The first molt for both of us.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
This is more of an update than a question.

Pumpkin will be 5 months old in two days (born Halloween 2014). He has been a little grouch lately, first full on attacking my mom,but has also been snippy with me as well. I'm hoping part of this is because I just realism he is starting his (our) first molt.
He has been dropping dandruff all over my shirts for a few days so when I looked closer I noticed that he's covered in pin feathers. Poor thing, must be so uncomfortable. He has been letting me preen the ones he can't reach and seems so happy to let me do it. It's my fit time helping a bird with this so he has let me know when I'm doing it wrong (twice). But now that I've started he doesn't want me to stop and put him down. Poor thing I thought he was just being mean to me. :rainbow1:

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i never really noticed the first molt of my first bird,but all four of mine never seem to have a real molt,sure they have periods were they drop feathers but i never see lots of pin feathers.
Mine do bathe everyday,i believe that helps with it.
Hope it will be over soon for your baby.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yeah just be patient. As long as he bathes frequently and allows you to help open the pin feathers, he will be good. Also, if he doesn't want to be handled as much, don't think it will always be that way. Just until the bigger part of the molt is done. Good luck!

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Thanks for the heads up! He has always bathed very frequently. He take at least one bath a day, usually two for the last 3 months. He just loves water!! I do hope that's helping him. And I am learning what he can tolerate for preen8ng. He's teaching me. It's good to know he won be so moody forever. My fiance was worried he might be growing up and coming 8nto his true personality.

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

I feel so bad!! He comes to me literally pointing out pin feathers with his foot that he can't reach. He let's me try to help but I keep hurting him and he screams!! I feel so useless! I'm trying to be gentle but I've never done this before. I don't want to twist or pull so I've been pinching with my thumb nail...

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Pinching the blood feathers can hurt. Not sure if it is nerves or maybe blood being forced back down the shaft. I just kinda rub my finger back and forth across them and watch out for the dark ones. When they dry up, they seem to get a bit different color so then I'll gently rub them between finger and thumb. They still will crack with light pressure and if there is no protest then maybe a little more rubbing. I've noticed that it is best to not try to rub off all the shell. If you crack and remove some of the shell, the feather will absorb water during the next bath and crack off more of it.

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

That's really helpful thank you!! I do stay away from the dark ones and the ones that are still completely encased. I try to only mess with the white flakes ones that already have the tip of feather breaking through. I was trying to get most of the casing off, knowing that cracking it should be enough is awesome. He bathes himself all the time so if the water will take it off after I Crack it that's great!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts