The post I dreaded making...

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
This is partly about my flock but also off topic relating to my personal health. This year has been hands down the worst year of my life for frequent ambulance rides to the ER and life threatening episodes.

First I want to say that I know there are people who may judge me and that is your right to do if that's how you feel I respect that. I will ask you to consider unless you have had asthma know someone who does or been water boarded that you try to understand the choices I was forced to make.

I have known that cockatoos and truly powder down birds were too much for my asthma, I can't have shedding dogs, and I can't have cats at all. There are types of food that I love that I cannot eat. I am an artist who loves to work in oil paints and do that completely solvent free to take into account my very sensitive lungs. My issues with my breathing really started in my late 30s I am now almost 50. Truthfully, much of it may have been exposure to parrot dust and not wearing any mask protection for so many years when I worked for my breeder friend, she was older and I did all the cleaning and maintenance of the space. Even after I began my career in social work I helped her out. After that for years I continued to do re-hab, hand feeding and fostering/boarding. Why this so adversely effected my lungs and doesn't with others working with parrots I don't know. I have had to realize my limits and live within them. Eclectus have never bothered me at all of course because they really don't produce any dust so I have pretty much stuck with them and I adore them.

However, I have always missed Karma the older YNA that I had for 15 yrs before he died in my arms. So this last year I got the baby YNA Mystic, I didn't seem to be having any issues. Then came my hybrid Mojo, still things seemed okay, Brady (YNA) I wasn't looking but she chose me in such a similar fashion as Karma that I felt she needed me. Belle came about because people from my husbands work needed to re home their bird after having her/him for over 10 yrs that was Belle.

I have had to find homes for all the amazon's except Brady who I am going to do all that I can to be able to keep because of how bonded she is to me. The episodes with my breathing escalated to dangerous situations shortly after Belle got here. I had assumed Belle was a girl because of the none aggressive manner she had and her posturing. Once quarantine was over and Belle got a first time look at the other amazons HE lost his mind! I haven't seen aggression like that since my days of dealing with breeding pairs. He wanted to get to and KILL Brady and now suddenly viciously attacked and I mean launched himself at you and would bite repeatedly! Walking by his cage he would attack the bars!

So I sent in a dna kit to confirm that yes he was in fact a HE! I spoke to people about it and really he was kept like a breeder by the previous owners except he didn't have a mate. He was never taken out of the cage because their pit bull would try to kill him and the wife was afraid because when he was a baby he had smacked into a window trying to fly so they just left him in his cage and any interaction was between the bars so basically that is the life of a breeder. I have seen enough to know that this was going to be hard wired in him to react badly around the other birds so Belle ended up going to a very good breeder who had a wonderful female looking for a mate. Upon meeting her he fell in love I am told and they are very attentive to each other.

I let things settle after Belle found a home and things continued to go from bad to worse with my breathing. By this time the weather had grown cooler so the house was more shut up. Now I had two very good air filters but it didn't seem to be helping. I had gotten to the point that I was on tank oxygen 24/7, could barely do anything without risking a full blown attack and had been on high doses of Prednisone 60 mg and still couldn't get it under control.

I couldn't work, I could barely take care of myself let alone everyone else!
After talking it over with my husband we decided finding great homes for the babies (YNA and Hybrid Mystic and Mojo) had to be the next step. :( I cried constantly. I didn't care about money I was looking for perfect homes. It took a while but many visits here with the families and me seeing their place they both found great homes I am happy to say.

I did try to make myself feel better by thinking that I had hand fed them and socialized them into wonderfully behaved young babies for a family to love same as I did when I raised parrots when I was younger.

Contemplating Brady was too much I was crushed, the depression I was in was very dark. I have always been the kind of person that feels that life was only worth it if you had a quality of life, at this point I had none. :(Recovering from all the attacks, finding homes for the babies, not being able to work (paint) which brings me such joy had just drained me.

Picture me sitting on a chair in the kitchen attached to an oxygen tank cutting up chop for the eclectus and barely being able to do it.

Hard choices are always hard but when it's do this or you may die they really stop being choices and become something you have to do. I still couldn't bring myself to even talk about letting go of Brady. My husband would kindly start the conversation and I would go into melt down so we decided we would do everything first that we could for me to be able to hang on to just one of the amazons. We bought yet another air filter this one being a top of the line, very expensive, high capacity Austin Air. We bath Brady every other day my husband cleans her cage. (I still do everything for the eclectus without problems) so he is more than happy to help knowing what it means to me to be able to keep Brady.

My health has really turned around, now I am off the oxygen, even at night. I am not using my nubulizer or my rescue inhaler and everything with keeping just Brady seems to be back to what it was before. I am working again as well! This was a hard lesson for me, I know I could not have known how bad it would get but I still felt tremendous guilt and shame over having to re-home the other zon's. I want to publicly thank Wendy for being such a understanding comfort for me through all this. I really felt like I was going to lose it at times and I know it would have been that much harder without your care and concern for my health!

So I thank you if you have read this far...if you think I am awful, I'm sorry, believe me more than I can ever say. If you understand the pain and sacrifice I felt making these decisions than thank you for your care.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I feel so bad for you! I have tears rolling down my face! I know how hard this must have been for you to do. I wish there was something I could do or say to make it better, but I know I can only send you "virtual hugs"

I'm glad you get to keep Brady at least. I know it doesn't make up for the others, but I know you found them wonderful homes where they will be loved and cared for.

Know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
You sound like you have to be heartbroken. I too have asthma. Severe when i was young. Allergic to everything as well. Since I was about 20, it has subsided. I rarely have all out attacks anymore. I just get the occasional tight, heavy chest, which I use my Provental inhaler for.
This is one of the main reasons I purchased an Ekki. I truly lucked out! He is amazing! It's strange how things kinda fall into place in life, sometimes.
I can tell you hurt over what you had to do to survive. But do keep in mind, if you didn't raise & place those babies in great homes. Then who would've? You are doing the best you could with the lungs God gave you. I truly believe there is a reason for everthing that happens in life. Rest assured that you will be one of the lucky ones that receives an outstanding gift when the time comes.
You put your life on the line for some of God's little creatures that needed you!:21: Can't ask for more than that!

Bless you and your family! :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh Laura, I completely understand! I do!!!!! *BIG HUG FOR YOU*
You tried so hard, I know you did, and it's not your fault. The guilt feeling is only natural. I think you are one of the best, most knowledgeable, experienced people on this forum. This can happen to anyone. As I said before several times in posts, I hate hearing when a person very new with parrots says the term "forever home" thinking that it can NEVER happen. These unforeseen situations can and do unfortunately happen. Obviously, it goes without saying that's never our intent.

I've had to rehome too, and it hurts BADLY to think about these girls I had. I also was fortunate enough to find above average homes to give these expensive birds for free. So many tears, so much pain. Trust me I know how much it hurts.

I was touched by you sharing your story tonight, and I'm very happy to hear that your symptoms are back to a manageable level and that you can get back to your daily routine and the things you love most. Yay Brady will be there for you :).

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I feel so bad for you! I have tears rolling down my face! I know how hard this must have been for you to do. I wish there was something I could do or say to make it better, but I know I can only send you "virtual hugs"

I'm glad you get to keep Brady at least. I know it doesn't make up for the others, but I know you found them wonderful homes where they will be loved and cared for.

Know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Your kind thoughts and virtual hugs mean the WORLD to me, thank you!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
You did the right thing. If you are not well you can not take care of others.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
I think you already feel bad enough about this without the added worry about what everyone will think or say. You did everything possible to try and keep them, when that didn't work out you found them good homes, we know you love your birds! Sending prayers your way! (and hugs too)

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh Laura, I completely understand! I do!!!!! *BIG HUG FOR YOU*
You tried so hard, I know you did, and it's not your fault. The guilt feeling is only natural. I think you are one of the best, most knowledgeable, experienced people on this forum. This can happen to anyone. As I said before several times in posts, I hate hearing when a person very new with parrots says the term "forever home" thinking that it can NEVER happen. These unforeseen situations can and do unfortunately happen. Obviously, it goes without saying that's never our intent.

I've had to rehome too, and it hurts BADLY to think about these girls I had. I also was fortunate enough to find above average homes to give these expensive birds for free. So many tears, so much pain. Trust me I know how much it hurts.

I was touched by you sharing your story tonight, and I'm very happy to hear that your symptoms are back to a manageable level and that you can get back to your daily routine and the things you love most. Yay Brady will be there for you :).

I am sure this puts my comments recently about how Brady has really gotten me through so much lately into perspective. I promised my husband who is my soul-mate that I would re-home Brady if it meant I would die if I didn't but that I needed him to help me do all that we could to avoid this and he really has!

Many times during this whole process I thought about reaching out to the forum but either I actually couldn't make it to the computer from being so sick and weak or I was ashamed and guilt ridden. I really thank those of you that understand this was not something I did lightly.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Many hugs to you, Laura!!

Please don't kick yourself for having to rehome them- you did the right thing and I know it was the hardest thing you had to do, but you shouldn't have to compromise your own health for anything...

I'm glad that you're feeling better and that you found wonderful homes for your babies and were able to keep Brady!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So I thank you if you have read this far...if you think I am awful, I'm sorry, believe me more than I can ever say. If you understand the pain and sacrifice I felt making these decisions than thank you for your care.

I think you are wonderful! 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Far too many people are fearful to the core and fail to pursue all sorts of endeavors. As a parrot lover I can understand your desire to have pet Amazons. You tried valiantly and ultimately placed them in the best homes possible. Hopefully you can tolerate Brady - would more frequent bathing help minimize the dander?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
OMG, Labell, I'm so sorry to hear about this! :( But I'm glad you can keep Brady and your eckies. And it seems you have a wonderful hubby. :)
I guess we all get a burden to carry in this life, and sometimes health ailments are not the worst ones. I don't have asthma or allergies, but I have serious problems with my back, and know what it is to visit ER several times (especially without insurance) and being bed-ridden for a while. It never goes away completely, and you have to be always careful... I sometimes feel great and start doing things like other people do, like helping my hubby to shovel the driveway (my last winter ambulance visit). But I have so many other blessings in life, that I would never dare to complain. You just do your best with the means you have.
BTW, I paint professionally, and I transferred to acrylics long time ago - they are no worse than oils! Have you tried acrylics at all? They are not toxic or smelly.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

I think you are wonderful! 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Far too many people are fearful to the core and fail to pursue all sorts of endeavors. As a parrot lover I can understand your desire to have pet Amazons. You tried valiantly and ultimately placed them in the best homes possible. Hopefully you can tolerate Brady - would more frequent bathing help minimize the dander?

I am bathing her every other day, that has helped a lot. I don't want to over do it with her, do you think I could mist lightly everyday? That would I am sure help even more.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
OMG, Labell, I'm so sorry to hear about this! :( But I'm glad you can keep Brady and your eckies. And it seems you have a wonderful hubby. :)
I guess we all get a burden to carry in this life, and sometimes health ailments are not the worst ones. I don't have asthma or allergies, but I have serious problems with my back, and know what it is to visit ER several times (especially without insurance) and being bed-ridden for a while. It never goes away completely, and you have to be always careful... I sometimes feel great and start doing things like other people do, like helping my hubby to shovel the driveway (my last winter ambulance visit). But I have so many other blessings in life, that I would never dare to complain. You just do your best with the means you have.
BTW, I paint professionally, and I transferred to acrylics long time ago - they are no worse than oils! Have you tried acrylics at all? They are not toxic or smelly.

I don't mind not using solvents I use a brand of oil paint that comes out like butter so I don't add any medium (the paint itself actually doesn't have a smell or odor toxicity) and I clean up with oil and then soap, no turpentine. I adore oil paint and while I have painted using acrylics and watercolor oil paints are my favorite.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh, just the word 'turpentine' makes me cringe! Our whole flat smelled of it when I was young. there were no acrylics at that time, and the oil paint was a requirement at the college. But there is nothing deeper and warmer than oils - I still miss them. I discovered acrylics only when I came to USA, and never used oils since then. I'm paranoid about my birds safety (I sometimes take them to the room where I paint), so want to be rather afraid than sorry. :)
What is the brand of those oil paints? Are they safe around birds? I would love to try them.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh, just the word 'turpentine' makes me cringe! Our whole flat smelled of it when I was young. there were no acrylics at that time, and the oil paint was a requirement at the college. But there is nothing deeper and warmer than oils - I still miss them. I discovered acrylics only when I came to USA, and never used oils since then. I'm paranoid about my birds safety (I sometimes take them to the room where I paint), so want to be rather afraid than sorry. :)
What is the brand of those oil paints? Are they safe around birds? I would love to try them.

Oh absolutely, the eclectus and Brady love hanging out in the studio with me while I paint and listen to music. My favorite brand made in NY is "Vasari" (it is dear in price though so that is one I get for my birthday, Christmas, Anniversary or if I sell a really expensive painting I treat myself, so I treasure it!) then there is Williamsburg, Gamblin and some Winsor Newton ones I use as well. But basically any oil paint is safe, it's the solvents and mediums that are the problem, eating/ingesting oil paint is toxic especially the lead, cobalts, Cadmiums but the paint itself is just pigment and oil as a binder typically linseed oil which is perfectly safe. The toxic-ness comes in with solvents and cleaners. So when I am done painting for the session I wipe my brushes off well on old phone book paper and a rag. Then I roll them around in linseed or walnut oil and that really pulls out the excess paint then I wash them with a good quality brush cleaning soap. In the end no toxic fumes or chemicals to deal with. My husband varnishes my painting once finished during good weather outside so no issues there either.:) Obviously I don't let the birds come near my palette of paints but they love hanging out on Java trees with me while I work.

I am often asked about the safety of oil paintings and I always say "if you refrain from eating and drinking while you paint and you promise to never, ever lick your paintings even if the color is so beautiful and juicy that you want to all will be well!" LOL

Last edited:

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Your story made me cry. Hugs to you, I know how hard it is what you had to do.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am in tears for you as I read this, I am so sorry you are having to make this choice for your own survival. Know that giving up your birds while still alive is wiser and kinder than letting them kill you and forcing rushed rehomes :(

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Oh absolutely, the eclectus and Brady love hanging out in the studio with me while I paint and listen to music. My favorite brand made in NY is "Vasari" (it is dear in price though so that is one I get for my birthday, Christmas, Anniversary or if I sell a really expensive painting I treat myself, so I treasure it!) then there is Williamsburg, Gamblin and some Winsor Newton ones I use as well. But basically any oil paint is safe, it's the solvents and mediums that are the problem, eating/ingesting oil paint is toxic especially the lead, cobalts, Cadmiums but the paint itself is just pigment and oil as a binder typically linseed oil which is perfectly safe. The toxic-ness comes in with solvents and cleaners. So when I am done painting for the session I wipe my brushes off well on old phone book paper and a rag. Then I roll them around in linseed or walnut oil and that really pulls out the excess paint then I wash them with a good quality brush cleaning soap. In the end no toxic fumes or chemicals to deal with. My husband varnishes my painting once finished during good weather outside so no issues there either.:) Obviously I don't let the birds come near my palette of paints but they love hanging out on Java trees with me while I work.

I am often asked about the safety of oil paintings and I always say "if you refrain from eating and drinking while you paint and you promise to never, ever lick your paintings even if the color is so beautiful and juicy that you want to all will be well!" LOL
Thank you so much! I'll check those out - I didn't know only the first brand, but the others sound familiar. Windsor Newton makes horrible acrylics, so I hope they make better oils. I use Golden and just a tube or two of Liquitex. Oh, now it's deviating from parrots, but it's "off topic" anyway, and so it's okay!
I know an amazing Chicago based artist who paints parrots, and she makes the main painting with acrylics, and then finishes with oil - sounds like a great technique to me. And looks just gorgeous.
Good your hubby can varnish outside - here during the cold season it's a huge problem for me since the varnishes don't dry in cold (it's -7F here right now). :( I can only use brush on, and the least stinky one in the house. I make tons of Christmas ornaments and stuff, and just have to close the door to my art room when I dry them.
I would love to see some of your artwork!
You are such an amazing person - regardless of all those difficulties you still manage to do so much and have such a loving heart! I'm sure your life will get better - it was a bad year for you, but this one will be better!
HUGS!

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. You shouldn't mind the people who think you're awful, I can't see why anyone would think that in the first place, it's completely understandable you had to do what you had to do.

Glad everything seems to be better now, so happy for you :)

Have you shared some of your art on here? I'd love to see some of it :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Wow! Laura, I had no idea you were going through all that heartache! I think you have selflessly cared for your birds as far as you possibly could and, when the time came, you put their needs ahead of your own. I take my hat off to you!

I have asthma too and I understand how it is when you're so drained and struggling for the next breath, you doubt you'll make it till morning. A person can't live like that and she shouldn't try to. I think you've taken a hard look at life and what you can manage and you've been willing to put yourself through the heartache for the good of your birds. Bless you!

I hope life pans out beautifully for you from now on. You deserve to be able to enjoy your birds AND a wheeze-free life so that everyone can be happy. :)

Hugs,
Trish XX

Most Reactions