The Return Of The Swing

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you so much, Scott! I've been wondering about the food tucked into the feathers for a while. Your answers have helped convince me to have Popeye DNA tested. I would have done that sooner but the previous owner was so insistent.

You're welcome! :white1: Will be interesting to learn whether Popeye bucks the trend!

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
It will be interesting. I think we'll be calling him Poppy pretty soon.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Oh Allee I think you should DEFINITELY do it!

Poppy at least sounds a lot like Popeye lol! You already have a girl named Harry... ;)

Aren't female Toos a bit easier to handle or are more predictable than mature males?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Aren't female Toos a bit easier to handle or are more predictable than mature males?

Two of my eight cockatoos are female. Both were wild-caught and the Citron wants nothing to do with people, but the Goffin is extremely sweet and will do everything but perch on a hand. 'Peanut" is very stable and doesn't seem to engage in typical cockatoo silliness - except for the objects below the wing ritual. Four of the males are hand-fed and extremely playful but well socialized and capable of self-entertainment. The male Citron is very unpredictable with his beak and accordingly is the only hand-fed bird not given unrestricted shoulder privileges. The three hand fed male Goffins can essentially do no wrong!

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Oh Allee I think you should DEFINITELY do it!

Poppy at least sounds a lot like Popeye lol! You already have a girl named Harry... ;)

Julie, that's what I've heard too. That's another reason I think Popeye is a she. I kept waiting for the unpredictability and U2 craziness but with Popeye, it just never happened. I contacted the owner through my kids, she's still their client, she pretty much called me an idiot and said of course Popeye is a male. In over a year the woman has not once asked how Popeye and Zeke are doing. Real sweet lady.

PS. Julie, I hit the edit button by accident, I didn't edit your post. Sorry about that.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots

Two of my eight cockatoos are female. Both were wild-caught and the Citron wants nothing to do with people, but the Goffin is extremely sweet and will do everything but perch on a hand. 'Peanut" is very stable and doesn't seem to engage in typical cockatoo silliness - except for the objects below the wing ritual. Four of the males are hand-fed and extremely playful but well socialized and capable of self-entertainment. The male Citron is very unpredictable with his beak and accordingly is the only hand-fed bird not given unrestricted shoulder privileges. The three hand fed male Goffins can essentially do no wrong!

Thanks again, Scott, you have an amazing flock. I've always adored the goffins, the ones I've met are such lovable clowns. I don't currently know anyone outside of the forum who has Toos. At the risk of asking too many questions, do your Toos scratch like chickens? Popeye does that when he really likes something. Do your birds enjoy each other's company? How long have you had your wild caught birds?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks again, Scott, you have an amazing flock. I've always adored the goffins, the ones I've met are such lovable clowns. I don't currently know anyone outside of the forum who has Toos. At the risk of asking too many questions, do your Toos scratch like chickens? Popeye does that when he really likes something. Do your birds enjoy each other's company? How long have you had your wild caught birds?

No risk, ask away! :) Lovable clown is an excellent descriptor for the Goffin. I adore every aspect of their complex personalities and consider them to be my favorite species.

Haven't seen them scratch like chickens, though they do scratch their heads and faces while idly relaxing. Lots of head bobbing and rapid twists and turns of the head that seem spontaneous but spread to the whole flock. Some interesting behaviors in doing rapid 360 turns in place by pirouetting on their feet and hopping like rabbits! They love to be handled and touched virtually everywhere; no adverse hormonal or behavioral problems have been noted.

The flock began when my Mom purchased a pair of wild-caught but bonded Goffins 26 years ago. "Peanut" and "Popcorn" had lived with their prior family for at least a dozen years but had not produced. It took 7 years of varied flight cages and assorted nest boxes until the first chick hatched. All appeared well until about day 4 when my Mom noticed an absence of peeping, and discovered a small, cold, greyish lump in the nest, abandoned by the parents. She performed an amazing rescue job, fed him every 2 hours, and once viable, named him "Gabby." Two additional chicks, "Abby" and "Squeaky" arrived within the next three years, and likewise required premature separation from their feckless parents. The offspring were always housed independent of the adults until roughly 5 years ago. Popcorn, the adult male, began attacking Peanut, at times viciously. Mindful of the legendary cockatoo male aggression, they were permanently separated, with Popcorn relegated to the large flight cage. Peanut had become well socialized following a bout of fungal infection requiring daily meds for about 5 weeks, so I experimented placing her in the room with her 3 offspring plus a Citron, Moluccan, and TAG - all in perpetually opened cages. She hated her oldest, Gabby, and became closest with her middle child, Abby. Abby in turn began to attack Gabby, necessitating a strict cage rotation schedule. Gabby is OK with Squeaky and the 3 non-Goffins while Peanut and Abby are caged. The other cycle has only Gabby caged with everyone else free to mingle. All the cockatoos hang out/groom/share food and toys while the TAG minds his own business. On very rare occasions the TAG will fly to a nearby perch but always maintains a "bubble" of at least 3' distance!

Many have shared the concept of an avian "soul mate" and mine is Gabby. From his frail beginnings to an incredibly affectionate nature with a distinct "baby face," we have a closeness that definitely crosses the species threshold.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Scott, thank you for sharing your flock's amazing story, the insight is much appreciated. Peanut and Popcorn are living proof of how adaptable and intelligent cockatoos are. And Gabby's story, that is so sweet. Your mom obviously has the magic touch and passed it along to you. It must have been a wonderful experience watching Peanut and Popcorn's offspring grow and thrive.

I'm not surprised ET keeps a reasonable distance between himself and the gang of Toos. You didn't mention Angel and Gonzo? How do they fit in?

I've also heard many times of the legendary aggression and nightmarish hormonal behavior of male Toos. I hold Popeye like a puppy and scratch under his wings and hold hands with him, with no sign of him getting the wrong impression. He did fall in love with his toy zombie and regurgitate for it.

It must be fun to watch your group play together. I've never seen the pirouette and bunny hop. You know your story really makes me want to adopt a goffin. Thanks for that. I did ask for it though.

Where's Leanna, she should be reading this.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
I ordered Popeye or Poppy, Penny, Pidey, or Penelope's sample kit for feather testing from Avian Biotech so we can end the gender confusion. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Another great thread almost missed! I absolutely love that last pic of Popeye/Poppy/Penelope/Penny/Petunia! (S)He really does seem to be giggling in delight with her recovered swing! Hahaha!

Very much looking forward to hearing the results of that DNA test.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh wow, Scott, I've been meaning to ask other Too owners if their birds do that. Popeye tries to tuck pellets, wood chips, paper, and other items into his feathers. Does anyone have a male Too that does that, or is it a female behavior?

Popeye's previous owner insists he was DNA tested by his breeder and she's certain he's a male, but I've had a feeling for a while now that Popeye is a she. I've seen several sources that say female U2's have brown eyes and males have black eyes. Does anyone know if that's true or a myth?

Leanna, what color are Peanut's eyes?

Peanut's eyes are really dark...however, if you look close they are brown. I had heard that about the eyes also and wondered, because Pea's eyes are pretty dark, if she may be a male. Her previous owner says she is indeed a she! My friend (sister of previous owner) said that her sister asked one time right after I got Pea how she was doing and she hasn't mentioned her since. Sounds like Peanut's previous owner and Popeye's previous owner have alot in common..lol.

(sorry I took so long to respond, I just saw your post asking me about Peanut's eyes:rolleyes:)

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Scott, thank you for sharing your flock's amazing story, the insight is much appreciated. Peanut and Popcorn are living proof of how adaptable and intelligent cockatoos are. And Gabby's story, that is so sweet. Your mom obviously has the magic touch and passed it along to you. It must have been a wonderful experience watching Peanut and Popcorn's offspring grow and thrive.

I'm not surprised ET keeps a reasonable distance between himself and the gang of Toos. You didn't mention Angel and Gonzo? How do they fit in?

I've also heard many times of the legendary aggression and nightmarish hormonal behavior of male Toos. I hold Popeye like a puppy and scratch under his wings and hold hands with him, with no sign of him getting the wrong impression. He did fall in love with his toy zombie and regurgitate for it.

It must be fun to watch your group play together. I've never seen the pirouette and bunny hop. You know your story really makes me want to adopt a goffin. Thanks for that. I did ask for it though.

I'm here:D...and reading...lol. Add a goffins to my list for my sister to get..lol:09:. My sister in law also wants to get a bird so I can just make sure they both get different kinds..lol.

So, you hold Popeye and scratch under his wings? Peanut will turn and lift her wing like she wants me to scratch under it. How will I know if she takes it the wrong way? I've been keeping it to just her head and neck just to be safe, especially since I'm still learning her crazy body language:32:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
I ordered Popeye or Poppy, Penny, Pidey, or Penelope's sample kit for feather testing from Avian Biotech so we can end the gender confusion. :)

That's great...I can't wait to see the results!!:p

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Another great thread almost missed! I absolutely love that last pic of Popeye/Poppy/Penelope/Penny/Petunia! (S)He really does seem to be giggling in delight with her recovered swing! Hahaha!

Very much looking forward to hearing the results of that DNA test.

Uncle Stephen, how are you going to feel when I rename this poor girl Petunia? I can't help myself, I like it. I'll tell Petunia you liked her photo. She was sooo happy to have her security swing back.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Intelligent and adaptable, but a shame their long relationship ended with a human intercession. I shudder to contemplate the end result had nature taken its course. Gabby was abandoned at such a young age he needed hand-feeding every 2 hours by day and about 4 to 6 hour intervals at night. Fortunately at the time my Mom had a benevolent boss who allowed her to bring the babies to work and take the time to feed them! She still recalls the sleepless nights and fatigued days performing a labor of love!

I suspect ET and the gang peacefully coexist because there is no competition for scarce resources.

Gonzo is our first family bird, a BFA acquired about 27 or 28 years ago. Angel is the female Vosmaeri Ekkie. Neither have much interest in the other birds, though she will tolerate Gabby grooming her - somewhat awkward as he believes the upper-body hairlike feathers are meant to be plucked! Rounding out the cast are Big Bird the Moluccan and Gandalf the male Citron. He had some aggression issues with his mate, so Alice the female Citron is in a large flight cage in the same room as Popcorn. They seem very much interested, though the clash of sexes and size differential give me pause from introducing them.

Your interactions with Popeye and my experiences suggest some Cockatoos will tolerate what may be considered inappropriate touching as compared with other species. I am so privileged to have such a close relationship with them; it's a magical feeling with one on each shoulder, another cradled in my arms, and snuggling nose to beak with Peanut atop a perch!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
OMG Scott, you have a female Vos Ekkie?!! How did I not know this?! :11: the female Vos has got to be #1 on my list for most BEAUTIFULLY colored parrot species available IMO. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

OMG Scott, you have a female Vos Ekkie?!! How did I not know this?! :11: the female Vos has got to be #1 on my list for most BEAUTIFULLY colored parrot species available IMO. :)

Angel is a stunning bird, somewhat undeserving of her name!! She was acquired from a friend of my Mom's with her own lineage of Ekkies that produced Sasquatch the magnificent male. (I've posted about his terribly untimely loss from a surgical blunder) Angel was from a line of Ekkies who found refuge after their owner passed away - this arrangement seemed to provide a genetically optimal mix. She was from the beginning a one-person bird regardless of socialization technique and rejected Sasquatch after a few months of paired living. Any female who approaches her is treated to an angry display of growling and posturing. So sweet with me, however. Angel used to have a mellow voice and reasonable vocabulary but has seemingly tired of verbal communication!

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Scott, I'm so glad you were able to intercede with Peanut and Popcorn before anything awful happened. You have an incredible flock, thank you for the introductions. It's good to know such a diverse group can live together peacefully, for the most part. You're probably right about plentiful resources.

Leanna, I think Scott answered you're question in the last paragraph of his post. I think it's really according to the individual bird and the human. If the bird sees you as it's mate then, yes, inappropriate handling can cause problems, but I don't think that's true in every case. You'll learn to read Peanut's body language and if she gets the wrong idea, you'll see the signs and know you need to limit the handling.

Most Reactions

Latest posts