The Struggle to Find Homes for Unwanted Parrots

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
This is important to make sure new prospective bird owners know about the adoption route AND *why* so many of these animals (all of them once cute, loving babies) end up in these places.

I know when I started looking for a parrot, I started looking for breeders in my state. I had no clue avian rescues existed and just assumed people bought parrots and kept them forever. I was about to put a deposit down on a baby actually, but decided to give the local animal shelter a call "just in case" (but I couldn't imagine parrots would be up for adoption very often). They gave me the number for an avian rescue in Tucson and I knew right then I had to adopt an older bird in need of a loving home (and found Kiwi:)).

OP
Lacewing

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
The organization Phoenix Landing has a regulation that for all bird adoptions there are educational classes that must be attended and a home inspection that must be passed. Do you think there would be less unwanted birds if this were true for all new bird owners? Of course this will never happen, especially for the people that shop for birds in a pet store.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
My neighbor was determined to get a baby because of the relationship she thought you could only get by raising a baby.

She saw me snuggling with my amazon and said, "That's the relationship I want!"

- so I reminded her that particular 'zon came to me at 8 years of age [and only a few weeks after I put my prejudice against amazons aside]. Technically, he came to my husband, but the 'zon had definite ideas about his next companion & he picked me.

You don't need a baby & you don't need a specific species. You need a compatible personality & "Mr. Right" is easier to identify in a rescue, where he [or she] already has a fully developed personality.

[My neighbor is now the companion to 3 rehomed parrots & doing a great job with them. One of her flock came to our notice on this very forum!]

Most Reactions

Latest posts