The third test came back negative?!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
This is insane. I am at work and am not supposed to be on the computer.

The vets just called, and Wingnuts 3rd test, which was conducted by the university of Georgia came back NEGATIVE.

They told me not to get too excited......yeah, right. Because the Dr. Needs to talk to the head DVM down there..... So we are waiting again....

This is insane.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
OMG OMG OMG OMG [emoji33][emoji33] seriously????

So ALL your birds have tested negative now?? I seriously hope this one wasn't a mistake and is for real because that is such a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE GARGANTUAN RELIEF!!!

How long until they call you back??

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
You know what - for what it's worth - I agree. They shouldn't have called and gotten your hopes up and then told you not to get too excited. I hope for your sake that it is negative and you can put this behind you. Did they say WHEN the vet was going to talk to the University DVM?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
You know what - for what it's worth - I agree. They shouldn't have called and gotten your hopes up and then told you not to get too excited. I hope for your sake that it is negative and you can put this behind you. Did they say WHEN the vet was going to talk to the University DVM?

I know right?! Why in the world didn't they just wait till after they talked to the dvm? Don't they understand they've been on enough emotional roller coasters already???

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Wow! What an emotional roller coaster! I really hope this means that they are all negative and you can put this behind you!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
None of this is making any sense... and at this point I'd be fighting the urge to choke someone.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I would be all over that vets' office right now. I understand BirdyMomma is probably working and can't do it herself but this is no way for them to handle this situation. Argh! I'm so aggrivated right now. BirdyMomma you can PM me their phone number and I will be glad to give them a piece of my mind if you don't want to give them a piece of yours. You may be too upset but I'm just mad. :rolleyes:

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
this is just crazy and completely unfair to you. the back and forth is ridiculous and if I were you, I would be demanding for someone to make sense of it all. that being said I hope the third rest was correct.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
There's nothing I would like more than to hear that Wingnut is healthy and all your other birds are safe. At least you weren't forced to wait very long for the latest test results. I wish you, Wingnut, and the rest of your flock the absolute best possible outcome.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Michele, some things make absolutely NO sense to me here.

Wingnut had his second exam on 5/5.On 5/13 you found out he was positive.

On 5/14 in the evening your other fids were tested, and Wingnut’s blood samples were sent to Georgia.And on 5/15 they called you and told you they were all negative.WHY did Wingnut’s results take over a week, but your other fids’ results came back less than 24 hours later?

How did they mail Wingnut’s blood to Georgia that it took less than 2 days for them to not only receive the sample, but also test it?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I was not aware of the dates on the testing and must also wonder now as well...how is this possible to get the results this quickly?

In the end these are your birds and your decision however I must say that if Wingnut is positive and the others are negative it is in my opinion selfish to keep the others and condemn them to this kind of horrible death. I understand Wingnut is healthy now and I can't imagine the pain of considering euthanizing what looks like a healthy animal and if he were your only bird then I would say wait until you are seeing signs that he is in pain or beginning to suffer, but if the others are negative how is it right or fair for them to be exposed because continued exposure will ensure that they end up positive as well if they aren't already.:( I don't know and maybe my opinion is unasked for and unwanted, this is every bird keepers nightmare, I know that!:(

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Michele, some things make absolutely NO sense to me here.

Wingnut had his second exam on 5/5.On 5/13 you found out he was positive.

On 5/14 in the evening your other fids were tested, and Wingnut’s blood samples were sent to Georgia.And on 5/15 they called you and told you they were all negative.WHY did Wingnut’s results take over a week, but your other fids’ results came back less than 24 hours later?

How did they mail Wingnut’s blood to Georgia that it took less than 2 days for them to not only receive the sample, but also test it?

I don't know if I'm doing this quote thing right.

They overnighted everything this time. I have the charge on the bill. I don't know if that satisfies that concern.... It seems odd to me too. Perhaps they told both labs that time was of the essence? I don't know, AND I got no call back tonight, which means that I have to wait till Monday the earliest. I was told by the vet before I left the office that the University Lab/doctors don't work on weekends.....so.
As some of you have touched on, I AM READY TO CHOKE THE EVERLOVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF SOMEONE. Honestly, this is almost like abuse. Emotional abuse, and mental anguish. My entire family is a WRECK. I feel like the vet should have made time to speak with me this evening when I got done with work. All I was told was to continue being careful.
I feel like an idiot. Believe me, I ask all of the pertinent questions, but I get very few succinct answers. I want so badly to feel relieved right now..... But I don't trust anyone involved in this anymore. I feel like I want to bring Wingnut to a different vet, perhaps out of state, give a different name, and have another test done.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so unsure whether to be overjoyed Wingnut is ok, or to question the credibility of this vet.... 2 positives and then a "miraculous" negative sounds off to me. I really hope that all of your birds are negative and this was just a huge, huge mistake. Better to be frustrated and find a new AV in the future than to actually have sick birds on your hands. I will be waiting to hear what all the vet has to say on Monday. Hoping for the best though:)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
This veterinarian has a STELLAR reputation. She is spoken of like she's a miracle worker or something. She is supposed to be the best in our area..... I'm kind of let down.

I am so dead serious about what I said about having an anonymous test done at a different vet.

I want to believe, so badly that he is negative, but how can this be explained? According to her, the lab conducting this third test, is the premier facility in the country for the study of this virus.....so who did the first tests? Three Stooges Laboratories? Is this third test going to result in yet another vet visit for poor Wingnut? He is still stressed about all of it. Will the others now need re- testing? Anyone wanna guess how much all of this costs? Is this a racket?
As a parent, I guess you do whatever you have to do, but I have to say, I'm pretty angry right now, and I want this all explained.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i hope for you your vets lab is incompetent.
And the other not.
But the test is really tricky.
I know of a case where a man had a parrot(i don't know what species)and the condition went really bad ,he tested the bird about a dozen times,always negative.
But not the last time,when the poor bird was on dead's door,only then came the test come back positive.
He was so sure he had it,and the vet just didn't believe him because of the test results.
Shows how reliable the test is.
I honesty hope for you it really is negative.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
This is a terrible thing to do to people. It messes with your head so bad. It makes you doubt yourself. It makes you crazy. It makes you second guess everything, and everyone who deals with your birds. You're afraid to touch your birds. You look in their eyes, and you think of what could happen, and your heart just breaks.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I can completely see why you're so frustrated. It is beyond me why after the initial positive, the second "confirmation test" wasn't sent to this "premier" lab that tested it as a negative. And if this final test is indeed negative (which would be great), how was the lab that gave 2 positive results testing the samples that they would be wrong not once, but twice? And hearing your other birds tested negative, and he tested negative by a reputable lab, it really gives hop these were 2 false positives instead of the other way around.

If it were my bird, I would seek another vet out. Stellar reputation or not, for such a serious matter, a second opinion is always a good idea.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Yep. We will do that, and we are going to do it under a different owner, and different birds names.
We will see what happens Monday. I will tell you all, as soon as I know.

Right now, I'm bummed, because Wingnut has become very bitey with me. More than he ever was. Just wants to chomp me.

Thank you everyone. I am so sorry for torturing everyone with this impossible saga.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh my goodness....I'm sorry they put you through this emotional roller coaster.....Have you thought about sending in samples on your own to places like Avian biotech???

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
How would I get the blood, MikeyTN? I think it requires a blood sample, not poop.

Most Reactions

Latest posts