They have my DREAM bird at THE BIRD HUT!!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
She belonged to a breeder who let her get away with anything and everything. No boundaries were set so she become uncontrollable for the breeder leading to the broken arm and a fear of the bird. She came to Jeanne and John years ago. She is a personal bird of theirs now not available for adoption. Jeanne loves her even though she has her moments where she isn't well behaved.

EDIT: I agree with the crossbreeding. I'm not a fan and think Piaui looks better but she is definitely unique looking.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She belonged to a breeder who let her get away with anything and everything. No boundaries were set so she become uncontrollable for the breeder leading to the broken arm and a fear of the bird. She came to Jeanne and John years ago. She is a personal bird of theirs now not available for adoption. Jeanne loves her even though she has her moments where she isn't well behaved.

EDIT: I agree with the crossbreeding. I'm not a fan and think Piaui looks better but she is definitely unique looking.

Stop me if you've heard that one before...

A macaw with no boundaries, who bites... and with something approaching hyacinth bite pressure no less!

That's the critical factor, and it's so easy to do when the bird is little...

Permissive parronting with macaws doesn't work so well. ("My bird broke my wrist! I've always thought they could do something like that if they wanted to. That would tend to get your attention.)

But he's in a place now where the perameters will end up being set.

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Yeah it is frustrating to say the least! We just got a green wing in a little while ago who was just too crazy (what the owners said)... But to me he just seems desperate to understand what he was doing wrong that no one wanted to talk to him. He is definitely falling in love with Jeanne and is learning pretty fast about boundaries and that listening to them gets him good things.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah it is frustrating to say the least! We just got a green wing in a little while ago who was just too crazy (what the owners said)... But to me he just seems desperate to understand what he was doing wrong that no one wanted to talk to him. He is definitely falling in love with Jeanne and is learning pretty fast about boundaries and that listening to them gets him good things.

That's the frustrating part to me. THESE BIRDS GET IT!!! Set the boundaries and they readily follow them, and if you interact with them they are eager to please....

They are so much like toddlers. They don't really want to get away with it. They want the guidance. But if they don't get the guidance they need... HOLY CRAP! THAT KID/FID is out of control!

Maggie was super bonded to me and 100% trained in FOUR days... Greenwings are among my very favorites!

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I had no idea Hyacinths were so rare! You are lucky to see one of the big cuties!

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Beemo, Sun Conure - Charlie, Lovebird - Benny, Zsa Zsa - Cockatiel, Poot - Red Vented Bulbul
Theres a pet store here that just got a Hyacinth in too. They want 15,000 for it and he/she is 15 yrs old. Way overly priced if you ask me. THey are such beautiful creatures though and I can only dream of having on...... for now. hahahahha

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Theres a pet store here that just got a Hyacinth in too. They want 15,000 for it and he/she is 15 yrs old. Way overly priced if you ask me. THey are such beautiful creatures though and I can only dream of having on...... for now. hahahahha

Isn't EVERYTHING more expensive in Hawaii?! LOL

Maybe besides local commodities...

Most Reactions

Latest posts