They have my DREAM bird at THE BIRD HUT!!!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Apparently Zoro was sold months ago within just a couple weeks of them getting him!

Brian wasn't there today (I forgot he doesn't work the weekends) so all I could do was ask one of the girls.

I did get Zilla some cool stuff though!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Really??? I wonder why he's still listed on their site then? Lol bummer though- I've never met a Hy before...glad he found a home so quickly!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Here you go guys... This is not the Hy who I mentioned is at the store now, but one back in February. I believe it was an adult male? He was falling asleep as Don held him :)

I can't take for granted that in this area we are very fortunate to be able to obtain or at least see just about any species available in the pet trade. It's so much fun visiting the stores :) Very tempting... when you see a wide variety you just want everything lol.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Here you go guys... This is not the Hy who I mentioned is at the store now, but one back in February. I believe it was an adult male? He was falling asleep as Don held him :)

I can't take for granted that in this area we are very fortunate to be able to obtain or at least see just about any species available in the pet trade. It's so much fun visiting the stores :) Very tempting... when you see a wide variety you just want everything lol.

OMG so precious!!!

There's a Hy at our shop, but I only get to pet him through the bars.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Yeah, they're kind of terrible at updating their site, lol. I did meet Zorro and he was a doll! I got nervous when he started beaking my finger though (just the SIZE of that thing!!) and didn't handle him much the time I saw him out.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yeah, they're kind of terrible at updating their site, lol. I did meet Zorro and he was a doll! I got nervous when he started beaking my finger though (just the SIZE of that thing!!) and didn't handle him much the time I saw him out.

Probably terrible at updating because they don't have the time! That's a busy store (every time I've been in) and all those birds they have to care for each day! I'm honestly surprised with their selection of birds and products that they aren't in a larger location with a bigger staff. They're a really good bird store!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I got to see one of these today. I didnt hold her but my husband did (I was busy snuggling a M2) she belongs to a man who has trained parrots and walks around Waikiki and charges you to take pictures with them, but today he set up as a member of our bird club as a fundraiser, brought his hyacinth, a GW macaw, 2 B&Gs, a M2 (not the one I was holding) a U2, a grey, a love bird, 2 sun conures, 1 jenday and 2 sunday conures. Made the rest of us look like weak sauce bird people lol :p They also have one at a local (horrible) pet store - 7 years old, they want $15,000 for her.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The females are worth more because of breeding.

This is Jeannes baby Piaui! I love playing with him:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Jeanne's hyacinth is around the same age and he pushes boundaries now to see what he can get away with every once in awhile.

Well, name a macaw that doesn't do that! Especially the young ones...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So today "I" got to experience some "Mac Mush" myself :). Usually... I won't bother trying to hold the older babies or adults since they many times try to bite (I'm sure they can tell by my body language I'm generally afraid of the x-larges) lol. Today, I got to indulge in holding (and snuggling close) a baby Hyacinth, a baby Scarlet, and baby Severe. Also petted the GW's, B&G's, and Red Fronteds. A Severe is Amazon size, but seemed so tiny after handling the extra large guys ;). Wow, I can see how you can fall in love! Still too big for me personally, but it was so fun.

So today, there were 2 Hyacinths at the bird store. Older one and a baby. The pic earlier in the thread that I posted with hubby cuddling was an adult in February. THIS ONE he is cuddling is a new baby! He's old enough that he's already perching. Already was sold too. $12000 which is pretty average for them retail.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
He is gorgeous:D Whoopie the hyacinth/harlequin cross at the shelter wanted to step up for me but still not confident enough to play with her without Jeanne there to intervene if need be! She waits till you aren't watching her to try and take a chunk out of you.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Riddick, do you have a pick of Whoopie? A Hy/Harlequin cross sounds interesting!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He is gorgeous:D Whoopie the hyacinth/harlequin cross at the shelter wanted to step up for me but still not confident enough to play with her without Jeanne there to intervene if need be! She waits till you aren't watching her to try and take a chunk out of you.

YEP! Favorite evil macaw trick. Rule 1 with macaws who bite is never let them know you are afraid of them. Rule 2 is never break eye contact. Rule 3 demonstrate that you can and will control the beak.

Do that, and they stop doing that stuff with you.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Whoopie is the one that broke her owners wrist. She knows what her beak can do and uses it. She tries the same thing with Jeanne even though she knows Jeanne won't put up with it. She isn't mean or aggressive she just knows the damage her beak can do. She likes coming out to play but she waits to you think she is being good to go after your face. I like Whoopie and will take her out eventually. She is a lot better then when she first came just has these smaller issues still. With consistent everyday work she would probably get even better but they don't have the time for that. The owners of the rescue are macaw people so we have a lot of macaws. Somewhere around 40 macaws at the moment and I keep saying we don't have the time or room for more but we have 3 new ones in quarantine right now haha. She has trouble saying no to the troubled macaws.

This is Whoopie she is gorgeous and very unusual looking. Okay well there would be pics but apparently photobucket is down for maintenance at the moment....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Whoopie is the one that broke her owners wrist. She knows what her beak can do and uses it. She tries the same thing with Jeanne even though she knows Jeanne won't put up with it. She isn't mean or aggressive she just knows the damage her beak can do. She likes coming out to play but she waits to you think she is being good to go after your face. I like Whoopie and will take her out eventually. She is a lot better then when she first came just has these smaller issues still. With consistent everyday work she would probably get even better but they don't have the time for that. The owners of the rescue are macaw people so we have a lot of macaws. Somewhere around 40 macaws at the moment and I keep saying we don't have the time or room for more but we have 3 new ones in quarantine right now haha. She has trouble saying no to the troubled macaws.

This is Whoopie she is gorgeous and very unusual looking. Okay well there would be pics but apparently photobucket is down for maintenance at the moment....

My Ruby Macaw rehab used to pull that kind of stuff. It took me 8 FRIGGIN' MONTHS to break her of it. That bird used to deliberately lure people in and then nail them. Lower your head, raise your feathers, give you the coy look, even say "headscratch?" AND THE SECOND YOU GOT YOUR HAND ANYWHERE NEAR HER... CHOMP!!! And then she'd laugh at you...

Two fingers on the beak when picking up or setting down, and don't break eye contact.

If a macaw suddenly goes after your face, lower your head, and use the top of your head to head butt the beak away... Then birdie goes to the floor...

"I DON'T THINK SO! HOMIE DON'T PLAY DAT!"

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Yes Jeanne and John know all the tricks. So far she is what she is.

Here she is photobucket is working again!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The reason I liked working with the biters is that most of them were super high IQ birds - with attitude - tone down the attitude, and you still have super high IQ Bird...

I'm guessing this one is ONE OF THOSE! I'd love to get down on the floor and play with that one.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Dang, she's cool looking! Is she their bird, or available for adoption??
I wish I wasn't so far away!
Do they have any idea why someone chose to breed that unusual cross?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Dang, she's cool looking! Is she their bird, or available for adoption??
I wish I wasn't so far away!
Do they have any idea why someone chose to breed that unusual cross?

Usually it's because Hys are hard to come by, and they only have one.

I personally HATE crossbreeding of the super rare birds. There's not enough of them as it is...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've seen a pic of B&G/Hyacinth hybrid that they are calling a Caloshua for some reason. I personally don't think it's a very good looking mix. Yes, they should leave Hy's alone.

Most Reactions