Thinking about building my birds a cage as well as a playgym

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I have been looking at cages because although the cage I have is adaquet I would like a big cage that is longer I have looked and the closest thing I have found to what I am looking for is a pervue flight cage but I'd still like something longer than that, that would allow my birds more than enough space to move around have plenty of toys and perches. I have some ideas of what I would like to build for them. I would like it to be about 30-35 inches high by 40-50 inches long and about 20-25 inches on the sides so that the two of them would have a ton of room and inorder to bind the cage together I was thinking of tightly winding some wire around the seems and then using some wood to cover the seems and keep from hurting the birds feet when they hang out on top of the cage. What do you guys think of this idea? I have also been looking at table top play gyms for cockatiels and have been less than impressed so I am thinking about building 2 or 3 to give them a variety but still have to think about what I want to do with that. When I have either of these done I will give post pictures of them.:grey::yellow1:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
DIY is always good and I always encourage it, but if you are building a cage, there are so many things you need to consider. Remember, you can only use powder coated or stainless steel. You should use timber that is un-treated. Consider bar spacing, door placement, feeder placement, poop trays, cleaning, security etc etc........in this case, buying one may be better.

The play gym is a lot easier and I definitely recommend building that. I also recommend (bird safe) natural branches, if they are available to you. They are just so much more interesting than dowel and give your birds feet good exercise.

FYI here are a couple that I have made:

http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/5231-buddys-new-gym.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/5338-eddies-play-stand.html

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
DIY is always good and I always encourage it, but if you are building a cage, there are so many things you need to consider. Remember, you can only use powder coated or stainless steel. You should use timber that is un-treated.

Plus un-treated wood will not last outdoors - it will simply rot away. We've been wanting to build a cage and after lots of researching, phone calls and shopping around it came out that buying stainless steel or powder coated cost A LOT more when you buy in small quantities. For this reason we bought an already made cage.

If you ask around at the pet stores they will (if you ask very nicely) give you the contact details of the people who make their cages for them. You can phone them and order a cage to your exact liking. It will cost a lot cheaper and then you can spend the extra money on toys.:D

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
thank you wildheart I will have to ask them. But the cage is definatly an indoor only cage as I somehow don't believe my birds would appreciate being left out in the snow and constant rain instead of in warm inside my bedroom.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Oh gosh - where did I get outdoor from?
bigO-1.gif
Maybe it was the size that sounded huge because you spoke about a flight cage.
hanghead.gif

Lucky you to have such a big room - can we move in?
3120.gif

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
It's really not too big. I just feel that the birds need more room. but it does help I've rearranged my bedroom to make room for a bigger cage.

Leroy_Paige

Nov 23, 2010
Media
Albums
Colorado
Parrots
Tuco the Nanday Conure, Satchel and Gibby DSH
This is my new "play gym", a naturally fallen aspen. probably dead for atleast 2 yrs. I live at 7670 ft. and I picked this beauty just a few hundred feet from my house on Xmas morning. It's pretty simple and without all the snow I'm sure I can find a better specimen next spring. The toys are homeade from parts purchased.

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,206
  • aspen2.jpg
    aspen2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 890
  • aspen3.jpg
    aspen3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,024
  • aspen4.jpg
    aspen4.jpg