Thinking about changing his name

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Oh Nacho birdy, you are such a mumbler I should call you Mumble! Hmmmm, maybe I should. As an only pet, he would know that I was addressing him and not any other creature. Also his only fid status means he gets all the attention, and I could sort of phase in the new name. Like as a nickname for a while before eventually dropping his old name.

I think Mumble fits him way better and I don't think the change would be traumatic at all.

What does anyone else think about it?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh Nacho birdy, you are such a mumbler I should call you Mumble! Hmmmm, maybe I should. As an only pet, he would know that I was addressing him and not any other creature. Also his only fid status means he gets all the attention, and I could sort of phase in the new name. Like as a nickname for a while before eventually dropping his old name.

I think Mumble fits him way better and I don't think the change would be traumatic at all.

We have always used the name that the Amazon had when they came to us! Our belief is that it is the only thing that they have and there is no reason to take that from them.

Your situation is very different and therefore you could, as you stated, change a name. FYI: What happens if he stops mumbling? :D

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
...What happens if he stops mumbling? :D

Something to think about!

From what I've seen on all the quaker videos I've watched, it seems like they never talk very clearly so I feel pretty safe. Of course these guys are always full of surprises, aren't they? ;)

Or do you mean stop talking altogether? That would be very surprising and maybe a bit sad too. He's getting to be quite the little chatter box at least a couple times a day. Of course I can only make out a tiny bit of what he's saying, hence "Mumble".

Ah well, even if we do change it and he does stop it still seems like a fine name for a birdy. Also my GF named him Nacho and she's sort of out of the picture now so...

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
If you want to change his name to Mumble, do it :) Both my birds had names when I got them, but they were seriously uncreative and lackluster. I have a thing for unique names. All my pets have unique names, nothing you would really hear much -- characters from video games and movies that are dear to me. Since I knew I would be the only ones addressing them and referring to them and living with them, I changed them to what I wanted.

Some people are against changing names, but to me it's important I feel a connection to their name. Unless they have been named that for 20 years and can say their own name, that's when I may not change it. But what it comes down to is what you want :) Take joy in the new name, really think about it, and if it feels right, change it!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
...What happens if he stops mumbling? :D

Something to think about!

From what I've seen on all the quaker videos I've watched, it seems like they never talk very clearly so I feel pretty safe. Of course these guys are always full of surprises, aren't they? ;)

Or do you mean stop talking altogether? That would be very surprising and maybe a bit sad too. He's getting to be quite the little chatter box at least a couple times a day. Of course I can only make out a tiny bit of what he's saying, hence "Mumble".

Ah well, even if we do change it and he does stop it still seems like a fine name for a birdy. Also my GF named him Nacho and she's sort of out of the picture now so...

Parrot!!! I had totally forgot about the silent treatment! That would be really a rough play on his part! :D

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

We have always used the name that the Amazon had when they came to us! Our belief is that it is the only thing that they have and there is no reason to take that from them.

Your situation is very different and therefore you could, as you stated, change a name. FYI: What happens if he stops mumbling? :D

AWWW, SB, you are such a sweetie.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
There was a Dick Tracy comic character named Mumbles who was cute!

israel_gcc

Mar 19, 2017
Israel
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, b. ~Sept. 2016
I like your reasoning for the name change! :D

You maybe can try transitioning between the two names: for a period of time you could replace "Nacho", with a mix of "Nacho Mumble" and "Mumble Nacho". (A bit like a stern parent using their kid's first AND middle name, haha.) That might help him make the connection to the new name faster.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Israel, you just gave me flashbacks about when my Mother would call me "KATHERINE ABIGAIL"...
I knew it was time to run for the hillzszszszs!

NACHO MUMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

israel_gcc

Mar 19, 2017
Israel
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, b. ~Sept. 2016
Israel, you just gave me flashbacks about when my Mother would call me "KATHERINE ABIGAIL"...
I knew it was time to run for the hillzszszszs!

NACHO MUMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Nacho Mumbles, you come back and clean your room right this instant! Or there's no allowance for a month!!!!" :D

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
NACHO MUMBLES, don't make me come over there!

(and in the car)
NACHO MUMBLES, I'll turn around right now and take you home!

(and when Mumbles wants to imitate his friends)
NACHO MUMBLES, if your friends jump off a cliff, would you???

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I think Nacho Mumbles should stay his full name. It's just too cute!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think that the reason he mumbles has come to light. A Beak filled with Nacho chips!!!

Love it when a Thread spins out-of-control caused by Parrot Humor!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
NACHO MUMBLES! What are you up to now?

[I love this whole thing... Nacho Mumbles... sometimes I just say it to myself and laugh]

Most Reactions