Thinking About Starting A Rescue?

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I'm thinking about starting a softbill and parrot shelter. It isn't finalized, obviously I need to talk to my parents ( wonder how that would go? ), but I just thought it would be a good idea. We definitely have the space for it, and I have the time. Any thoughts?

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
It would be a lot of hard work, would cost a lot of money, not to mention emotionally and mentally draining. With your intelligence, I reckon you should focus on your school work because you have great potential, especially with high-school on the horizon. Once you finish your education with flying colours, then maybe you could do it.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ratzy I think it's a brilliant idea, however your age is against you. As mentioned by Alienation, it's a lot of hard work, the cost etc . You did mentioned previously, all your pocket money you save is kept for emergencies should the need arise for a vet consultation, for the birds you now have. Who would be funding the centre, seeing to the birds when they need 24/7 attention, to be given medication etc (what if it was during school time, not sure if you home schooled or not) Who would be seeing to the birds late into the night, should a bird be brought in as an emergency? You schooling would sure suffer, lack of sleep and constant worrying about the birds, would definitely take strain on you.
Rather concentrate on your school work at the moment. Would it be fair on the birds you have at the moment, less time spent with them?. It is such a big responsibility at your age.
Perhaps consider doing voluntary work at a rescue centre, in doing so, you will be learning all the ropes about how a rescue centre is run.
When the time is right, after graduation, you will have all the necessary experience and funds to follow your dream through by opening up "Ratzy's Rescue Centre"

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I do not know anyone with such passion and drive as you have, at your age.
23_33_21.gif

Ratzy I believe when the time is right, you will open up the most fantastic rescue centre for birds.

In your spare time, plan your dream ahead of time. Make drawings, of your rescue centre, how you would want it to be. Keep lists and info, when you have a new idea add it to the list. Doing it this way, you will never loose sight of your dream. :p

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
What a great idea! However, I agree that your age may make this an even more difficult endeavor than average. We all know you here and respect your knowlege and experience, but other people would have a difficult time of it. Unfortunately, lots of people have a hard time accepting that a young person can know more than they themselves do.

I don't want to discourage you...I believe in you 100%. Please don't give up on the idea, but waiting until you're finished with school may improve your success.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
NO one is better suited for this than you. I would check into the state and or local licences that may be needed.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I commend you on your passion Ratzy, just spending the last week and a half at our rescue here I see how truely difficult it can be to keep things running smoothly on a daily basis, theres a lot more to it than just taking care of the birds, a climate controled building, dependible volunteers, funding and fund raising, dealing with the public on both sides of the adoption process (surrender and adoption), gaining the trust and support from a number of local avian vets, even if kept on a smaller scale if you try going it alone it will consume most of your free time, I'm in no way trying to discourage you as we all know the importance and need for bird rescues, but its something that takes a great deal of thought and planing before you even open your doors, while I'd love to see your dream come true I also agree that maybe you should wait till school is out of the way, good luck to you our little angel :)

Most Reactions