Thinking of a bird

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
My GCC actually isn't bonded to me yet. He knows me, and trusts me. But days when I don't have enough time to spend with him he definitely gets mad at me. That's when his biting is at a maximum.
He does go to other people and is generally well socialized.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Hello MinkFeathers,

Being an owner of a sun conure, please allow me to add to your conversation:) Firstly, I must say it's awesome that you are putting THAT much thought and research into your choice of bird! That's amazing and will save you from any "surprises". Now for the sun conure part. I absolutely LOVE my little guy, Lemon. He is everything I can ask for and more! Fun little clown, smart (has learned tricks in minutes), cuddly, doesn't bite, not a one person bird, and beautiful to top it off. If you ever own your own house I would definitely recommend a sun conure. I love them! However, in an apartment, I just don't think it would be a good choice. Now, Lemon rarely lets out that patented shrill sun conure call. However, there is almost always at least one person home and he is rarely alone in the house. He is right in the living room, cage door open when we are home and usually with one of us watching t.v., etc. when we are home anyways. So, he is with his flock and content. He will only call in the morning when he hears someone is awake upstairs and also when we come home (like a guard dog lol). Literally calls less than 5 minutes per day. Actually maybe a min or two. He is not a "screamer". However, remember that you are the one that chose to have a pet bird. Your neighbours did not. If you get a sun conure (or relative), unfortunately, there is going to be times where your neighbours will feel like they are living with a bird lol. As some other members have said, it's better to not risk having to rehome him and set yourself up for success to begin with. Parrotlets, budgies, lovebirds, cockatiels (if you have no allergies) I think are great choices. I think a cockatiel would like nothing more than to chill on your shoulder all day. A hand raised one of any of these species would be ideal of course although I owned a pet store budgie for 13 years that was as tame as could be and NEVER bit me not even once! So, your experience will be varied. Just like with snakes...sure ball pythons are reputed to be gentle but you CAN get a nasty one!

Like I said, if you ever have a chance to get a sun in the future don't hesitate because I'm sure you will not regret it. As long as the environment is right for you and him/her I think they are great birds!

I hope this helps you in your decision!

OP
M

MinkFeathers

May 23, 2015
Ah, ok then. Do you clip his wings to keep him with you when you're tending the horses, or does he just stay with you?

OP
M

MinkFeathers

May 23, 2015
Kalel:

Thanks for your insite!!! And yes, I have full intentions of home ownership in the future as I want land for my horse and a separate room just for my reptiles, so, having a sunny may very well be part of that set up. =)

And as far as a 'nnasty' ball python goes...I knooooow...mine is my 'jerk' of my collection! Lol. He's been a problem child from the beginning with notbeating, terrible shed, got an RI, and hisses/coils up to strike, every time I open his tub! He's not tagged me yet, but out of all my collection, he is the one I have my money on getting me some day lol.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
The Sun my Mother had was very loud and the most clingy bird I have ever seen.

They are definitely Velcro birds. They love to be with you. They also aren't often good with everyone.

My Mother's Sun only liked her and somewhat tolerated my Father. He used to fly at me and attack me. He was very sweet with her, but he did still bite her fairly often. If you live in an apartment I really wouldn't recommend one of these birds as they're very loud.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I feel I can handle a bluffer, and even a few bites so long as it's just a pgase. But, if they are generally more 'no touchie', might not be the bird for me. Last time I checked, they had a yellow pair at the local store. I will probably be looking into going there next week to get more bird exposyre. I read on here someone also suggesting volunteering at a bird rescue for some Experience As well. I think I might look into that. I know they also have a bird expo several times a year in my area, so yet another way I can get some exposure. Since I'm a bit of a hermit, exposure is probably good for me lol. I did all of those things when I was a teenager and getting into horses after all. I even did several rescues on my own (with the intent of rehoming). I now have just the one horse and she's boarded until I get my house with land.

Anyway...babbling over XD

They make up for the hands-off-ness with their adorable personalities. The females are usually very sweet and affectionate with their chosen person. The males only like a small amount of touching, but are more social with everyone. I suggest you look up some videos of them on YouTube and see what you think.

OP
M

MinkFeathers

May 23, 2015
While I appreciate the warnings of Sunnies, please understand I have already headed these warnings and crossed them off my list for now. In the future when I have my own home, maybe, but for now, no.

I will take the idea of looking on YouTube. I didn't think of that. =)

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
My filter is not very loud but its small and my room is small. I don't know its name. It'd an ionic with reusable filter from eBay.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
While I appreciate the warnings of Sunnies, please understand I have already headed these warnings and crossed them off my list for now. In the future when I have my own home, maybe, but for now, no.

I will take the idea of looking on YouTube. I didn't think of that. =)

When I lived in an apartment once, there was a Sun conure who lived way across the courtyard. It was so noisy that even being a bird person, it did irritate me. Now years later, Robin still imitates that Sun noise occasionally, not quite as powerfully though lol. The cockatiel on the balcony everyday across from me was quite annoying too... As was upstairs' large dog who was louder than most parrots! Never really heard the Goffin's Cockatoo next door... But that's not saying to get a cockatoo :D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Ah, ok then. Do you clip his wings to keep him with you when you're tending the horses, or does he just stay with you?

I think I mentioned.l.. He is harness trained. Aviator harness. He does stay on my shoulder though. Flew off today for the first time ever actually while outside.

My amazon is not at that point.

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Where are you located? Stop by a rescue and see if anything catches your attention or picks you. I absolutely hate budgies but it's the noise not the personality. For some reason budgie noise drives me crazy. Also, for ring necks and alexandrines they are illegal in some states.

OP
M

MinkFeathers

May 23, 2015
Dublet- Sorry I missed that part. I would deff want to harness train so I could take it outside.

Riddick- I will be reaching out to rescues and breeders to get some experience by volunteering my time. And there was a pair of ringneck in the local shop, so I'm pretty sure they aren't illegal in my state. (TN) Thanks for the warning though since I may want to move out of state in the (distant) future. Definitely something to keep on mind!

Most Reactions