Thinking of Upgrading... Cage wise.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I've been saving for a little while and am thinking about getting a new cage for Porter.

Though I'm leaning towards a cage I can setup as a 'double' cage for the budgies and Porter with a little big of work.

Minimum dimensions would be 20x30x24 for each 'seperate' cage.

So far I've found this one, and I know where I can get a grate that will help me seperate it.. (I use towels for the bottom of any cage I own, do not like grates.

Or I'll just use it for Porter himself.. hoping this time he will accept a larger cage.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176F5L0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Any other ideas?

At the moment my budget is about 120$ - Just took all the birds for their annual checkups early so my checkbook is a little lean.

Or I could save for a while longer.

Any suggestions?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The first cage would be great for Porter. I just saw that you want to split it. It might work.

Last edited:

mismi_struck

May 17, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
Xingu and Mismi, white-winged parakeets 1.1.0
I was considering this one for my broto, Mismi. This one is already divided, and looks like each side would be 32x21x64

A&E Cage Co. Double Flight Bird Cage 16421 - Bird Breeding Cages at Hayneedle

However, as I only have Mismi, I'm now looking at this one - more affordable by far and doesn't cramp down on space too much. Its pretty similar to the one you're looking at, just doesn't look as deep. I was not expecting to get a bird this weekend, so she's in a 16x16 cage right now, but at 7 weeks she's not too horribly active, so I hope to order the cage below on Thursday so she'll only be in the small cage for a max of two weeks :)

New Large Wrought Iron Flight Cage w Stand Black Bird Cockatiel Cage 15A 032 | eBay

Last edited:
OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Problem is.. Porter is picky.
He doesnt like cages that are too large.
When I first got him he had a huuuge cage.
36x36x24
But he would have nothing to do with it..
I tired for six months.
So while I'm pondering the big one he would only be in the top half.
Picky little guy x.x
So I'm reluctant to buy a cage again that he might not use x.x

mismi_struck

May 17, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
Xingu and Mismi, white-winged parakeets 1.1.0
Oh my goodness! A bird that doesn't want more space? That could be tricky! Does covering part of the cage help at all, like is it a security issue, or just being finicky because he can be?

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Security issue really.
He is mostly free range, never in the cage unless we aren't home.

So his cage is like his own personally little 'den'.

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Maybe if I get him a new cage each year and gradually upthe size.. he'll not notice as much...
*Ponders*

Most Reactions

Latest posts