This is Perjo

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Sounds like contented beak graunching to me - pre bubbyes, wind down.

Probably wondering why you are staring at her.

That makes sense to me, she is a very content bird, and is in a very relaxed state when she does this. And she's doing it as I type this at 6:56pm.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
She has such a sweet, little girl face! Congratulations.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
She's becoming more and more bold as the days go by. When I leave the room she's starting to get daring and fly to the room I'm in.

She's had two sets of visitors in the past 4 days, hasn't really warmed up to anyone and didn't seem to like the interaction much. She did sit on my brother's hand (I think she knew it wasn't mine as I was right there petting her), did eat a dried pea from his hand, but still the opportunity to bite at his hand a few times.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo is a sponge I swear.

If I make a new noise or whistle, she throws it out there within a day. We're gonna make our own dueling whistlers album I think. 2-3 times a day we just throw noise at each other an it doesn't stop for 35-40 minutes. I think she gets a little tired from it, I know I can whistle like a MoFo b/c of her now.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Perjo is a sponge I swear.

If I make a new noise or whistle, she throws it out there within a day. We're gonna make our own dueling whistlers album I think. 2-3 times a day we just throw noise at each other an it doesn't stop for 35-40 minutes. I think she gets a little tired from it, I know I can whistle like a MoFo b/c of her now.
Is this what I think it is 'cause no, no, no!:11:

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
So Perjo has met three or four friends of mine, not really friendly or happy about it, but not overly aggressive or loud about it either.

Well yesterday she met about 11 more people, 6 kids. She did not like it at all, started growling and I've never heard her make such a noise before. I'm fine with her not being used to people yet, and so many in one day, but I just want to ask if it is pretty common for a young CAG (19 weeks) to be this way with strangers. She's seen my brother three times now, and is most receptive to him, not vocal toward him but does take a deliberate nip at him.

She will eat a treat out of anyone's hand if they hold their hand out flat, but still doesn't receive that person well afterward at all.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Sounds pretty normal. Greys are usually cautious of new people. Just keep working on socializing her with different people without overwhelming her too quickly. 11 people sounds like a bit much to take on at once.

Edited to add: Keep in mind she may never be a social butterfly. Some Greys are just like that and only prefer their one person.

Last edited:
OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Sounds pretty normal. Greys are usually cautious of new people. Just keep working on socializing her with different people without overwhelming her too quickly. 11 people sounds like a bit much to take on at once.

Edited to add: Keep in mind she may never be a social butterfly. Some Greys are just like that and only prefer their one person.
I never let more than 2 people to see her at once yesterday, but it was kind of constant for almost two hours. Later in day too, when she was within 3 ours of going to bed for the night.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Witnessing the growth of these creatures is simply astounding. Perjo hasn't taken very well to anyone but me (since leaving the breeder) and yesterday after being manhandled in the towel by the vet she was very calm with the vet and stepped up on his hand.

Then late last night and early this morning she has adopted a whisper tone whistle after about a week of me doing so with her, as a means of keeping her from blowing my ear drum out when she's on my shoulder. I say "big whistle" and she let's it all out, I say "soft whistle" and it's a lower tone and significantly decreased volume.

I know many believe a bird shouldn't be on the shoulder or should always be set a bit lower than our heads/faces (b/c of the perceived control issue) but I just know I will let her up there at times and will probably not completely prohibit such behavior.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
So Perjo has like 150 variations of the whistles I taught her from day one, including not only using a whisper whistle, but knowing when to for the most part. Now the task becomes acknowledging each respective whisper (with respect to tone or volume) with a verbal response, like "big, soft, nice" whistle.

Also teaching her animals sounds via Google new animal sound database and other web resources for actual real animals sounds. Lion roars, elephant sound, dog barks, humpback whale sound and loon calls. She seems very alert to the humpback and loon calls. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold back my laughter and excitement the day she busts one of these out.

She also totally knows what no means now, and knows what "no picking" means as she gives me a little huff and puff when I say it, while she's picking at her feathers.

She's a peaceful little darling that loves to vocalize but noticeable takes everything in. She's biding her time to let it all out. It's so hard to wait for it.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Some updated pics, 18 weeks old here.

drb-albums-perjo-picture16368-april-9th-2016-demanding-her-early-morning-heck-rub.jpg

drb-albums-perjo-picture16369-april-11th-2016-posing.jpg

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
drb-albums-perjo-picture16371-april-7th-2016-what-guy-doing-camera.jpg

drb-albums-perjo-picture16370-april-7th-2016-just-chilling.jpg

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
So I purchased this shredding toy for Perjo, and showed it to her on Monday, and she freaked out. She has been so great so far with new toys and items I show her and in her cage, I don't even really leave them out for her to see before hand. But not this thing.

My only guess it b/c it is as big or bigger than her. As you can see by the pic, I put an AV TV remote control next to it for reference of size.

I've left it sitting out in her sight since, hoping to try to get her to walk up to it soon.

drb-albums-perjo-picture16403-may-3rd-2016-big-shredding-toy-perjo-scared-death-first-time-she-saw.jpg

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Such an exciting morning so far. First we did our early morning whistling routine (which is 1 of 2) and it gets more interesting as the weeks go by. Sometimes I wonder if I have farm animals living in the house with the sounds she has learned.

Then she remembered how to get some morning treats by doing her soft whistles when in my face. Then to my surprise she wanted to show off her new found ability to make the leap to fly a short distance and make a controlled and intentional landing in a spot in which she wanted to be. It was literally only about 9 inches away but she did it all on her own. That got her a treat, which meant she tried it about 4 times in a row.

Here's a small preview of her morning vocalizations, most of which she actually has picked up from me trying to engage with her. Some interesting variations of her own included.

[ame="https://youtu.be/9nq1vI13tz8"]https://youtu.be/9nq1vI13tz8[/ame]

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
So I purchased this shredding toy for Perjo, and showed it to her on Monday, and she freaked out. She has been so great so far with new toys and items I show her and in her cage, I don't even really leave them out for her to see before hand. But not this thing.

My only guess it b/c it is as big or bigger than her. As you can see by the pic, I put an AV TV remote control next to it for reference of size.

I've left it sitting out in her sight since, hoping to try to get her to walk up to it soon.

drb-albums-perjo-picture16403-may-3rd-2016-big-shredding-toy-perjo-scared-death-first-time-she-saw.jpg

Have you tried hanging new toys on the outside of the cage for a while? It seems to work with Plum now and he has become braver. :)

Most Reactions