This is Perjo

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
The past week I've left it in her sight close to the cage, on a couch or a chair, only a few feet away. I tried to put treats in it today and left it out while she was out, but she wasn't fooled so easily. This coming week I think I'll hang it on the outside and see what happnes.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Shes Adorable and responding to your voice too wonderful...it will be really cool as she progresses and you two build an even closer bond...whether she eventually speaks or not or even makes one of those animal sounds is not that important its the communication thats important and very obviously she has in her own way started to communicate with you...loved the pics and the video was a pleasure to watch ...as to the shredding toy as others have suggested Id put it on the outside of her cage and if that still freaked her out I would move it to a safe distance from her ( and by safe I mean where she thinks its safe and doesnt freak her out) and I would leave it there for a while for her to get used of seeing it and let her also watch you interacting with it and see its not a threat...she will eventually accept it...Perjo is Beautiful :)

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
The past week Perjo has started the hunched over sitting or walking routine. Man she can really cover some ground when walking if not running like that. She'll sit like that staring at me with her wings half cocked ready for takeover.

I read that as a sign of maturing and really focusing in on her surroundings and what she intends to do.

Is that a CAG thing?

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Rookie bird owner showing through for me today.

Perjo has taken flight across the entire first floor twice this morning. All my fault. She did fine, navigated through a small front foyer twice, landed softly and on the ground, as if she planned it. But I always get nervous.

First time she was on top of her cage and I opened my arms wide and said "big wings", I think I opened my arms (6'8" wingspan mind you) way too fast and scared her a bit. Second time I walked into the LR from the kitchen with a big 6 pack of paper towels stacked on top of another, and she was out of her cage on the coffee table 4 feet away. I think the giant lot of paper towels is what spooked her.

It's those daily trivial actions that I sometimes forget about that can get the queen bee all rattled. I need as much training as she does.

:confused:

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
A big 48 hrs for Perjo this weekend. I think a light switch went off in her head, she is really in tune with what gets her praise and a treat. Even her drive to please her master has been focused, she has really mimicked my whistles to her to a tee, and she seems to be outgrowing her baby voice so to speak.

I think she is saying "please" and "thank you" to me via very specific whistles she makes as well. We have our routines but she has also done well to some changes from day to day. And she no longer growls as the big giant wooden chew toy I posted above. It has made it into her cage at the bottom and when she ventures down there she pokes at it for a minute or two and doesn't freak out.

Six months old next Wednesday. Might get a flight harness and start letting her see it sitting around the cage.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Interesting to watch them develop! Especially in birds such as African Greys, who really tend to be demonstrative in showing avian intelligence. Greys amaze me.

How exactly do you pronounce her name Perjo?

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo: purr-Joe

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo is 6 months old today.

So much growth, even in just the past week, it's all mind blowing to me. She's become creative and even sarcastic with her whistling. She knows what foods she likes just by me naming them, and hurries to the front of the cage when I bring even hint at them. Today she is enjoying her stainless steel pots and pans I got her.

So glad I got her instead of a dog. Nothing wrong with dogs, they're just so ordinary and predictable. They're like a Ford Mustang, everyone has one.

:)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Beautiful! I was sharing her pics with Husband because her plumage is amazing and we were comparing them to Buzz. Buzz has a chunk of fluff, downy feathers at the top of his back right between the top of his wings. His neck is also very thin, scrawny and a little feather bare. He has some new pins coming in though. So we've been researching thin necks, etc. Also, he has three salmon colored feathers around his neck. Cute but I read that that can be cross breeding with the Timneh.

So we've been using your baby to learn from, lol. She is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
If only we could capture every moment, especially when they come out of their shells for good or just for the moment. As I type this Perjo is on a 25 minute loop of making every and any kind of noise she is familiar with or heard. I cannot believe how long they can go without a break. It's precious and incredible all at once. And she isn't doing it for attention, as she knows I'm 7 feet away, looking over occasionally. It's all out of pure enjoyment and being a happy bird.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Somebody taught themselves how to target fly and I didn't even know it.

6 months old and Perjo thinks she knows it all already.

SilverLining

May 5, 2015
Sugar Land, TX
Parrots
Charlie - CAG // Mango - Sun Conure // Tango - Gold Capped Conure // Alex - Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Reminds me a lot of my Charlie growing up. He is 15 months now. Not too far ahead of yours. Perjo is an amazing bird.

Hey, just some tips for you since you really seem to care about her, and honestly, I wish I knew some of this stuff myself back when my grey was 6 months old.

1: Your grey will be coming up on one heck of molt at around 8-11 months of age. It would be wise to be prepared as this is where a lot of habit forming issues such as feather picking/screaming can stem from. When the bird molts (especially CAGs), the new pin feathers coming out can sometimes be uncomfortable. The nutritional needs of the bird becomes more taxing since their body is trying to replace each feather. Since your girl is about 6 months old, get her stocked up on her calcium and beta carotene. A B-vitamin complex is also very beneficial from my own personal experience. Give her eggs and other healthy protein foods, it will her a lot now. I even clean and crush egg shells to powder for the calcium and put it on some fruit. What is her main diet, if you do not mind me asking?

2: How is she taking on the art of bathing? Greys in general think water is evil...unless introduced to bathing correctly and at a young age...Greys like ice cool water and not warm or room temp. The more moisturized the skin stays, the less dry and itchy she will be during her molt. I am actually late in teaching mine to bath and am now suffering the consequences...mine hates water and will go down screaming...learn from my mistakes, not your own...

3: She needs some kinds of good oils in her diet...It helps them produce the preen gland if I remember correctly which in turn will keep the new feathers shes about to grow become strong, healthy and vibrant. Red palm oil and coconut oil is good. You could sprinkle a few drops in her food bowl. My grey takes coco oil straight from the spoon.

Just passing some tips along from a CAG owner to CAG owner...plus you really seem to love her so anything that helps Perjo is cool in my book.

Good luck to both of you!

Last edited:
OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Reminds me a lot of my Charlie growing up. He is 15 months now. Not too far ahead of yours. Perjo is an amazing bird.

Hey, just some tips for you since you really seem to care about her, and honestly, I wish I knew some of this stuff myself back when my grey was 6 months old.

1: Your grey will be coming up on one heck of molt at around 8-11 months of age. It would be wise to be prepared as this is where a lot of habit forming issues such as feather picking/screaming can stem from. When the bird molts (especially CAGs), the new pin feathers coming out can sometimes be uncomfortable. The nutritional needs of the bird becomes more taxing since their body is trying to replace each feather. Since your girl is about 6 months old, get her stocked up on her calcium and beta carotene. A B-vitamin complex is also very beneficial from my own personal experience. Give her eggs and other healthy protein foods, it will her a lot now. I even clean and crush egg shells to powder for the calcium and put it on some fruit. What is her main diet, if you do not mind me asking?

2: How is she taking on the art of bathing? Greys in general think water is evil...unless introduced to bathing correctly and at a young age...Greys like ice cool water and not warm or room temp. The more moisturized the skin stays, the less dry and itchy she will be during her molt. I am actually late in teaching mine to bath and am now suffering the consequences...mine hates water and will go down screaming...learn from my mistakes, not your own...

3: She needs some kinds of good oils in her diet...It helps them produce the preen gland if I remember correctly which in turn will keep the new feathers shes about to grow become strong, healthy and vibrant. Red palm oil and coconut oil is good. You could sprinkle a few drops in her food bowl. My grey takes coco oil straight from the spoon.

Just passing some tips along from a CAG owner to CAG owner...plus you really seem to love her so anything that helps Perjo is cool in my book.

Good luck to both of you!

Her diet is based mostly on Roudybush pellets. I give her some vegetables as treats, various nuts, some fruits, and use an egg protein supplement a few times a week sprinkled on her pellets. Her staple treat for doing certain tasks and obeying commands are roasted sunflower kernels.

How do we prepare and serve the egg shells? I have a Silver Bullet blender thingy , just run the shells through there? Do they need cooked in any way?

I bathe her outside while she is in her travel cage. She seems Ok with it all, as soon I say "go outside" she seems interested, and I use the mist on my hose nozzle and don't even hide the fact I'm trying to get her wet anymore. She no longer squawks about it and basically just walks around the cage while I soak her. It's all over in less than 3 minutes. She seems to understand what the term bath means as well.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Perjo is Adorable I love the pics and the videos :)

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
I bought some virgin coconut oil today and dipped one of her sunflower kernels in it, she ate it up, seemed to like it or at least not be bothered by the coconut oil.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
A recent pic of Perjo in her favorite spot

drb-albums-perjo-picture16501-may-2016.jpg

SilverLining

May 5, 2015
Sugar Land, TX
Parrots
Charlie - CAG // Mango - Sun Conure // Tango - Gold Capped Conure // Alex - Indian Ringneck Parakeet
How do we prepare and serve the egg shells? I have a Silver Bullet blender thingy , just run the shells through there? Do they need cooked in any way?

Hi, yeah I use the same exact Silver Bullet thing. Sometimes I just crush it with my hand. It doesn't have to be a fine powder. My egg shells are usually from hard boiled eggs. I read that raw egg can be bad so I rinse off any yolk if the shell is uncooked.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo relaxing on my shoulder before we start her bed time routine. And the first time she did her pretty girl whistle.

[ame="https://youtu.be/JWNWVL95xO4"]https://youtu.be/JWNWVL95xO4[/ame]

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Perjo is certainly bee-you-tee-full! and her girl whistle lol..I am trying to teach that to BB my baby 'teil now :grey: ;)

As far as bathing goes..Smokes <r.i.p.> my TAG could NOT stand water! Misting bottle,she'd just hunker down,arms close to her side,cloths all tight together..even in the shower/bath tub she just sat there,shaking her head. Same when we were outside an I used the hose gently on her.

BUT..as soon as she was back in her house,she'd run to her water bowl and dunk herself silly :eek: Crazy Grey that she was! :eek:

Jim

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
A quick minute of Perjo's 10 minute routine this morning.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6sXEkWz2eE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6sXEkWz2eE[/ame]

Most Reactions