This makes me so angry and sad =(

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am not responsible for irresponsible breeders. Nor are my birds kept in deplorable conditions. Nor do I support those who do such things.

I don't feel the least bit guilty for the fact that there are people in this world who cannot say that.

The most you can do in that situation is "what you can" for the birds.

I know it doesn't seem like enough, but that's reality.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am, unfortunately, unable to take in every bird in need. My bird is loved, cared for and I did what was necessary to remove him from a bad situation. But I can't save every bird in need and I can't stop bad people from doing bad things to animals. I feel the exact same way about animals for food, but in the 16+ years I have not eaten flesh, it has made absolutely no impact at all whatsoever in the grand scheme of things (though has really opened my eyes to how difficult speaking for animals can be).

Some problems, especially those regarding creatures more venerable that we, are just so big they can't be solved because the animals have no voice for themselves and not enough people are willing to be a voice for them. I would say a majority of people still view birds as disposable decorations. Most people do not see the intelligence and mental fragility of parrots large and small. Therefore, situations like this will not stop anytime soon. Parrot lovers can rally together all they want, but, as experience has taught me, a extreme minority of people being vocal about an issue 99% of people do not care about will only make you look like a bunch of nuts. No one cares what dedicated parrot owners think of operations like these, and even non-bird people with initial "oh thats terrible" reactions do not care enough to do anything more than comment on the article. Operations like this will continue because they are profitable and there are people out there who will continue to support them because they don't care to inform themselves or simply don't care where their feathered decoration came from. It's tragic that animals in all facets of our lives are exploited and suffer greatly, but the world is full of power (and money) hungry sociopaths and a society that does not value animal lives.

You should feel no guilt about your birds though, as you are caring for them and respect the fact parrots are beings of higher intelligence, not decor' to be throw out when it becomes inconvenient. You can't change the world, but you can continue providing your birds with a wonderful life so they never know how cruel the real world can be.

Last edited:

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
You should feel no guilt about your birds though, as you are caring for them and respect the fact parrots are beings of higher intelligence, not decor' to be throw out when it becomes inconvenient. You can't change the world, but you can continue providing your birds with a wonderful life so they never know how cruel the real world can be.
This made me tear up. I know it is all we can do.... but it just isn't enough.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Wow, just sad:( 550 birds? It's so sad how the greed of some humans can cause them to go so far to do terrible things.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Wow, just sad:( 550 birds? It's so sad how the greed of some humans can cause them to go so far to do terrible things.

Yeah, well, try being the guy who has to go in and clean up after a backyard breeding operation with 150 birds, only to find that all but 12 of them are dead or dying...

I was one of the people who went in there, and helped rehabbed the 12 survivors.

THE SMELL ALONE is something that you just never forget!!!

And, I am sorry, but I have to stop reading these types of posts because I just get angry all over again.

I've seen too much of this stuff...

"WHAT?! THEY'RE JUST BIRDS... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

Yeah... Uummm... I guess I'm just pretty screwed up when it comes to the mistreatment of animals...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Well, that is definitely sad and disturbing (and I'm sure happens with many types of animals, unfortunately!) :( But I try to keep in mind that I realize having Gilbert's friendship is absolutely an honor. He is a wild animal (yes bred in Ohio and all, but a wild animal born in captivity) and had no say in the matter (nor did any of us) but he loves me. I remember that it is a privilege and not my right to have his love. I think most of us feel this way and that does matter to me in terms of the ethics of the whole deal.
What I find particularly disturbing is that I feel any breeding establishment should be held to a high standard (you are supposed to KNOW about that animal and care for its well being, not only use them for profit). Pet owners can sometimes make well-intentioned mistakes and harm their animal, but someone earning an income off said animal owes them good care. So in that respect I find it despicable.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Please note that these birds are not available for adoption. As they are under seizure, they still belong to their original owner.

Made me sick to my stomach

UNTIL AFTER THE HEARING... unless, (or until) some sort of deal is worked out to either provide for them properly, or give them up.

They don't usually go to the trouble of seizing animals unless they know they will win the case... it's a pretty extraordinary step to get the government to step in and do something...

So, chances are, this was bad, and they are making an example of someone... to try and get everyone else to sit up and take notice.

"Clean it up, or we'll clean it up for you."

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007

Yeah, well, try being the guy who has to go in and clean up after a backyard breeding operation with 150 birds, only to find that all but 12 of them are dead or dying...

I was one of the people who went in there, and helped rehabbed the 12 survivors.

THE SMELL ALONE is something that you just never forget!!!

And, I am sorry, but I have to stop reading these types of posts because I just get angry all over again.

I've seen too much of this stuff...

"WHAT?! THEY'RE JUST BIRDS... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

Yeah... Uummm... I guess I'm just pretty screwed up when it comes to the mistreatment of animals...

Yes, Birdman...I can only imagine. Thank you for being one of the people to do that for these birds. I'm sure, experiencing what you experienced would only make it more emotional for you to read about terrible situations like this. Sadly, these things will happen:( Some people will not see beyond their own greed. The bird is a product to them. Period. Who cares about it being a living thing! Again, thanks to people like you for doing what you do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts