Tiki suddenly hates me. I don't know what to do!

OP
L

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
How old is your parrot? One of my parrots began to do this when he was molting he only went to my significant other and began launching at me when normally he cuddled and stepped up with no issues! I was so upset but it was once he reached his maturing stages and once he was an adult that he started this. But then he calmed down a bit and let me handle him but he would get moody here and there. It was a phase. Males become territorial no matter how cuddly they were before. Even another one of my female parrots is getting like this, she's only 3 and a half months old but she's getting this attitude that she owns the world so I just try to teach her no and wait for her phase to end since I'm usually unsuccessful lol. But yea you need to leave him alone for a few days and maybe he will really want to come out by then, and then you can see how he reacts. If he bites, put him right back and just leave him alone. He needs to calm down if something spooked him and if he's maturing or molting he may just be extremely moody. I wouldn't worry because I've dealt with this with every parrot I've ever owned, even my Senegal gets cranky at times, I just look for signals that he doesn't want to be bothered. But sometimes he just snaps for a second. He doesn't bite hard though it's like a quick tap with his beak, but that's just him saying "stop" as a warning. But yea I'd say just let him be, he needs to settle down.

Tiki is a 5-6 year old (or possibly older - previous owners had her 5 years and didn't know her age when they got her) DNA female. I think you may be right about the "phase" thing. This happened once before, and my vet recommended removing her snuggle-hut. It made an instant change, almost overnight, but now I'm wondering if it was a coincidence.

She is currently molting. She always comes out of the cage on her own and wants to be with me. Sometimes she bites when I'm petting her, other times she's just sitting with me and suddenly CHOMP.

I have noticed that due to the molt she is extremely irritable. I've been just sitting, talking and singing to her on my finger. She'll get super itchy and frantically scratch here, then there, then over here, then her foot, then CHOMP bites me. I'm thinking she's just super frustrated and uncomfortable.

Just can't understand why she only takes it out on me and not my husband!

Still wearing gloves for the time being - she doesn't mind them at all, I can still scratch her and hold her. I just don't bleed when she bites!

Most Reactions

Latest posts