Time spent...

How many hours a day do you spend on your bird?

• Total voters

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
I am currently parrotless but hope to be owned by a parrot in the next few months. :-)
How much time do you put into your birds on a daily basis? This includes quality time, cleaning, training, etc. What are you doing during the time your spending on your bird? How many birds do you have? As someone who doesn't yet have a bird I'm trying to get a realistic expectation of what to expect.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
As I am a stay at home mom to teen boys ( i home school ) I spend all day with my birds. I have 13 in all, and I am either preparing their food, cleaning cages and floors, hanging or repairing toys, or just in general playing and socializing with my birds. Several sit on our desks as we do school daily. Our birds just hang out on us and enjoy participating in our normal daily routines. My 11 year old trick trains some of them also. Today I got a large order from MSBS so Ruby and Buddy are ripping into the tissue paper as I unwrap the goodies. Zazu is running around inside the huge box it all came in.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
About 30-40 minutes is all my bird wants to play but when it comes to shoulder sitting he'll sit for a hour+

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
5 to 6 for me, longer on weekends and days off. Bosley is my companion and when I'm home he is out of cage and with me.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I am with Fargo all day from when i wake up, to when he goes to his sleeping perch at 6:30 :p

Thats either just sitting next to me watching movies, cuddling, wrestling, training, preening, playing with toys, looking after him so he isn't destroying things ;) and then preparing foods and cleaning up :)

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
I try to give them 3 hours on week days and a bit more over the week-end.
In the morning, I get the small guys and my SO is with our Cape.
When we get home from work, we switch.
Then, after dinner, we both spend the first hour with the littles and then it's the Cape's turn.
I have 7 birds total and the different out of cage schedule is necessary due to difference in size.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I'm with all my birds all day but I can't say that I'm doing things with them all that time. I spend about an hour cleaning and feeding in the morning, quality times during the day, more cleaning and feeding in evening and finish the day with one on one time in the evenings. I'm pooped!

OP
HumanWings

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
I am currently parrotless but hope to be owned by a parrot in the next few months. :-)
As I am a stay at home mom to teen boys ( i home school ) I spend all day with my birds. I have 13 in all, and I am either preparing their food, cleaning cages and floors, hanging or repairing toys, or just in general playing and socializing with my birds. Several sit on our desks as we do school daily. Our birds just hang out on us and enjoy participating in our normal daily routines. My 11 year old trick trains some of them also. Today I got a large order from MSBS so Ruby and Buddy are ripping into the tissue paper as I unwrap the goodies. Zazu is running around inside the huge box it all came in.

What's MSBS?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
One bird, about an hour of direct contact in the morning before work. Preening/grooming, playing, cleaning food dishes, prepping new food. Then after work direct contact for a straight 30-45 minutes playing, preening/grooming again, changing out water/food. Then on and off until bed time but he is out of his cage from 5pm to 9pm every night.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I spend 2 and a half hours before work with Mishka

After work 3 hours (one of which is training him)

Weekends we are together 24/7

When on leave from 21 Dec till 13 Jan.... we have spend every day together
:grey:

OP
HumanWings

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
Over 50% is 3-4 hours daily and lots of great answers so far. Thanks everyone!! :)

aConureLover

Nov 25, 2012
Chiquita gets me up about 9:00 every morning. We eat breakfast and sometimes I fall asleep in the recliner with Chiquita on my shoulder. He snuggles near my neck and naps as well. We are together all day. If I go anywhere, I take him with me (except to the doctor's office). At home, I don't leave the room without him so he won't squawk. I live in an apartment building and cannot take a chance on disturbing my neighbors. We would not want to be evicted. We like it here. He has a special perch in the shower so he can see me at all times. He loves the shower also. And he loves the gentle towel drying. Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed with "Mr Clingy" here, but not really, I get so much love and companionship from him, I do not mind. And besides, there is no way we could have a regular healthy relationship with a human. I guess that's ok too. :)

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
MAC is out of his cage for around 8 to 10 hours a day. The better part of that time is on his play perch in the living room! I picked 3 to 4 hours because all that time is not spent directly with us.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
5-6 Hours for Audrey. Although she is out of her cage all day, as I am currently a stay at home mum, she likes some alone time, and nap time etc. She gets long periods of just sitting on my shoulder and relaxing, or playing with me on my stomach/lap. It takes me about 30-60 minutes to clean her cage (maybe I am just sloww lol) but thats after rinsing all the toys, scrubbing it down thoroughly, cleaning the mat underneath the cage etc. Then a lot of the time when I'm just walking by I play peek-a-boo with her or give her pats lol

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
The bird cage is pretty much right off the living room, in what used to be a porch and is now like a sun porch. So Lucky (and previously Lucky & Mark) has full interaction with everything that goes on in our 800 sq ft house.

Even when we're not directly doing something with Lucky, she's getting some of our dinner, commenting on video choices, bossing the dogs around, etc.

Direct care, like food & water, morning treats, paper change, etc. doesn't take too long, but over the course of a day Lucky gets a lot of people time.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I'm a writer and I do it from home so I'm home with my babies all day, everyday..except when I have to do the school run with the human kiddo's and grocery shop.

Most Reactions