Timmy crossed over the Rainbow Bridge last night.

OP
mh434

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I am at the point now where I believe I need to re-home my YNA Amazon Sammy. He became incensed a few years ago when my ex brought a CAG into the house, who instantly became the alpha bird in our large flock. Sammy turned violent toward me (picture several trips to clinics & the emergency ward, and lots of sutures) and, despite all the loving I tried to give him, he has remained unrelenting in his anger and hate for me. I live alone, now, and there is no chance of my situation improving in the foreseeable future.

I've tried everything, followed all the suggestions, and read all the writings on this issue, for 4 long years, to try regain our once-powerful bond, but he's steadfast.

My concern is not for myself - I have broad shoulders, and can handle pretty much anything - but Sammy's quality of life is sad indeed. When I'm there he spends his time pinning, hissing, flaring, shrieking, and striking at the sides of his cage trying to get at me. It hurts me to see him like this, as we were once inseparable.
He NEVER relaxes or has a happy, contented moment anymore if I'm in the house.

I'm hoping that if he has a fresh start with a new parront, perhaps he'll be able to form a new one-on-one bond & again have a happy, contented life. It breaks my heart, and I feel like I'm breaking my solemn promise to him, but I desperately want him to be happy again, like he once was with me.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm just curious here...how old is Sammy and how long has he been with you?

Jim

Most Reactions