timneh grey vs Quaker

justinlm24

Jul 6, 2012
Trenton, OH
Parrots
Eclectus (Jazmine)
African grey Congo (charlie)
I am new here, so hello everyone. My name is Justin and I am about to embark into the world of parrothood. I have been doing my research on different species for the past two months and I have narrowed it down to either a timneh grey or Quaker parrot. I am sure you guys here this asked quite often, but which do you think is the better choice? First let me explain my situation so you can have a better idea. I have owned birds in the past, budgies and a sun conure. Only reason I gave them up was bc my now ex wife didn't like them. I understand the time, money, and commitment needed for the two species I am deciding between. I do work, but will still be able to provide at least 3-4 hours of out of cage time. Likely more, especially on my days off. I do have three kids and a dog in the household so that kind of works against getting a grey since they like a more quiet, calm environment. However they do not live with me full time, only half the time so it will not always be hectic. I am buying this bird for me, I am not buying it for the kids and I don't really think they will be that interested in it except for maybe my 6 and 12 year old. I will be the primary handler but i would like a bird who will tolerate everyone. I will make sure to socialize it with everyone early and often as well. So what do you guys think? I am really torn between the two. Each seems to have its pros and cons. It'll still be a couple more months until I bring one home so I will continue my research before making a choice. Honest thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum.
Greys don't do well with change so people coming and going in his life would likely stress him out. Also, do you or anyone in your family have allergies? Greys produce dust which is why I cant have one. I honestly think a Quaker is better suited for your life, but I'm no expert so I will let some grey owners chime in.

OP
J

justinlm24

Jul 6, 2012
Trenton, OH
Parrots
Eclectus (Jazmine)
African grey Congo (charlie)
Yea I am about 75% in favor of the Quaker right now. They seem to be more tolerant of change and new things. But I appreciate your thoughts.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I am partial to greys.....I have 5 kids and 2 dogs and my grey is not bothered at all by the extra activity.
The only thing he really can't stand is somebody wearing a hat . freaks him out a little. Other than that he is fine . They do have some dust ,but I hardly notice it at all so that has not been an issue .

beck

Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Moche the Quaker Parrot and Charlie the African Grey
I have a CAG and a Quaker. I got my Quaker when he was a baby and he's a little over a year old now. He is a blast! He talks A LOT (honestly, more than my CAG- she's much more into sound effects). He eats a ton, and pretty much anything. As far as noise, he's fairly quiet, and I think really quiet for a Quaker. I also have two dogs (a French bulldog and a Pit mix), and they don't bother him a bit (I do put them out when the birds are out though). He'll get down on the bottom of his cage and chatter at the dogs, throws them scraps, etc. He's really accepting of new things. He comes with me to work every day, and he has a second cage set up there. I love him so much!

That being said.... He hates my housemate. He hates most of my coworkers except the two that feed him snacks. He bites my boyfriend sometimes. He does not cuddle. The closest he gets is that he likes me to rub his head/neck through the bars of his carrier when we're in the car. When I read stuff like "Polly fell asleep on me while we were watching TV" my brain goes "Does not compute". He is a busy body, and time spent out of his cage has to be active and closely supervised.

My CAG is a very different bird. For one, she is 35+ years old. She prefers my boyfriend (and men in general), but she tolerates me well. She is the pickiest eater, more because of her age though. She is extremely quiet, and when she does sound off, it's beeps, buzzes, whistles, etc. She is also not a cuddler. When she's out of her cage she will stay put on her stand and play quietly. I think she's pretty well adjusted, considering her age and her history, but she is just very shy.

I love both my birds, but my Quaker is the one that constantly cracks me up, his personality is just so BIG. I really recommend a Quaker, even though you will probably have to spend more time getting him to accept your children/others.

Most Reactions

Latest posts