tips for introducing new male eclectus

Robinrae

Apr 1, 2013
Hello,
I have adopted a new male eclectus. I have a female and was looking for a companion for her. He is a very nice boy and we like him very much. They are both older birds and are very calm. I have let them out together for short periods, mainly for bath time. I was just wondering if you had any tips on body language or any thing to watch for aggression wise. I am not as worried about my female because she has a true love of green birds and seems to be submissive to the male. I am not sure if this is normal behavior or not. Any info will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Robin

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
It's sounds like you have already introduced them?

Eclectus can be very hormonal, you should keep them living in separate cages and allow them outside supervised time together as you have been. I used to know a female Eclectus who the owners wanted to breed, she had a huge cage and and got a long great with the male but then one day she decided he shouldn't have legs anymore :( Luckily he survived her brutal attack and found a new great home.

OP
R

Robinrae

Apr 1, 2013
I have introduced them. I do plan on keeping them in their own cages. I would like them to be able to interact with supervision. My female has never been much of a people bird. That maybe due to her life previous to me. She lived in the front of a liquor store for about 3 years and the only interaction she had was when the store employees fed her or from the customers. I have owned her for over 15 years. She will step up and let me pet her some. She just isn't crazy about humans. The male is much more well socialized. He seems to enjoy people. I do know the females can be aggressive, however, my female seems very submissive to my male. He seems to be a little beaky with her. I was not sure if this is normal interaction. I have only had one eclectus, my female.

Most Reactions