Eclectus Bluffing Stage???

amjam441

Aug 17, 2013
Hi I'm sorry if there is already another thread on this

I will be getting an eclectus in a few months time and I was wondering how long is the bluffing stage for ekkies. I know it is normally for about a few weeks and sometimes be a few months but when will it stop all together. 4 years, 5 years??? Or does it go on forever. Please reply quicklyI'm trying to gather all my info before the parrot comes so I'm fully prepared.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Eclectus aren't like Macaws, they don't really have a "BLUFFING stage". Macaws will try their best to intimidate you where as with Eclectus it's more hormonal. I know with my Ekkie, there really isn't any bluffing with him. If he opens his beak when you are attempting to pick him uphe's going to bite you no if ands or buts about it. Now they do go through maturity issues and can be a bit harder to handle or want to be like a terrible two's like kids and rebel a bit and that is usually between 2-4 years of age. At least that's my observation of my Ekkie.

OP
amjam441

amjam441

Aug 17, 2013
Do you no when/if ekkies hormonal 'bursts' come to an end or is this a kind of routine/annual thing???

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I agree with Mike that Ekkie's don't have a bluffing phase. Ruby's first hormonal season this year wasn't a nightmare. She would get into mating stance and direct her attention towards my son's turtle. She would even get on top of his tank, open the lid and drop food in to him. That was the gist of it. Ruby is a very quiet girl and she would get a slight bit louder when she was in her mating stance, but it isn't what most would consider loud for a bird. She didn't become aggressive or mean towards anyone either. I was careful not to allow her to be on the sofa or in cramped places where she could become nesty though.

OP
amjam441

amjam441

Aug 17, 2013
Does anyone no when/if ekkies hormonal 'bursts' come to an end or is this a kind of routine/annual thing that happens for the rest of its life???

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Ekkies have the longest breeding period of all psittacines (up to nine months in the wild) so, unless you are VERY, VERY careful with light schedule, diet, caresses and environment, you can end up with a pretty much constantly hormonal bird in captivity.

OP
amjam441

amjam441

Aug 17, 2013
Is there a point when these hormonal behaviours stop permanently or will this happen for the rest of his (hopefully long) life. If I haven't mentioned it before I'm getting a male

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They go through it for the rest of their life...all birds do! Your able to search for answers by typing keywords in the search column as it would answer your questions without waiting for an answer as many questions been asked hundreds of times. Thanks!

OP
amjam441

amjam441

Aug 17, 2013
I did a bit of research whilst I was waiting for an answer and came upon this website Your Bird's Hormonal Issues and according to the 3rd paragraph it says that they eventually mature out of this so is it true

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
As far as I know they don't grow out of it! Dixie is nearly 30 years old and she still does it whenever she's in the mood. When I said search I mean search within the forums!

Most Reactions

Latest posts