TO NON-Parrot OWNERS who visit our home

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
That is why my doors are locked, even when I am home. My neighbor kids think they can just walk right in the house because they are friends with my daughter. Makes me crazy, but then again, they are only 3-7 years of age.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I lock mine too. When she comes she asks "why is the door locked". I'm a very good girl, I never say "to keep you from barging in on me". lol When I'm in the garden, I have to lock my side gate to keep her from coming around the back & entering the back door. (i cant lock myself out) I try very hard to understand, but I've come to the conclusion that she doesn't knock because I want her to knock. My husband is the only son & the youngest, so...

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I wish all visitors could read all the above posts................
But would it actually change anything ????????

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
OMG merlinsmom! I am so sorry, did you flip your lid? I would have. I flipped my lid when my uncle pushed my cat (he was a kitten at the time) off the couch, and told him the cat can be on the couch, the cat can be on the bed, and the cat can be on the counter when I am not home! And I told him if he cant handle the cat being part of my family, then he should find somewhere else to stay!

I know its in the extreme, considering I grew up in a subsistence lifestyle where a lot of animals are utility (aka, mode of transpertation/bear protection-early warning system) and cats are kept to keep the mice population down.

but I seen animals as part of my family. they are special to me. if anyone slapped my bird out of the air (a vary fragile animal in the first place) I would have gone apechit on whoever did that, even if it was my own mother.

Last edited:

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
Lol! well, the same goes for any type of animal you live with.
I have an uncle who would come over & taunt and chase and just basically f*ck with my chihuahua the ENTIRE time he was over. He thought it'd be funny (hilarious actually, you should've seen the mug on his face!) to throw my pup in the pool one day at a bbq (the dog likes being on the deck watching everyone swim but is absolutely terrified of being actually in the water!) & I had to curse him out real nasty like in front of everyone at my house that day for him to get the picture! I let him know that the dog lives here, he doesn't &he has to respect that even if he is a dog & that if he doesn't want to he can effin leave. It sounded a lot worse at the bbq tho XD
He hasn't touched my dog since C: lol

I even have family from out of the country that won't spend nights at my place "because of the cat". We only see em a few times a year & that's what we get. it's ridiculous really.

Wouldn't give up any of my animals for family like that though, haha.

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
well my brother used to come to my house and take my chihuahuas off the couch , uh excuse me what are you doing ? he would say I need a place to sit . I pointed at the lazy boy and he said let the dogs go there . Needless to say he never comes to my house anymore . He hates my birds too he says they are too loud for him . I always tell him well that is a good thing because they probably would not like you either . LOL !!! agreed I like my animals more than my family .

LoveMauiGus

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Maui - Sun Conure,
Gus - Yellow Collared Macaw
My grandma likes to tell me "they are so loud how can you stand that, I couldnt stand that"

to which I say, good thing they live here and you don't. :)

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I always lock the doors in the front of the house, and the aviary is ALWAYS locked. The outside flight cages are chained and padlocked. I have 4 dogs that I turn loose at dark and they just HATE STRANGE PEOPLE ….

We have 2 dedicated bird rooms in the house.... the rehabs and the nursery. Company gets pissy, but they aren't allowed in either of those rooms.

Moe has to meet and show off for anyone who comes through the door (otherwise he screams.). So you have to wait while I take out Moe and let him show you his big bounce and "bang". (Moe fails back and pretends to be dead!)

If you call any of my birds anything negative you will not find yourself invited again! I never tolerate jokes about the rehab birds, and if you call them ugly I'll kick you out on the spot!

If you're staying for dinner.... expect to share! The few birds in my living room and foyer are always included (even if we eat in the dinning room, which we usually don't for dinner).

Feel free to call me what titles you choose, and if you can't stand it.... don't come back.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
We have a friend who is just naturally a loud person. He also likes beer which makes him louder. Ruby, being a Grey, is a bit sensitive. One time after she'd been with us only a few months, he was over for a BBQ. He'd had a few (several, many) beers and tried to get Ruby to come over to the front of her cage (they were in cages because the doors were being opened and closed a lot and I didn't want to risk it). When she wouldn't because she was kind of nervous with all of the activity he yelled - not a word or her name, just a very loud noise. Now, when he comes over she hisses at him and stays as far away as she can. He swears he never did anything to her....makes me crazy.

Most Reactions