Tomatoes...what's the real deal?

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I didn't know tomatoes could potentially be harmful. I have a book about Senegal parrots and tomatoes are on the list of foods they can have. So I've given them to her before and also I gave her some spaghetti with sauce. I'll be sure not to do this often now. Not that I gave her large amounts of tomatoes anyway, but I did give her a couple of small pieces along with any other vegetables I happened to have on hand.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I didn't know tomatoes could potentially be harmful. I have a book about Senegal parrots and tomatoes are on the list of foods they can have. So I've given them to her before and also I gave her some spaghetti with sauce. I'll be sure not to do this often now. Not that I gave her large amounts of tomatoes anyway, but I did give her a couple of small pieces along with any other vegetables I happened to have on hand.

Actually, this is exactly why I revived this old thread, so much contradictory information!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think just the fact they are part of the nightshade family is enough for me. It is true wild birds steer well clear of tomato plants and their fruits and they don't give up free food easily do they?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No tomato plants in the Amazon. No tomatoes for Salty.
Now, pizza, that grows on trees, right? Right?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Glad this thread got necro'ed. I've avoided tomatoes for the longest time because it's part of the nightshade family. The link from Plum also mentioned potatoes. Are both tomatoes and potatoes bad? They're both in a Monica's bird safe foods: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

I follow it religiously, even printed the list which I carry around with me every time I do grocery shopping for the birds. No offense to Monica of course. I love all her stuff.

Most Reactions