Tomorrow is the BIG day!

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Congrats!!! :) I remember how excited I was when I first got my yellow sided green cheek. It's so exciting! I did make one mistake though, I spent WAAAY too much time with him and he got SPOILED! He was also one that was ready to come out right away. Just be careful! :) I had a huge screaming problem once I went back to school and only had 2-3 hours instead of the 5-6 hours I was keeping him out at first. It's hard to resist, but I learned my lesson. :p

Can't wait for pictures! :green2:

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Congrats!!! :) I remember how excited I was when I first got my yellow sided green cheek. It's so exciting! I did make one mistake though, I spent WAAAY too much time with him and he got SPOILED! He was also one that was ready to come out right away. Just be careful! :) I had a huge screaming problem once I went back to school and only had 2-3 hours instead of the 5-6 hours I was keeping him out at first. It's hard to resist, but I learned my lesson. :p

Can't wait for pictures! :green2:

Thank you for the advice! I have been spending all day with him. It's night now and I figured it was time for him to go to sleep. I feel soooo bad putting him back in the cage but I have to be strong, its really hard!

Is covering the cage a good idea? So that its really dark for him??

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
For a bird, darkness is important for a good night sleep. I cover my birds up as people in this house are generally up late, thus the lights are often going on and off well after the birds are put to bed. Covering also helps for a bit of extra warmth in winter. If Hiroshi is in a nice quiet dark place already for sleep, then its not really necessary. I think its good to do anyway, because it sort of signifies when 'bedtime' is. Just be wary that he may be scared of being covered up and you may want to ease him into it.

Hope your having fun being a birdie parent again :)

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Thanks Ben :) Hes been doing really well with the cover on. I tend to stay up late these days working with the computer, its turned away from his cage so the light doesn't shine too bright but I thought it would be nice for him to make it as dark as possible. Luckily he wasn't afraid of the covering!

I'm having so much fun already, I just adore him!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I'm so happy for little Hiroshi and you! I only cover my birds on weekends since I like to get extra sleep. They're always up with the sun! Plus, it's blazing summer here so it gets hot in the house at night! So I don't cover them.

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I'm so happy for little Hiroshi and you! I only cover my birds on weekends since I like to get extra sleep. They're always up with the sun! Plus, it's blazing summer here so it gets hot in the house at night! So I don't cover them.

Lucky! I wish it was blazing summer here :p

Hiroshi got up with the sun today basically and has me up early now:bigeyes:

I'm still trying to teach him to step up but hes really stubborn about it. Any tips? I still am not sure of his favorite treat so that will probably help me out once I get to know him a bit better:rolleyes:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Hiroshi got up with the sun today basically and has me up early now

I'm still trying to teach him to step up but hes really stubborn about it. Any tips? I still am not sure of his favorite treat so that will probably help me out once I get to know him a bit better

Your on the right track, once you find a food (or toy) that he loves, use that to guide him up onto your hand. Hover it over your hand so he has to step up to reach it.

And yes - you can now look forward to having more hours in your day, most of them doing things he wants to do;)

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hiroshi got up with the sun today basically and has me up early now

I'm still trying to teach him to step up but hes really stubborn about it. Any tips? I still am not sure of his favorite treat so that will probably help me out once I get to know him a bit better

Your on the right track, once you find a food (or toy) that he loves, use that to guide him up onto your hand. Hover it over your hand so he has to step up to reach it.

And yes - you can now look forward to having more hours in your day, most of them doing things he wants to do;)

I'm starting to realize this lol. I was playing music and once it stopped he nipped at my arm until I turned it on again then settled down and started preening lol. He's such a goofball:rolleyes:

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
hahaa, whatta cheeser. That little guy is going to bring lots of love into your life!

He most certainly will, and already has :) He's on my lap now enjoying some scritches. It's the cutest thing, he will tilt his head, close his eyes and puff up his feathers asking to be scritched in a certain place:rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts