Took Jake to the vet - possible PDD

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Yellow Nape Amazon - Shoku - greatly missed!
:yellow1:

Went to do the normal daily cage cleaning and saw undigested seed in his droppings! Took him to the vet right away. Since he came from terrible conditions I always worried about some sort of infection. According to my research it is possible PDD or a yeast infection - does anyone have experience? I know a yeast infection is treatable but is PDD? Ive read so many conflicting sites. I've only had him a short time and just started to gain his trust (at least he doesn't try to bite me when I come to say hi anymore). I'm worried :(

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
You are right, it is hard to come up with clear info in PDD. It seems that SOME birds respond to treatment; and other do not.

It's always been a mysterious disease... and looks like they are just now starting to get some clues on to what actually causes it and ways to help. (The virus that is said to be the culprit was discovered in 2008!) However, they also found that many birds can carry the virus and never develop PDD, while others do. So it's hard to say.

I've also read that NSAID-based painkillers have been used to treat the condition with some succcess. However, the virus will always be there. Kinds like in humans, if you ever get Mono, that virus will stay in your system forever, even though you may never get sick with it again.

Have you gotten the results back yet from the vet? I am hoping that its not PDD and it's something easier to treat. :)

OP
G

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
I have not heard back from the vet yet. They were totally booked today but are going to squeeze him in when there is a window. So not to over worry myself i am trying to cut costs so we can afford the impending bill.

Thanks for the info talongirl! I really do hope it is treatable, but I am also worried about what all this will do to his little 15yr body.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
Unfortunately, I don't have any information that could help you. I just wanted to say that until you know more, try not to panic. I know that's easier said than done though. It's nerve-wracking and heartbreaking whenever a pet is sick, since they can't tell you what's wrong and you don't know how to help. You feel so worried and helpless. But it could be something that is easily treatable. Try to think in those terms. I think at this point, trying to do any more research on your own is just going to make you panic and stress out more. You'd just be spinning your wheels. The only way you will know for sure what's going on is when the vet can take him in and do a lab test to check for any possible infections. I think trying to diagnosis the problem yourself is just going to cause you more stress.

Ask the vet what you should do in the mean time, and then do your best to keep Jake comfortable until he can be treated. That's really all you can do.

And remember too that sometimes things might seem worse than they actually are. I remember a while back, Chipper had stuff on her feathers all around her beak, like she had been throwing up during the night. She also seemed a little bit less active. I panicked and immediately set up an appointment to take her in to the vet. I was so scared that something was seriously wrong and I was almost crying. She started doing better throughout the next day, she was eating and playing with her toys. But I was still really worried. I took her to the vet and they took a culture from her mouth for a lab test. The doctor said she looked fine, but thought a lab test was a good idea to be on the safe side. It turned out there was nothing unusual, and no pathogens, thank God. Within a couple of days later, Chipper was perfectly fine. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it's possible that she just ate something that upset her stomach a little. She's never been sick since then.

I know undigested seeds in the droppings is a more serious sign, but try to keep in mind that it might not be something too serious and could be easily treated.

I hope your birdie will be feeling better soon. I'll pray for you and Jake. :)

OP
G

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Just picked Jake up from the vet. They sent off a blood test and the results should be in on Thursday. They said he seems to be doing ok. Apparently they had a staff meeting this afternoon and he entertained them with all his antics. So, praying this is just a false alarm like for ct92404. But the $200 bill is worth the peace of mind. So now he is home and eating like a pig.

One thing they did mention is that he is thin - I'll search the feeds but anyone have a tip to help him gain weight? He has been on a seed only diet all his 15yrs before I got him, so for the past month I have been slowly getting him to eat zupreem fruit blend pellets (hoping the color and taste would be enticing) along with his seed for the vitamins at least. As soon as he is eating pellet more regularly I am going to add a better brand. No intrest in fruits/veggies, although he stole a nibble of a salty cracker twice from me.

Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hope Jake is going to be okay:)

Millet and sunflower seeds in moderation may help him to put on weight. You could also make a birdie bread and see if he may try some of that.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'd try a warm mash like a sweet potato mashed up. That's how I sneak extra veggies into my birds diets since they all love mashed sweet potatoes

OP
G

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Thanks thekarens, I love the idea of trying a sweet potato mash or maybe a squash mixed in with his breakfast. Makes me excited to go to the strore :).

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Another thing I thought of is beans either just cooked or cooked and mashed. I've heard others recommend oatmeal, but my guys won't touch it.

Most Reactions