Took my Mom to The Bird Hut with me...

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
My Mom came into town today (she lives 23 miles away, not a long drive, but she doesn't do it that often) and we went out to run some errands and do some shopping.

On my list was food for Zilla (seed, treats & fresh) so first stop The Bird Hut...

Holy Cow!!!! If either of us had the money I would have come home with a baby gallah, 2 baby white bellied caiques, a female ekkie, a yellow sided gcc, an umbrella cockatoo, a green wing, a B&G, the lilac crowned amazon, 2 CAG babies, and probably a couple more!!!:eek:

She is usually the one telling me I don't need any more animals, but this time she was wanting me to figure out a way to get at least a couple of them! Kind of scary since she isn't a "bird" person!!!

She says Zilla needs a friend! :) I said Zilla has me for a friend! :)

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
You know, maybe your mum has MBS (multiple bird syndrome) and the symptoms are only just starting to appear. You know, like a virus that can lay dormant for years and than bam it appears. :D

I am pretty sure this is what my hubby says about me. I would have one of every type if we had the room. I just love them all. :)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
You know, maybe your mum has MBS (multiple bird syndrome) and the symptoms are only just starting to appear. You know, like a virus that can lay dormant for years and than bam it appears. :D

I am pretty sure this is what my hubby says about me. I would have one of every type if we had the room. I just love them all. :)

She may well have MBS! Only she wants ME to have them all, she doesn't want them at her house! :eek:

I would also love to have a whole flock, but don't have the room or the money. :(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh no, your poor mom! There is no known cure for MBS is there?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
HA!! Definitely MBS- and no, there's no known cure...it only gets "worse" :p

I may have to make a trip to the bird hut because I'm running low on some food things and forgot to order them last night ....oh darn. Lol

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots

I may have to make a trip to the bird hut because I'm running low on some food things and forgot to order them last night ....oh darn. Lol

It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't want them all to be at my house! :eek: Not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a whole flock, but I can't afford it and I do have to work full time still! :rolleyes:

Let me know when you want to make your trip to the bird hut! Maybe we could have lunch! :D

The boing is perfect, by the way. I just have to get her to not run from it like she is terrified! Introducing new toys to her is a bit tricky since she never had any and gets terrified of anything new in or near her cage. :confused:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
oh no, your poor mom! There is no known cure for mbs is there?

oh, yes there is, cleaning a hundred cages a week... !!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The boing is perfect, by the way. I just have to get her to not run from it like she is terrified! Introducing new toys to her is a bit tricky since she never had any and gets terrified of anything new in or near her cage. :confused:

My red lored was very much the same way when I got her. You have to put it out in the room, then move it closer, then lay it on top of her cage. Then allow her to investigate...

In time, it'll be more like GIMME IT! THAT'S MINE!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't want them all to be at my house! :eek: Not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a whole flock, but I can't afford it and I do have to work full time still! :rolleyes:

Let me know when you want to make your trip to the bird hut! Maybe we could have lunch! :D

Lol maybe next time we'll actually make inside the restaurant?? Hahha

I would figure a way to attach some treats to the boing--- that always works for my flock; they're easily bribed through their stomachs ;)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Or do both- attach treats to it, and do what Mark said- start out with it hanging across the room, next day- move it closer, next day- move it closer, etc till it's on top of her cage...

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots

My red lored was very much the same way when I got her. You have to put it out in the room, then move it closer, then lay it on top of her cage. Then allow her to investigate...

In time, it'll be more like GIMME IT! THAT'S MINE!

When she ran freaking out yesterday I laid it on a table about 5 feet away from her cage and if she is out with me we have to walk by it to get to the kitchen where the "good" stuff is.

I will move it closer today, and then closer tomorrow, then maybe hang it from her swing/gym (she loves that thing) and then maybe by the weekend I can actually put it in her cage.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Or do both- attach treats to it, and do what Mark said- start out with it hanging across the room, next day- move it closer, next day- move it closer, etc till it's on top of her cage...

I've had to do this with EVERY toy I have bought her. She hasn't had toys before from what I can tell so I have to introduce them slowly, then I have to play with them until she figures out what they are for.

She was used to only having a tiny cage with just perches and food/water, so everything is new to her.

She does catch onto the playing/chewing part quick once I get it into her cage though! :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally freaked out over the boing at first too...

THEN SHE PRACTICALLY LIVED ON ONE FOR CLOSE TO SEVEN YEARS... UNTIL IT WAS FINALLY REPLACED BY HER CURRENT PLAYSTAND...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Part of it could also be because of it's color.... It is orange!! Lol

If she absolutely will NOT use it no matter what you try, let me know and I'll change the color.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
SNAKE IN THE CAGE! Those things eat me! OH NO I'M GONNA DIE!

Oh wait, it's not a snake. And it bounces. And it's soft. You can chew on it....

I don't think I ever told you the story of how Sallybird ended up with a boing in the window. Well, I initially put it in her cage, and she did the full zon freakout, and continued until THAT THING was removed.

So, I hung it on a hanger from the curtain rod, and stuck the conures on it...

SEE, SILLY - NOBODY DIED! After a couple of days of this I set it down on her cage, until she got good and mad, and came out and kicked it's butt and threw it on the floor.

Then I hung it back up in the window, and set he on it.

Then she started letting herself out of her cage, and flying to it on her own...

And that's about the time I quit bothering to close cage doors.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
SNAKE IN THE CAGE! Those things eat me! OH NO I'M GONNA DIE!

Oh wait, it's not a snake. And it bounces. And it's soft. You can chew on it....

I don't think I ever told you the story of how Sallybird ended up with a boing in the window. Well, I initially put it in her cage, and she did the full zon freakout, and continued until THAT THING was removed.

SEE, SILLY - NOBODY DIED! After a couple of days of this I set it down on her cage, until she got good and mad, and came out and kicked it's butt and threw it on the floor.

Then I hung it back up in the window, and set he on it.

Then she started letting herself out of her cage, and flying to it on her own...

And that's about the time I quit bothering to close cage doors.

Awesome story! And such a pretty bird!

I love hearing your stories and seeing pics of your birds!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Birdman666 I love the hanger idea. So easy and fast and smart.

Sally is an out and about bird. That was her portable playstand for many, many years. I had two of her favorite toys attached to the hanger, and you could take it anywhere, or move it from room to room, and she had a "home" wherever she was. Absolutely stayed put on it wherever we went...

Cheap, easy, no hassle portable playstand...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Lol maybe next time we'll actually make inside the restaurant?? Hahha

I would figure a way to attach some treats to the boing--- that always works for my flock; they're easily bribed through their stomachs ;)

Drill a hole in unshelled nuts and hang them from the hanger, or hang up a skewer with treats. Then he has to stand on the thing to get his treats. Suddenly, I want to be there... Plus it will keep him busy for an hour or two.

Most Reactions

Latest posts