Tootsie and Rosa get equal exposure

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I just put up a few photos in the Poicephalus forum of my new guy Sidney so I decided that Tootsie and Rosa deserved a little exposure too.

Rosa (left) Tootsie (right)
jamesc-albums-tootsie-rosa-picture3357-tootsie-preening-rosa.jpg

jamesc-albums-tootsie-rosa-picture3351-rosa-tootsie-playpen.jpg

jamesc-albums-tootsie-rosa-picture3350-rosa-tootsie-playpen.jpg

Rosa admires her ball
jamesc-albums-tootsie-rosa-picture3349-rosa-admiring-her-ball.jpg

Last edited:

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
They are both gorgeous. Great pictures!

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
how adorable. I hope my new bird and my existing one learn to get alone just as well <3
do you ever mix them up? lol they look so alike!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
What a cute couple! I love that playing card toy too.

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
They don't get along so well always, unfortunately. Rosa gets pushy & nippy then Tootsie gets noisy. Get a bit of beak fencing after that. I'm trying to work with Rosa on it.

I generally don't mix them up unless they are back lit by light from the window. There are enough physical differences between them to make general identification easy. Chief among them is that Tootsie's tail does not fold all the way any more so the right feathers are always sticking a bit to the side. Tootsie's head feathers are lighter in color as well. And I can usually tell the differences between their voices so I can scold the one making excessive noise without looking.

You guys my like the card toy but neither of those two seem to do. They nibbled at the corners but little more than that. It was a hanging toy on a rope but it started getting pooped on. I took the unsoiled parts and put them on a rod left over from another toy that they completely devastated. Still did not get their interest in the new configuration, though.

Last edited:

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
I generally don't mix them up unless they are back lit by light from the window. There are enough physical differences between them to make general identification easy. Chief among them is that Tootsie's tail does not fold all the way any more so the right feathers are always sticking a bit to the side. Tootsie's head feathers are lighter in color as well. And I can usually tell the differences between their voices so I can scold the one making excessive noise without looking.

That's interesting C: I don't know why I asked. Even I could tell my 2 black kittens apart when I was young when no one else could & I know my dog's bark apart from every other dog's. We just know our pets.

Do Rosa & Tootsie share a cage? How was it when you first introduced the first one to the second one?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I used to have a budgie that loves flipping over playing cards. Of course it ruined playing card games, but it was more fun to watch the budgie than to play cards anyway.

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Do Rosa & Tootsie share a cage? How was it when you first introduced the first one to the second one?

They do not share a cage. I was hoping that they would but I don't want Tootsie to get dominated while I'm not there. She is getting old and is definitely the weaker of the two birds. I have a comfy perch strung between their cages and they are out whenever I am home.

I basically let the two of them see each other from across the room for a couple of weeks before I let them get close. I introduced them not long after I got that playpen in the photos, using it as neutral territory. Tootsie wanted nothing to do with Rosa for about a week but Rosa was very interested and wanted to preen. She stayed close by but did not attempt to push Tootsie. It took a week or two before Tootsie made the first overture. I saw her hesitantly lean over to nibble at Rosa's feathers briefly. She moved slowly at first but over the next couple of days she seemed to get more confident. It took about a week before she would let Rosa preen her in return. They got to be buddies after that.

Most Reactions