Top ten reasons pet birds die

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Honestly though, most of this sounds so terrifying and it really is scaremongering. With some common sense and just thinking about what could happen you can avoid most of these. Accidents happen, expect them to happen, prepare for it and it will be much easier to fix if it does. We're all here on the forum to help owners who are confused or struggling with these.

Please :)

That is what I have been saying! So many people have told me that all this can kill your bird, but they don't tell you that all this can be easily avoided by just using common since. They make it sound like once you get your bird home he/she is going to die that night and you just wasted your money and love.

As for cooking and cleaning it only make since to not cook with your bird anywhere near the kitchen. Why would I want to risk my bird flying off my shoulder and on a hot stove? For that matter why risk the gases that can escape a pan that you may have forgot about being dangerous? Leave the bird in the cage away from the kitchen and problem is solved. It also depends on the proximity of your birds cage and the kitchen. My aunt used all the cleaning products to clean, but never had the bird with her while she was cleaning. She wouldn't take the bird out of his cage until she was done cleaning and wiped down everything with a wet wash cloth. She didn't stop cleaning normally, she just used common since and left the bird in the cage and wiped down the area' s she cleaned with a cloth of water and she dried it off after. She also did not clean around the birds area with the stuff, just the kitchen and bathrooms.

I have been reading everything I can find about conures and it all says my bird is going to die! Nothing says just use common since and your bird will be ok. I understand wanting to give good advice and tell you all the dangers that you need to watch for, but most articles make it sound like that a bird will die right away and you have no hope!

Last edited:

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I read the articles and what everyone says, and yet I know people that have birds for years and never had a problem using the Non Stick pans, scented candles. Yet they don't cook with the bird on their shoulders and they don't use the candles in the area the birds are housed.

PTFE is the danger when it comes to anything that heats up.... Not all non-stick pans have PTFE. In fact, I have two sets of non-stick pans without PTFE.

The biggest concern with candles was the lead wicks. Most candles now-a-days don't contain lead. At least, that's how I understood it... that, and scented candles are also dangerous because of what's put into them. Soy candles and regular candles I *think* are ok, but I still don't burn candles.

My wife and I do burn a lot of candles, so I already know that is something I will have to stop around the bird. As for cooking pans, I will make sure from now on to look for pans that don't have that PTFE on them. All my pans are cheap wal-mart pans anyway without any kind of non-stick coating. I am just not going to worry about all the dangers and use common since. Why would I want to cook with my bird on my shoulder or near my kitchen? It just sounds dumb, and I think people forget that while they are companion birds, they are still animals and need to be protected from harm. I don't understand why people would let a small animal run free around their house and expect it to be ok, it seems silly to me. I do have a lot of experience with small animals (Just not birds) and not once would I let them run around my house without me watching their every move!! I know many bird owners out their will disagree, but I don't see the point of leaving your bird out of the cage while your doing something else! I look forward to having my bird on my shoulders while watching TV or playing on the Computer! But I will not have my bird out of the cage if I am gone or if I am doing something that will not allow me to focus on my bird!!

Last edited:
OP
C

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
i dont think you have to be that overly protective..
my conures are enjoying nutriberries on the couch and i'm in the other room right now :)
i let my conures hang out ontop of their cage alone often. because i have three, they dont like to be separated, so once the group is together and get separated all they care about it getting back to the group..
thats why i have a ladder from the ground to the cage. :)
i keep my conures caged only at night because caging a bird causes behavioral and emotional problems.
wild birds arent neurotic and dont behaviorally pluck feathers.
teaching them a contact call can be pretty helpful to keep them safe when alone.
i yell out "what cha doin?" and all three respond "what cha doin?" lol

Moseysgrandma

Dec 29, 2019
SO much great information! Thank you.
How about having rugs professionally steam cleaned?
I want to have that done soon. Will the carpet be safe for her to walk/ play on?
Is it safe for her to be in the house while it’s being done?

Most Reactions