Toys

Jayserileytekno

Aug 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Green cheek
Tekno doesn't really interact with his toys in his cage. There's a swing with rope and the rope gets the most attention out of all of them. I've seen conures in shops that go absolutely nuts with toys but mine isn't interested. Same thing with his calcium perch thingy.
Would it be an idea to start moving things around now?

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
I would say its time to have a move around yes.

You could try playing with the toys yourself. I've found that when I start playing with the toys and saying how fun they are Tich starts to get interested.

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Louis - GCC, hatched 9.05.2012
You could try playing with the toys yourself
That's true. If I want my my bird to try out new toy or to try new food to eat I show her what to do. Then - I have no problems :) For example 2 days ago I made a rope ladder and when I was hanging it in her cage she thought that I'm playing with that so she jumped on it and started going up and down. Now it's one of her favourite things to do :D

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I am going to have to find a way to put food in Pepper's toys to get her to play with them. She just doesn't play with her toys. I don't know if she needs time to get used to them or what (her previous owner said she didn't play with toys there either). She likes pens but they drop down through her cage grating so they don't get used very long. She loves punching holes through my clothes, so I was thinking of doing fabric toys, but then I'm worried about loose threads causing accidents. She loves paper so I stuck a phone book in her cage and she ignored it too.
Part of the issue is she spends most of her time on her playtop. I will have to drill in the ceiling to get dangly toys for her up there. My dad and I are going to make her a play stand, but she is taking so long to get adjusted to the perch-stands I got her I know I need to take it easy with her. She is scared of her new perches and wants off when I set her on them. So I've been doing short periods and treating her.

My new tactic is to tie paper strips to her toys to get her to play with them. Then I will figure how to incorporate almonds.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Try different toys. I've also found that taking something out for a week and then putting it back sometimes generates interest.

For some reason, Scooter goes nuts for anything that is orange and rattley. He likes noise toys and easy-chew toys.

Most Reactions