Toys!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I had my Conure now for about 2 months. He has not once played with any of his toys we bought him. :-/ I have tried to show him, I played with the toys everything!

All he wants to do is cuddle when we have him out of the cage, but when we put him back in his cage he does nothing but sit on his perch like he is being neglected. :p We have him out with us for most of the day, and on a light day he still gets two hours of hang out time with us. We let him on top of his cage when we are supervising in the room, but all he does is sit and try to come to us. We think it's sweet, and we try not to hurt his feelings by not cuddling, but I am worried that when we leave the house for a few hours all he does is sit in one spot.

He eats and goes around the cage for his water, but just seems board all day when we are not here. Any way we can get him to play with his toys? Maybe he just does not like the ones we got? Would another Green Cheeks be the answer?

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Just wondering, can you list the type of toys you have for him? Here are a few ideas you may have not tried:
-the bottom half of egg cartons (ink free side)
-crinkle paper
-card board
-paper...
-ALL types of wood~thin and thick sliced, shaped, cubed. Have you tried balsa wood? It's the only wood my GCCs will play with. It's really soft.
-Rainbow! Try all different colors. My sennie Oliver will only play with yellow things.
-Leather, both flat, shaped pieces, or simply the cord
-Preening toys?

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
My GCC didn't really touch his toys for a good few months. After a while he got more involved, although he only likes toys he can destroy and unleash rage upon. Strings of lolly sticks are firm favourites, although he does also like to take frustration out on strings of coke bottle lids.

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Thank you all, I will try all of them. As of now, I got a few wooden things, and a Shredder he never touches. I got some bells he never plays with as well.

How would I go about introducing a play mate? Maybe a cinnamon conure? I don't like animals being alone if they like friends. It won't be for a few months thou.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
While another conure might get on well with your existing conure, bear in mind that your relationship with him might change heavily. Others here will be able to elaborate (I've only got one bird), but it's something to consider.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sit with your bird on the floor, have a toy nearby.

You begin playing with the toy, kissing it, giving it lovies, and singing to it (yeah it all sounds mad but it works)
Show your bird what fun the toy is, and eventaully he should show an interest in the toy.
When placing the bird back in the cage, place the toy in the cage, and you begin playing with it again.
Each time you out the bird back, play with the toy.

Good luck

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Also, if you get another bird, its best to expect the worst for your relationship with your current bird. The birds could bond with each other, and lose their bond with you altogether. Its happened to me with my doves :(

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I got Bella and Zora already as a bonded pair. They are not hands on AT ALL. No cuddling, scritches, nothing except stepping up. They have a strong bond with me but a stronger b8nd with themselves.

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I think a strong bond with another Bird would be helpful for us. It's not that we don't have the time or ability to take care of Patrick, nor is our lifestyle that demanding not for us to play with our bird, but I like the Idea of him being able to have a playmate that he could be friends with even if we are not here 24/7. I would be upset a little if he does not want to play with us anymore.

As long as they are both nice when we have him. My only problem right now he seems so board when we are gone that when we are home he is starving for attention. It makes me sad to leave him in his cage but we got too, we have cats and I don't want to step on him or risk him being lost. When I own my own home I hope to have a big garage to build a bird Avery that he and a friend could feel more open with. Right now the mission is to find him toys he likes and get him playing so he is no so board during the day.

Would it be helpful maybe to remove the sleeping tent we have and only put it in during bed time? He is never in it but during bed time, just wondering if that might do something.

Most Reactions