Dyed hair?

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Peeko really loves preening my hair! I'm a bit concerned, though - my hair was dyed in August. I'm unsure if this could make him sick? This is the kind of dye I used - Splat Hair Color "Aqua Rush"

If dying my hair is going to be problematic for Peeko, I have no problem stopping. I just want to make sure...?

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
My concern about this specific dye is that it washes out a little at a time every time you wash - even now the shower water gets a blue tint.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I dye my hair, and needless to say that I do it in a separate part of the house from them with vents on.
I don't let Mishka preen my hair or even get too close to it for the first 24 hours, when you're not supposed to wash it.
After that 24 hours, though, when I've washed my hair and can't even really smell the dye I reckon it is then safe.

:grey:

Thekatsmeow

Aug 14, 2012
Athens,Tennessee
Parrots
Scottie Rotten the Massively Minute Macaw
I haven't posted in ages but I thought I would put my two cents in on this one. The dye she is referring to is very different to the ones normally used to dye hair. It is not a permanent hair dye and washes out with every wash. It doesn't penetrate the hair shaft like other hair coloring is meant to do. My advice is if you want to continue to color your hair in those beautiful shades, look into Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids. They are a a professional product though so you will have to find a hairdresser or someone with a license to get it for you. They are the longest lasting of the vivids. Even Manic Panic who claims to be non toxic contains toxic ingredients. You will pay a bit more for the pravana but it lasts and the fading doesn't seem to go to yucky colors along with the fact that your bird will not be harmed when preening your beautiful blue hair! Good luck with your decisions.

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I haven't posted in ages but I thought I would put my two cents in on this one. The dye she is referring to is very different to the ones normally used to dye hair. It is not a permanent hair dye and washes out with every wash. It doesn't penetrate the hair shaft like other hair coloring is meant to do. My advice is if you want to continue to color your hair in those beautiful shades, look into Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids. They are a a professional product though so you will have to find a hairdresser or someone with a license to get it for you. They are the longest lasting of the vivids. Even Manic Panic who claims to be non toxic contains toxic ingredients. You will pay a bit more for the pravana but it lasts and the fading doesn't seem to go to yucky colors along with the fact that your bird will not be harmed when preening your beautiful blue hair! Good luck with your decisions.

Thanks a ton, that's what I needed to know. I'll stop dying my hair. We wouldn't be able to afford a professional product and it isn't worth risking Peeko's safety.

Most Reactions

Latest posts