Toys

lilchris_28

Jul 20, 2014
Kentucky
Parrots
2 Parakeets, Martin and Pipsqueak
As I walked down the aisle at Petsmart today, I was like "wow, there's so much to choose from." Then I started really looking at the toys. Only about 1/2 of them were the appropriate size for a GCC. Then upon further inspection, that one was held together by a small link chain or galvanized wire. This one could fray and the bird could get caught. By the time it was all said and done, I found like four toys I feel relatively comfortable won't kill my new bird when I get it.

How do you know if something is safe? Am I being overly paranoid? I'm already returning the pumice perch and happy hut I bought after doing more research on those and finding out they suck also. If my bird gets injured or killed on a toy or object I put in the cage for him, I'm going to freak out.

Also, on an unrelated note, how am I suppose to choose the bird that's right for me when the only GCC around here are $350 at Petsmart? Nothing else is close enough to drive to choose before it's time for the baby to come home and most of the time at that point, they're all spoken for anyway.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good observation about bird toys! You're absolutely right. Just because these toys are made for birds, doesn't mean they're made in the safest way unfortunately!

If you're unsure about a certain item, I'd just pass on it. Are there any bird specialty stores in your area? You can google to find out if you're not sure. You will be blown away at the selection of toys! Typically Petsmart might have more toys on the unsafe side, BUT that's not to say every toy is safe from bird stores either. As you noticed, using size appropriate toys is one safety measure. If you are able to go to a bird store, after a while you will get to know the better toy brands. The reputable manufacturers will make the metal parts out of safe nickel plated metal. Stainless steel is the best, but is very pricey so not many are made of SS, and if it is, it will always say so. I always notice that swings are made with a weird looking grayish metal frame. I want to get Raven a swing for his cage, but I always run into this.
Anyway, your common sense will go a long way when there's no one around to ask, and it sounds like you'll do just fine. A couple basic things would be to make sure there are no parts where the bird could get it's head caught in, and cut away any frayed, loose fibers so feet and nails can't get caught.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Keep researching toy safety and keep researching on finding your bird. In time something will come your way.

OP
L

lilchris_28

Jul 20, 2014
Kentucky
Parrots
Sandy's Pet Shop is considered the "bird store" in the area. I'm not so sure about that, but I suppose it's worth a visit when I get paid on Friday. What would I google to search for others?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
In response to getting the right bird... not all of us are fortunate enough to just "click" with the bird we meet. Avery came from PetLand, and while we love each other we have our disagreements. Shiko, my IRN, came from a breeder in Ontario and I never met him until he came home. Your birds will generally warm up to you and bond with you over time so long as you're positive with them and love them. I wouldn't worry so much. :)

As for toys, Julie has it covered. Many members here prefer to shop on MySafeBirdStore. There's a lot of online website you can buy safe bird toys from if you don't mind paying the shipping.

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
I have the same issue in the pet stores that cater to all sorts of animals. I am fortunate to have a wonderful bird store within reasonable driving distance and enjoy choosing from their numerous toys. However, I also buy on amazon pretty frequently. I like that because I can read all the reviews from other purchasers and I keep a separate window open to do my own research on each toy before buying. Haven't had a single problem in the 4 years I've had my GCC and just bought a toy and perch from amazon for my new IRN. All great!

OP
L

lilchris_28

Jul 20, 2014
Kentucky
Parrots
I don't mind paying extra for shipping if it keeps my bird safe! I'm nesting today. I'm getting the room ready for the baby when he/she comes home. I haven't even made a deposit yet, but I want to have everything ready before I seriously begin to look. I don't want to fall in love with one and not have enough money to buy it yet.

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
If you end up liking amazon and using frequently, you should sign up for amazon prime! That's what we have so I get free 2 day shipping on everything I order. It's like $80 a year I think but we use it so much that it's so worth it. We'd be paying out the butt in shipping otherwise. Just a thought if you find it helpful for your baby's supplies :) we have 2 birds and a dog so it comes in handy!

OP
L

lilchris_28

Jul 20, 2014
Kentucky
Parrots
I use Drs. Foster and Smith a lot because it's free shipping over $49.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sandy's Pet Shop is considered the "bird store" in the area. I'm not so sure about that, but I suppose it's worth a visit when I get paid on Friday. What would I google to search for others?

For example, "bird stores near (your city)". See what comes up :). My Safe Bird Store mysafebirdstore.com one of the sponsors here, is a great online bird store too.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
I look for toys that don't have wires, hooks, small parts that can be swallowed, chains, anything that looks like the bird could get a foot caught or strangle.
It is incredible how many unsafe toys there are for our pets. Like said above, use common sense and if you have any doubts... pass.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And if it's a macaw, try ZERO options... at least from the chain stores.

I've always done better by making my own anyway.

Most Reactions

Latest posts