How do I make the cuddles? lol

MissLarissa

Jul 22, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Green Cheek Pineapple Conure - Rico
My green cheek is friendly, don't get me wrong, he sleeps curled up in a green fleece blanket on my bed while I stay up, he gives me kisses, and can gently take food, but I can only pet him on his back. I have seen many videos of people holding their bird lying on their back, petting their necks, wings, bellies and feet. My little Rico won't let me touch him there, only on his back. When I try to touch him there he 'eerp's at he and scoots away or bites. The really odd part is that if I wrap him in that fleece blanket he will let me rub him anywhere, he can even see my hand doing it, but if he sees that it is my bare hand he will 'errp'. I know he is still a baby, he is only 5 months old, but it would really melt my heart and make it easy to trim his nails and fix his feathers when he messes up a wing feather and can't fix it. How can I get him to enjoy being rubbed and petted everywhere?

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
I honestly think that's a personality thing. My Eva is pretty particular about a lot of things, including how I'm allowed to touch her. She has become more of a cuddler over time (she's 4 years old) but there are still certain things she hates. As with Rico, I can take more liberties with her when she is wrapped up, like when I'm drying her a little after a bath. She trusts me enough that she won't freak out or anything if I touch where she doesn't like, but she'll make a sound or poke me as a warning. I've learned to just accept her the way she is :) with how young yours is, you never know, maybe he will grow to like it!

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
I can only give my Jenday scratches while he's perched on my hand. If he's on my shoulder, his cage, his stand - you name it - he won't let me. I'm not sure if it's because of how he was raised or his personality, but either way I'm just gonna live with it.

I prefer him grooming me, anyway ^^

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Your bird is so young I would not give up yet. I trained my green cheek by slowly wrapping my hand around him and gently inverting my hand so that he was upside down in my hand. At first he did not like it and would nip me a bit and roll right back over. I let him do that, but I did the same thing several times a day every day for several weeks until he was used to it. Over time he eventually stayed on his back in my hand for a little longer I would let him remain that way until he flipped back over. After this is achieved, you can slowly begin to touch his belly, wings, feet, head. Be persistent and patient and don't give up. Have fun :)

Most Reactions