Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
We've kept the Lovies separate from the rest of the flock (although now we can reunite them all, as we know there was nothing contagious) to make sure the others didn't get sick. The rest of the Lovies are absolutely fine.

Our local Barred Owl has made attempts to get at the Lovies in the past (the double-pane windows, screens, etc. prevented this), but even though the owl got within 4" of the Lovies (separated only by the glass etc.), they only got fired up & aggressive toward it (I've never seen our Lovies afraid of ANYTHING!). If the owl had actually managed to get into the house, I think the little terrors would have tried to kill it.

This time, though, we'd moved all 6 Lovies to the basement (3 cages, side by side), and the ones that died were in the cage farthest from the window (which had the curtains drawn). It's still a sad mystery.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It could have been a weird shadow that freaked them out. It doesn't have to have been a real threat, just a perceived one. Poor little babies, but it's good to have assurance that there's no disease that can affect the others :(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
As I came across this thread again, I am sad for you, and I wish you had gotten a more telling report. It just doesn't make sense to me. With fear extreme enough to end one's life, I would think they'd have been spastically flying and knocking around, not sitting still and huddled together. It couldn't be a disease either since what are the chances they both go at exactly the same time the same way. I know your heart hurts about this. :(

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I'm so sorry for all the losses you've had the past year. Time will help lessen the pain, although it never goes away completely. (((hugs)))

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Hi, I just saw this today about your lovebirds sudden death. I'm so sorry.
I have also never been 100% satisfied with the findings after Georgie, my sun conure, died. The necropsy was inconclusive and the tissue was even shipped to a west coast lab for histo report but when I saw the findings I was not totally settled. I was told that sometimes they have to make their best educated guess because even they are not certain.
It does make it hard to have total closure, I know. I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It could have been a weird shadow that freaked them out. It doesn't have to have been a real threat, just a perceived one. Poor little babies, but it's good to have assurance that there's no disease that can affect the others :(

Exactly.

Wierd shadow coupled with noises from an owl in the area... ordinary night frights where one bird gets the other birds worked into a state...

Birds panic. I'm not sure you can startle train a love bird. I haven't really worked with the little guys much.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I'm so sorry. Have you got a carbon monoxide detector near the cage? Furnace season just began where I live, and CO collects near the floor - maybe picking the birdie up got him back into fresh air? Birds are far more sensitive to gas than humans. Furnaces can get out of adjustment and create this odorless , poisonous gas.

Most Reactions