apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
No one else sees a bird not getting vet care as a problem? Ok... :confused:

Greencheek, I just want to say, it's not easy for me to get my birds a check up frequently due to $$$ issues and vet placement. Our only avian vet is 45 minutes away. And I'm the only one who cares and mostly pays for my animals. My parents don't really care about them a lot. I give them as much as I can to be happy healthy birds. And at the moment, I don't have a lot of money and my mom won't take me unless I have the money. My birds are currently happy and healthy at the moment and I do the best I can. I hope you understand :)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
And plus, I'm only 16, still in high school, and I'm trying to find a job. It's not easy for me.

Well said a94, we all know what its like to be 16 and strapped for cash...pretty much the same as being 21 and strapped for cash lol ;) But you try your hardest to keep your flock (and lets not forget Shelby) happy and health and thats all they can ask of you.

On another note, I tried target training IN the cage this morning, as buddy is a bit stubborn about coming out for some exercise. It worked very well everywhere inside the cage until I had to get her to climb on the door to get out of the cage (its one of those big swing out doors). She's a smarty pants, but inch by inch she is getting further out of the cage. Once she's out she loves it, its just a matter of re-building that confidence. About 2 years ago she nearly died from hepatitis and had paralysis from the wings joints and down. Since then she has been very shy and needs lots of praise and encouragement to come out of the cage, poor thing.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Okay, so im Trying a new training method (actually i used it on my tiel)... since it's summer i can do it more often... already, after day one, he has stopped nipping.

How's Kiwi going with all the training, is he learning? What do you plan on teaching him? I think training is so much fun, that feeling you get the first time they try to do something is so amazing. I remember when I taught my tiel her first trick - the wave, the first time she did it by herself almost gave me a heart attach lol I was so excited. Training helps build such a good relationship, good on you.

OP
boabab95

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Okay, so im Trying a new training method (actually i used it on my tiel)... since it's summer i can do it more often... already, after day one, he has stopped nipping.

How's Kiwi going with all the training, is he learning? What do you plan on teaching him? I think training is so much fun, that feeling you get the first time they try to do something is so amazing. I remember when I taught my tiel her first trick - the wave, the first time she did it by herself almost gave me a heart attach lol I was so excited. Training helps build such a good relationship, good on you.

He's doing well. he's picking things up quick.

I'll Probably teach him, High 5/wave, Basketball, harness training, more words, better whistling, stuff like that.

Last edited:

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
SUCCESSSS!!!! Bartleby touched the target (I used a shish-kebab stick) twice in 20 minutes! I'm so proud of him. Thanks sooo much AB. This is a great breakthrough!

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

He's doing well. he's picking things up quick.

I'll Probably teach him, High 5/wave, Basketball, harness training, more words, better whistling, stuff like that.

Nice little repertoire. I will be interested to hear about any harness training you do as i would like to try this in the near future.

He was angry today for some reason, so we finished about 10 minutes later. most go for 15-30 minutes.

Yea just like us they have those days where they really couldn't give a ducky. Mine have pretty short attention spans too. 10 mins is about the max and then they start making up their own tricks :rolleyes:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
SUCCESSSS!!!! Bartleby touched the target (I used a shish-kebab stick) twice in 20 minutes! I'm so proud of him. Thanks sooo much AB. This is a great breakthrough!

So happy for u 94, before you know it Bartelby will be running back and forth like a mad bird to get that stick. ;)

What are you using for the bridge? clickers, tongue clicks and verbal praise (good boy) all work well.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
i'll keep you up to date. the problem is on monday, i leave to brooklyn for a week and my dad's going to be home to care for him. i might have to start all over

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
i'll keep you up to date. the problem is on monday, i leave to brooklyn for a week and my dad's going to be home to care for him. i might have to start all over

Just get a few sessions in before you go and he will remember. Like I said, I left it 2 years between training sessions with my tiel after she got sick, and she got it first go when we started again 2 days ago. Just like parrots remember negative things, they also remember the positive things.

Most Reactions