Training tips for hyper bird?

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
So I have my new Kakariki and my new Turquoisine. They are both wild. The Turq is a year old but no matter their age they are pretty much gonna be a bit skittish. He runs away in the cage, I grab him (with soft gloves) and then put him on my uncovered hands and he will stay and then fly away and it goes back and forth. I know they are very flighty.

However. My Kakariki is 8 months old and she is nuts! She's sooo hyper. She was parent raised, unlike my last Kakariki who was handfed. I know she can be tamed because my last one was, and I know it will just take longer.

Here's my problem. Caught her same way, gloves, towel, brought into bathroom with dowel and T stand. Got her onto my hands and she kept running away and then she just sat a little terrified on my finger for a bit. I pet her back, her head, her tummy, talked to her. I was like wow this is great. Used both my fingers and the small dowel to try to teach her step up. But then she just went bananas. She was so hyper she didn't want to step up she would just jump on me and start climbing my arms and head and jump off and run around and climb a towel then jump back on me etc etc etc she was just everywhere. She would go on my hand and then next thing I know she's climbing the front of my shirt and then she is back on the floor. She just got way too hyper. So I put her in the towel again to just hold her to my chest and she was biting at the towel but I released her onto my hand afterwards. Did this 3 or 4x but she still got super hyper.

How do you train a bird who will run away in the cage until caught, and then run all over (including on you) when out. She doesn't seem to fear me too much because she will jump on my hand and leg and arm, etc. She's just all over the place climbing everything. I call her a monkey cause she's always walking across the ceiling of her cage haha she reminds me of a small child with a short attention span!!!! Help!! Lol :green1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
While I've never had a Kākāriki or grass parakeets, I have been successful with separating 4 essentially wild sun conure siblings, parent raised like your guys, and working with them individually.....I don't know your apartment's configuration, but have worked in several upper west side properties, so know your possible limitations, but then yours are not siblings and probably not even friends yet, so if you work with each bird individually with your training routines everything should work out.....

I think I might quit chasing them around, sit by the cage, with the door open, talk to it & let the bird come to you on its terms...maybe hold treats in an open hand, but don't reach for the bird when it does come out, then after a few or more times of taking the treats from your open hand, move the treat(s) to your wrist, forearm, etc......when the bird realizes you're not going to chase it, it will feel more comfortable.....

Have you thought about a wing clip? Clips are only until the next molt, but gives you the opportunity of being able to focus a bird's attention on what you're trying to teach it rather than escaping from you.....since there are several different training methods, you might want to try a different one on each bird.....when I was training the suns, I was interested in getting them hand tame & not interested in trick training.....it took 3-4 months working with each bird to be able to ask an individual bird to step-up without treats.....

I've had my nanday for almost 6 years & he's never been much for handling...I can get him to step-up or he will fly to my shoulder, he likes to preen my ears & pull out individual hairs but if I move to handle him, he's off somewhere else.....there is an attachment there, because I walked out of the house early one morning, to feed the girl's outdoor bevy of cats & here comes Fenix, my nanday.....the evening before I'd cleaned the three outdoor cages.....

In the warm cool/weather, before or after mosquito season my guys usually like to stay in their outdoor cages, even overnight.....so having a bird land on my shoulder when it's just barely light was a bit of a surprise, especially when none of them had yet greeted or acknowledged me being in the carport...I reached up, he stepped-up & over to his cage we went.....because he was so eager to go back to his cage, he may have been out all night.....apparently after cleaning the cages I neglected to check all the door latches & he simply pushed a feed door open & climbed out.....what surprised me was that his better half stayed in their cage...they've been an item for over 11 years.....

Most Reactions