Tricks to Gaining trust in new GCC

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
No bird is going to be your BFF in a short time, it's a given and I'm a patient person...working with horses means you either be patient or you end up in the ER so it's something I learned quickly. After doing research for a few months I narrowed my search down to 2 birds, the conure or a cockatiel. I want a bird that I can bond with not a show piece and the conure seemed to most fit. I have owned rats for years, they are my babies, but to be honest their short life span means getting close and saying goodbye in what seems like a blink. I want a companion I can have for a long time. Having Fibromyalgia means I spend most of my time at home, so a companion helps. To me they are my children.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what has worked for them with gaining the trust of a Conure that is not 100% comfortable with being handled or picked up, and helping him adjust to a new home. I'm in no rush and want to earn his Trust, Respect, and Love on his time. Bringing him home today he was obviously terrified and the calm, sweet bird I met at the shop, today, was a 'monster'. Biting at me through the bars, bowing aggressively, and would begin 'eating' his pellets in extreme harshness. He didn't throw them but seemed to be taking his aggression out on them. As soon as I walk towards the cage he goes on defense. However he is eating and drinking.

I want to do this the Right way. I have read so many things on what to do, obviously it's going to take a few days for him to calm down, and while I will talk to him in passing, announce my presence before entering the room his cage is in, and I'm in the room a lot, I've basically been ignoring him and letting him observe and relax with me in the room. Is there anything I can do over the next few weeks that can help make his transition from Nervous Nelly, to a more calm little guy, less stressful on him? I would like to have him comfortable and want to see me before I even start with trying to reach in and touch him. He made the first move at the store, so I'd like to wait for him to make that first move again, regardless of time. Below is some background on him and how we met.

Conlan, my Green Cheek Conure, came from a pet store. As I have no breeders local and no rescues or shelters had any for adoption, I went in search of one and found this guy at a local family-owned shop. The shop was clean, all animals looked healthy and the staff was very informative. Conlan was the first one to come right up to the cage, climb up to my height and bob his head, chatting away. At the associates go ahead I reached my finger up and he played with it, sweet as ever. As I looked at a few others he followed me along the cage. Though hand shy, as he was not handled often, he would allow me to lift my hand to him and he'd play with my fingers and sleeve, but wasn't ok with being picked up. I was told he was born in November of 2014. Eyes, nose, feathers, were are all clear, he's active, not fluffing, and when you talked to him he's a Chatty Cathy and an attention hog :) I spent 45 minutes just talking to him as he played with my fingers with his beak and tongue, and chatted and bobbed his head with me. Needless to say I found my first feathered 'child'. Today when I went to pick him up he was the same...until the associate reached in with a glove to grab him and trim his wings before placing him in the carrier I brought. He screamed when she first grabbed him then stayed quiet until I got him home and into his new cage. He obviously feels outed and terrified and I feel horrible about it...I'm the type of pet mom if my rats go to the vet I get upset when they squeak, which is usually over something as simple as placing them on a scale haha.

So any tips for a 'new mom' on making this transition an easier one on him? Like i said, if it take months before I can pick him up so be it. I just want him happy, confident, and healthy.

Many Thanks from Conlan and myself!

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
It sounds like he isn't hand tame yet. I would sit outside his cage at a comfortable distance and chatter away calmly at him to get him used to you. There are also some great threads on this forum about training and taming that I am sure someone will post links to soon--I am on my phone so I don't have the bookmarks or I would post them.

Lots of times the birds at pet stores haven't been handled much outside of maintenance and are forced at those times (like bringing out the glove to get him). Give him some time to relax and chill about his new surroundings. You have to imagine that you have known one little place your whole life, seen people hands only when they want to grab at you, and then are suddenly transported to a new universe filled with things you have never seen in your life. I bet in a few days he will not be such a nervous nelly.

Just a note, my Quaker pretty much always attacks his pellets like a cereal killer (catch my play on words there? ;P), so he may be attacking his pellets or that may just be how he eats.

Good luck with your new boy! It is tough when they are not hand tamed, but with work
I am sure he will come around!

Most Reactions

Latest posts