Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Well our 4 day trip is done but I ended up not taking Buddy because of a major change, one of the kids had open heart surgery. So Buddy stayed with my mother. I put Buddy in his travel cage and we loaded his old cage and took him over. Before we left we ate dinner there. Buddy had come out of his travel cage and was on my shoulder. He had dinner too and we settled him in.

Four days later I heard he was missing me and depressed but was talking and eating as usual. When I went to pick him up, he acted like he didn't know me and went to the back of his cage, biting at me and growling. After an hour I had him out, on my shoulder and we had dinner before leaving, rice was made so he got a little. He was a happy camper and didn't want to go back in his travel cage but he did. He's home and settled.

My question is since I've had them for a little over 3 months, is it normal that he didn't act like I was home, not a stranger? Anger maybe? That's what my mother thinks but I don't agree.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
He simply had to get used to you all over again. He most likely didn't want to come out of the cage because the cage is his safety zone. He feels protected in there and trusted the cage to keep him safe, not you. Don't take it personal. He is trying to survive in a world he does not understand. In cases like these you simply have to start from square one and rebuilt the trust.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I've had my pet nape"punish" me when i've been gone and return. It usually doesn't last long but she seems to be paying me back for leaving her.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I've had my pet nape"punish" me when i've been gone and return. It usually doesn't last long but she seems to be paying me back for leaving her.

Yup. Both my parents zons as well as Kiwi "punish" when you "abandon" them for a few days. One of the worst bites I've ever got was when we got back from a week long vacation. Kiwi was leaning forward like he wanted a kiss, and took a chunk out of my lip instead. He wanted me to know he did not appreciate being left with my mom.

Buddy was ticked at you, and let you know through some aggressive behavior and the cold shoulder. Fortunately, they won't stay mad forever, especially if a favorite treat is involved:D

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
He's such a turkey! I'm glad he's back to the usual Buddy now. I told husband he will be on more trips. He said Great and mumbled Noah, lol!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hope all is well after the surgery. I think a lot of birds can be like that. Mine aren't, but I know it's common. It'll be back to normal soon I'm sure. :)

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Surgery went extremely well. In fact she (the patient) went home today. Husband and I went and wrangled the kids so Mom and Dad could focus on the patient. My only issue was Grandma feeding five kids ice cream at 10PM, but I sent them to sleep with Grandma that night. That was the first and last night Grandma fed them sugar that late, lol!!! We stayed in a hotel, two rooms next to each other, Grand Parents in one, us in the other, kids running between both.

Most Reactions

Latest posts