Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Dear all :)
I returned home from uni to find a green lovebird perched on my cockatiel's cage, the two seem to be friendly. However as I walked in the front door the noise started it and it flew away. I phone my neighbor whose young son had one as a pet turns out it flew away. I am trying to catch it and return it to little Aidan. Please help. So far I ve put my budgies, lovebirds and cocktails out on the patio with a cage with food, millet and water for the lovebird. Any change it would return? I feel sad that a child lost his pet bird and want to help return it. thank you very much. Have a nice day.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Good luck! I hope he finds his way back to you and then to his little owner:)

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Tank you :) The little guy is now safe and sound :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yay! That's great news, thank you for the update:)

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
The little guy :)

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh, that's a wonderful outcome! You can't just leave us hanging - we need a blow-by-blow description of how he came home again. Who caught him? You? If so, how? Did it take long? Please let us know in case any of us needs to do the same thing in the future. :)

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Dear Betrisher,
I would quite happily tell the tale of my green feathered friend and his journey home. I arrived home from uni much earlier than usual due to classes being cancelled for the afternoon, and the first thing I do upon my return is put my bag on the table and greet my cockatiel Pudgie who lives inside with us. When I gazed in her direction I noticed a tiny feathered friend perched on top her cage chatting animatedly with her. Instinctively I closed the door and approached slowly however she was started and flew through the spaces in the decorative bricks and into my amazons home. Realizing this I ran outside to my parrots ( Kiwi and Pickles) who were preening this ting green bird and sharing their eggfood/ seed mix. However when I drew closer the little green one flew into the garage onto my lovebird amd budgie cages and kept walking about trying to get into their cages. Upon seeing this I quickly set up a cage with millet, seeds and water which I placed in the middle of my bird cages and I brought Pudgie out to encourage the little one to return. Then I set a boogey trap on the cage door and sat on the floor with the string in hand while I waited for the little one to go into the cage. An hour and a half later the little one put herself into the cafe and fell asleep, at this point I pulled on the string which closed the door. Initially I thought this little green friend was a lovebird, but upon closer inspection I think she may be a parrotlet, any views on this. In retrospect catching her was a lot easier because of my birds and the fact that she wanted to be around them, my neighbor keeps cats so when I saw her my first thought was I need to catch her before the cat does and fortunately I did. She was quite a sweet girl and had little Aidan not lost her and a search for the owner futile she would have quite happily been a member of my family. I hope this helps anyone trying to catch a bird in future. Cheers :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, she looks like a little parrotlet! Glad you were able to capture her in a cage!

How's she doing now?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh prsgirl77! That was brilliant! How clever you were! It's not easy to catch a bird and I think your ingenuity and patience paid off handsomely. Thank you so much for the update! :D :D :D

Most Reactions