Trying to find my Best Bird..

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
But does anyone have reasons I should avoid pionus as a species altogether?

None. In fact they would be one of the better choices to go with budgies as far as I know. They aren't the most commonly kept birds and tbh I know very little about them. Maybe someone with more experience with Pionus will come by and offer an informed opinion.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
Thank you for that insight. Do you only mean the "full size" parrots like Cockatoos/Amazons/Etc, or even something the size of a Quaker or Ringneck?

I thought they could get along with those more "midsize" birds pretty safely, kept in a separate cage just let out together with supervision.
My Alexandrine ( looks like a ring neck) is my baby but we also have Love Birds and let me tell ya- They HATE each other! The lovebirds get time out everyday and so does my Alex and I have to be right there or else it would be "Fight Time". They even get close they are all opening their beaks and hissing! When they are all out at the same time- Its NOT good because they are not relaxed and enjoying their time out of the cage. So its different times now, to keep everyone happy and healthy. Small birds and Med. sized birds dont necessarily get along any better than tiny birds and large ones. Good Luck with whatever you decide in the future!

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
I know there are a million threads about this kind of thing. I have read most of them :) But it's still so hard to try to narrow down in your own head.
I would reaaally love some guidance/suggestions.

After wanting a parrot forever, I finally got two little budgies from a breeder this April. They are adorable but have really pushed me MORE into wanting a bigger bird.
First - I do not intend to get another bird until the budgies are a year old, because I don't want to take any attention away from them while they are still maturing and I am still learning how to "bird mom".
But, I am the kind of person who does ALL the research - so I am trying to pin down what kind of bird I intend to get so I can focus my knowledge gathering efforts for the next 9 or so months.

Here is what I am pretty sure I want.. somewhat ranked in importance.

1) Not likely to be mean to the little budgies. This bird will be my baby, but they were here first so they have to come first.

2) Will do well as a "single" bird. They will have the budgies of course, but I'd like this bird to bond with us humans more. I also don't want to end up with a whole aviary right now :)

3) Able to be a "family" bird with the right socializing. I know that most parrots are going to be one-person birds, but I would like them to enjoy interacting with my bf as well - and not be attacking him. We also have a little nephew that comes to stay for a couple of days once a year or so, and I'd love for him to be able to interact with my bird (under supervision). I know certain breeds are more prone to biting without warning - so, I want to avoid that.
3a) In that same vein.. I should probably avoid breeds that are known to be on the more skittish side. This one is going to be part of the family, 100% in the midst of it. The budgies are out flying around my living room frequently, and they sit with us to watch tv in the evening. We haven't held back from noise around them and they have been awesome with it.

4) A likely talker would be AWESOME. I know that cannot be guaranteed.. still, one of the things I love most about interacting with animals is training. I love psychology and there is something deeply satisfying/thrilling to me about working with dogs/kids/birds in that teacher role. Earning their respect and watching them learn amazing things. I want to do tricks, obedience, any of it and all of it. Sadly my budgies are not that into it :)

5) Oil based feathers preferable, not dust. Not just for cleanliness and possible human allergies, but to protect the budgies too.

6) A bird that is more likely to be okay with touch. Just some head kisses, neck scritches, chilling on my shoulder .. I know full on cuddling is a no go.

Basically I LOVE my budgies but there are a few things that I wish we could add to our relationship. They do not like to be touched at all, they come to me for treats and such but nothing else. They will sit on a perch near me, but never on my shoulder. They will sit in my hand to eat but once they are done they fly away. They have fun with clicker training in very short bursts but not to the extent that we can do much.

Some breeds I have looked at/considered:

Cockatoos. I love how cuddly they are, but I worry that as much attention as I want to give them - it still might not be enough. These birds be crazy. Also, the dust. Mostly ruled them out.

Quakers. Their little faces are so CUTE. Their personalities seem good. But I worry about the cage aggression?

Eclectus. Gorgeous, friendly .. these guys seem awesome. Only two reservations with them so far. Keeping up with the non-pelleted diet.. I've started making and freezing chop for my budgies to get myself in that habit, but their mainstay is still pellets. And the hormones.. I've read they are particularly bad with these guys.

So. Opionions? Suggestions?
Am I letting potential horror stories scare me away from my best breed?
No bird is going to be flawless but is there a breed I might be missing that has more of the qualities I am into?

Sorry for the length but THANK YOU if you read and responded :)
Hello!

For your situation, I honestly wouldnā€™t recommend a parrot. I think a dove would actually suit your check marks much better.

Depending on their breeding, they are very tolerant and placid birds that would get along with families and smaller birds much better. If worse comes to worse, a peck from a dove will be MUCH less dangerous than any parrot. If anything, you would need to be more observant and concerned for the dove rather than the parakeets. They should do fine together outside of the cage, but donā€™t keep them in the same cage.

Theyā€™re very cuddly birds and donā€™t get as hormonal as parrots. According to some owners, you can actually pet their backs without many repercussions.

The only concern would be the dust. They can get very dusty when molting. But Iā€™ve heard that with good filters and air purifiers, people with allergies typically wonā€™t even be affected. I canā€™t say the same for budgies, but Iā€™ve seen a lot of people house them together and have no problems.

You wonā€™t find a bird that can tic off all of your requests, but I think a dove will be best for your situation rather than a parrot.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I would look at the different species of conures as they can be very affectionate birds (honestly most parrots are). Any large bird (bigger than a budgie) you are going to have to monitor so everyone is safe. If the budgies are out in the same room as the cages larger bird make sure the budgies can't land on the larger bird's cage and get their toes bitten off (this actually happens). Great that you are doing your research!

I also agree doves and pigeons are great pets as well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts