Two different breeds in the same cage

shelbylady123

Oct 4, 2014
Parrots
Jenday Conure and a Canary Winged Parakeet
I have a Jenday/Sun conure and a canary winged parakeet. I am very new to birds and have a question about their diets.

When we got the birds (just last week!) The previous owners gave us a bag of bird food. I have also been offering a wide variety of fruits and veggies (my birdies LOVE it) to try and get familiar with their preferences and don't plan on stopping spoiling my birdies any time soon!!!

My question is this: Since I have two different breeds of birds, do I need to worry about buying/offering different kinds of seed to them? I want to make sure that I am giving both my babies the right kind of food in their diet. I see Conure food and Parakeet food, but my CW parakeet is larger than the standard parakeet, so do I need to do anything different with their seed?? Or is he ok to eat the conure food I have and plan on buying in the future??

Thanks!!!:green2::orange:

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
There's a lot of weirdness to consider when having more than one species together but food seems less important than individual personalities. I have a cockatiel and a dove and a budgie that live together, but they have fairly similar needs overall, as do a lot of a birds. I make a seed/grain/pellet/veggie mix as their primary diet and they have been healthy and happy for years.

Most Reactions