Two sun conures had simultaneous seizures

Nerdgirl98

May 10, 2020
The strangest thing happened with my two sun conures today. They had simultaneous seizures. We have an open area from upstairs to downstairs so I decided to train my conures to fly down to me. That worked fine but when they wouldn't fly back up I decided to carry them up. On the way to the stairs I had to pass a cage with two Quakers inside. The conures jumped on the Quaker cage and all four of the birds were screaming at each other. I tried to pick up the conures but they resisted and started biting me. It was crazy but I did manage to keep anyone from getting bit. The conures moved to the stop of the cage and the Quakers weren't moving toward them so I pulled out my phone to record the commotion. In just a few seconds, both conures began having seizures. I caught it on the video but then stopped filming so my daughter and I could each pick up a conure. They recovered completely in less than 30 minutes. Has anyone heard of conures having seizures from being overly excited or aggressive? We didn't have anything environmental that could have caused any problems. The two Quakers were fine and there were two other caged conures a few feet away that didn't have type of problem.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
A bird can have a stress seizure-- they can also quite literally, die of fright (due to heart failure etc). Hopefully it isn't an indicator of shame shared underlying defect. Are they siblings?

OP
N

Nerdgirl98

May 10, 2020
They are 5 yr old male siblings that I've had since they were weeks old. They seem to be fine now. I'll be keeping extra watch out for them and I'll get them to the vet when funds permit or sooner. I don't have money coming in at the moment....just like a lot of other folks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts