Type of pellets to feed

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Why do you all feed your birds Harrison's? Mine loves the Zupreem fruit blend, but the red dyes seem to make it harder to clean up her poo. Consequently, red is her favorite.

I'm contemplating changing her, but she seems to love the banana shaped pieces since she can hold them easily.

I feed Harrison's for a couple of reasons. 1. 100% organic, 2. My birds love it.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks all where is the best place to buy Harrisons?

If you have a local bird store or pet store (not petsmart or petco) they should carry it. Or you can go directly to Harrison's website.

No local store that carries it. So should I order the coarse or fine? Thanks

Depends, does your bird adore foot food? If he does coarse is good. The fine is not good as a foot food. But I buy both. Rio will eat both because sometimes she likes to hold it with her foot. Fine = less waste. I want to try the peppered next. Rio loves peppers. :D

gatoremt

May 28, 2013
Thanks Hagrid likes to hold his food with his foot. We have not tried peppers? Saw that as a food choice. What kind of peppers can they eat? Thanks for all the help. This is our first bird.

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
Some birds like the pepper Harrison's better than the regular. I would get high potency course, you can always break it up some if you think smaller pieces would be better.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks Hagrid likes to hold his food with his foot. We have not tried peppers? Saw that as a food choice. What kind of peppers can they eat? Thanks for all the help. This is our first bird.

Oh all kinds of peppers. Fresh or dried. I like to get the dried ones you can buy in a package. They love the seeds too. Just make sure you don't touch your eyes.... Ouch :eek:

gatoremt

May 28, 2013

Oh all kinds of peppers. Fresh or dried. I like to get the dried ones you can buy in a package. They love the seeds too. Just make sure you don't touch your eyes.... Ouch :eek:

Like jalapeño and chili? Bell peppers?

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

Like jalapeño and chili? Bell peppers?

Yep all the above. :D

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Wow that just surprises me. I guess it does not burn them. SMH

Not at all, they love spicy foods. Cayenne pepper is a favorite of mine, enough to make my mouth burn, but she's unfazed, doesn't even want a sip of water after.

gatoremt

May 28, 2013
I ordered some Harrisons should be here in a couple of days. Went to the store and bought some dried chills we will see how he likes them

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Harrison's is better than Zupreem... or at least it should be. Harrison's doesn't have dyes in it, nor does it have table sugar....

When Charlie ate Zupreem Fruitblend, his droppings were loose and colored. What if he ended up with blood in his droppings? How would I know if they were dyed?

If a bird eats dyed pellets and the droppings aren't dyed, where is the dye going?

When I put Charlie on the Zupreem Natural, his droppings became normal color and shape.

On Harrion's, he's become pudgy...

Jayde, my new girl, lost weight on the trip over here. Since introducing Harrison's into her diet, she's put the weight back on, and I think she now weighs more than she did in her previous home! (but she's not fat)

I'm also trying to get my bourke parakeet to gain weight, and as per yesterdays meal, my bourke parakeet, which weighs about 3 1/2 times less than Jayde can apparently eat the same amount of food as her... o_O My bourke is underweight and has some health problems, so I'm hoping that the Harrison's can help her gain back the weight she's been missing for years, and maybe help her immune system.

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
Has anyone else here tried, "Vetafarm Complete Naturals Pellets." Thats what I give to my birds, along with fresh fruits and veges and seeds for treats of course. They like it quite alot, and it is very nutritionally beneficial for the birds. Just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of it, I am not sure if its Australian only though.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Vetafarm is a predominantly Australian/New Zealand food... as far as I know it's not available here in the states, but I could be wrong! I think I've seen Vetafarm supplements for sale before, so it's not unlikely... I've always wondered how Vetafarm compares to our USA brands!

MsPony

Aug 14, 2013
Does anyone feed Lafebers daily diet? My gcc has the complete zupreem line and I ordered Lafebers too. Just curious!

Most Reactions

Latest posts