Uh ohhh Parrot Nuggets

Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
Caught our wee man heading out the door to 'play' with our dogs...he was muttering 'Good Booooooyyyy' as he walked towards them.
Fearing him being made swiftly into parrot nuggets I grabbed him shortly after this photo was taken. My young daughter who took the photo didn't think there was any potential danger...she was swiftly put right.
The odd thing was the dogs were actually totally disinterested. Later in the day Diesel tried to climb onto one of their backs. They are more scared of him that he is of them it seems. Will keep my eye on the bold adventurer. :11::11::11::11::11:

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
:eek:

What a bold baby you've got there!!!!! Reminds me of Willie getting off his cage chasing after the dogs around the house on the floor. Pad locks was enforced afterwards so he couldn't open his cage to get on the floor to chase dogs....lol
It would quite cute when it happened as Willie was calling their names and playing chase and they run from him as he goes for their paws.

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
I think dogs are good with birds. It's cats you need to be careful of! My birds love my dogs. My cockatiel Rocky was sitting on my chihuahua's back this morning while I was getting ready for work :) I just know not to let me birds near the dogs when they are eating, or have a bone etc

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
Also every night after work I take my birds into my bed with the three dogs and they all get along just fine.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My first Bull Terrier broke into my Dad's aviary one night, completely without warning, and killed two of his four Galahs. It was horrendous! The dog had previously shown no interest in the birds whatsoever and it was around midnight when the tragedy happened: the birds would have been roosting right at the top of their cage. Needless to say, I had to relinquish the dog to the RSPCA as Dad refused to allow me to keep it after that. :(

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
My first Bull Terrier broke into my Dad's aviary one night, completely without warning, and killed two of his four Galahs. It was horrendous! The dog had previously shown no interest in the birds whatsoever and it was around midnight when the tragedy happened: the birds would have been roosting right at the top of their cage. Needless to say, I had to relinquish the dog to the RSPCA as Dad refused to allow me to keep it after that. :(
Yes well a bull terrier or any pitt bull kind of dog is another kettle of fish

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
My Quaker used to enjoy grooming my past German Shepherd. He was trained to deal with any situation, so I never worried about it, however, I would NOT recommend doing this at home. I am an animal behaviorist and trainer and know how to read for signs of stress in both dogs and birds.

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
My 4 German Shepherds would munch down on my fids if given the opportunity to do so. They have very strong prey drives, to say the least. They've killed rats, and even a couple of cats that had jumped over our 8 foot fence into our back yard before.:(

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
Sorry Betrisher, I realised my response to you sounded really rude. I was being narrow-minded and only thinking on my own dogs. I agree with everyone here you have to be SO careful.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The German Shepherd that I used to have, he was VERY gentle with all my animals. He have never hurt or kill any animals, even the ones outside. He lays there and plays with them. I used to have bunnies and the bunnies loves him lots and they play together. He helps me herd the geese back into their house at night due to coyotes and what not around as I lived out in the country side. BUT even with all that sweetness, he was my protector as he will not allow anyone to hurt me. He does not allow strangers to come near the house. I never leash him as he never runs out of the yard ever. He was one of the best dogs I've ever owned. I raised him with all the other animals around since he was 8 weeks old.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Thanks, Lisa! Much appreciated!

The dog that did the damage was a rescue dog who had a foul background. My current Bully, Miss Alice, has never once put a foot wrong in over seventeen years of being a family member. Truly, you only get rotten dogs out of rotten owners!

You might be interested to know that Bull Terriers were bred as gentlemen's companions, not for the fighting pit, despite Hollywood portrayals to the contrary. :)

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
:green1: Can someone let me know if the link to my video works? It's a like straight to Photobucket so not sure if that works!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yes well a bull terrier or any pitt bull kind of dog is another kettle of fish

My grandma used to have a pet crow that was very friendly with her dog (some kind of smaller, curly haired dog, I'm not real familiar with dog breeds). Never was the dog once aggressive towards the crow, they actually really seemed to like each other, but one day they were "playing", under supervision, and the dog moved it's paw in just the wrong way. Snapped the crows neck, and he died instantly. Dog didn't intend to do it, but accidents do happen. I would be so careful with even the sweetest, best behaved, no-agressive breed dog ever.

Most Reactions

Latest posts