Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
Just had a very stressful night.

I was getting ready to go out for the night, Tukki was on the head like she likes to be. Without giving it too much thought I put on some mascara... and Tukki reached down and grabbed the wand, which had some goop still on it.

I quickly washed my hands and had her bite my figure, trying to get all of it out of her beak. I think I got all of it, but who knows if I did.

So I went into panic mode. I got her to drink some water, while I called the 24 hour exotic pet hospital in LA (Wilshire animal hospital). They suggested I call animal poison control before bringing her in.

So I did (the number is 1-888-426-4435 if anyone wants it). It costs $65 but it's 24 hrs and they have vets on hand to help.

I gave the doctor all of Tukki's info, and the info on the mascara brand. She looked into all of the ingredience. There were a few things in there that weren't good, but nothing that would really hurt her. Maybe some diarreah or regurgetation, but she didn't think even that would happen.

I just had to feed her some fruit, and give her as much water as I could to dillute the stuff and keep an eye on her. So far so good. It's been about 3 hours, and no signs of distress. Except she is sick of me pushing water on her, and a bit sleepy (it is 2am after all... so please also forgive all spelling mistake).

Just wanted to tell the story in case this happens to anyone else, and to spread the word about animal poison control. It's expensive... but not as expensive as the emergency vet visit would have been.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Sounds like a horrible evening - but couldn't have been handled better. Hope the two of you are in good shape in the morning!

OP
ziggybird

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Tukki is doing just fine this morning. Her stool looked normal, she's eating fine, and running around on her play perch and doing gymnastics as usual, like nothing happened at all.

I, however, am still recovering from the stress!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I'm so sorry your evening turned out badly. Thanks for sharin gthe animal poison control number, maybe a Moderator could make the number a sticky under healthcare so it is handy if someone needs it.

OP
ziggybird

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
That's a great idea. They really were wonderful.

They also give you a case number, so if you need further assistance you can call them back, and you won't be charged twice.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ack!!!! Poor tukki!! Glad she's feeling ok and nothing bad came of it!

Thanks for the animal poison control phone number- I wrote it down so I can save it in my phone later.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
She most likely didn't even ingest any of it but what a scare! Thank you for posting. It's a good reminder to all of us to be ever-vigilant.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Good to hear Tukki is okay. Good reminder for us all, especially in bathrooms and kitchens (toothbrushes, open tubes of stuff, canopeners, etc.) with all the things that get put down, even if just for a minute.

OP
ziggybird

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Very true!

Especially cause my little girl has the mentality of "Oh, you don't want me to touch that? Guess what, now that is the ONLY thing I want to play with!"

Most Reactions