Unexpectadly out of my depth,..

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Those are great, very cute bird Red! I don't know much about the iris thing that was mentioned...to me (I don't own a budgie anymore, and I'm no expert) the cere looks bluish/purplish, so that would indicate male. However, if this is a very young bird, that may change...I will allow the budgie owners/experts to correct or clarify this for you. :)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Actually ... hold on, let me think ... *thinking .... thinking .... thinking* .... THERE IT IS ... there is a way to tell how old a budgie is but the stripe patterns on his head ... hold on a second *running to the internet ... *

FOUND IT!!

Here it is ... http://www.budgieplace.com/age.html

looks like you have a young one there Red ... less than 4 months old ...

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
He is supposed to be a baby, just out of the nest. He is supposed to be hand reared and wing clipped.
He is very very quiet. No fear of anything and his wing is certainly clipped.
I have yet to hear a single chirp out him yet, but I will let him settle down.
HELP HELP HELP. Debbie want him to live outside,...in the cold. Its bloody cold here in the Mornings (Like 2 degrees Celsius). Surely that would kill a baby bird?
I in a tricky spot here as the guy next door has 20 or so small birds in an aviary next door, so my argument is looking weak. I need back up here from experts to keep the bird inside till the weather improves.
Edit; HE JUST CHIRPED AND MOVED.
2ND EDIT; HE IS ON THE BOTTOM OF HIS CAGE, EATING

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Put your foot down Red ... Be a man! Gilligan stays inside until it gets warmer! Don't let Debbie push you around!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
My question to you:
How could anyone make this baby live outside in the cold?
IMG_8707.jpg

Please petition my wife and stop this travesty of justice.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
OMG Gilligan is so cute! Yep he's a young little boy. Oh i forgot to add. Don't get a round cage. Bird's feel insecure in round cages. They need corners. dome tops are fine. as long as they're corners. Rectangle/square cages are best.
He looks half english. He looks normal blue dilute opaline im no pro at mutations though. if you really want to know i can ask someone from another forum.

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
He is a cutie, I'm glad he is finally moving around and comfortable. He should inside because it is too cold. You could tell Debbie that the birds in the aviary have each other to keep themselves warm, so this little guy would freeze all by himself. He'll be happier indoors and get better socialized being able to see you guys all the time. Hope that helps!

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Wow your new fid is so cute Red!I'm sure he is in good hands now!

Excellent pictures....:D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
He is a cutie, I'm glad he is finally moving around and comfortable. He should inside because it is too cold. You could tell Debbie that the birds in the aviary have each other to keep themselves warm, so this little guy would freeze all by himself. He'll be happier indoors and get better socialized being able to see you guys all the time. Hope that helps!

See why I love this woman :07::07:, she's a smarty ... all this time you guys thought I was coming up with all these ideas all by myself ... welp, I guess my secrete is out! :18:

:50:

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
eeek Meghan I don't want to rub you up the wrong way but...
- Red, do your research on grit, just because its one of those controversial matters, I believe it should be there and Pete certainly has it.
- I'm not convinced hes a boy. I'll get Petes baby photo up after work and you'll see why (shes a female.)

Sorry! I know these forums are a space for our opinions but I still feel bad disagreeing with anyone

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... but I still feel bad disagreeing with anyone ...

Why, you think we are going to kick you out of the flock? Look at how much trouble Red stirs up and we all still love him! :D

You SHOULD disagree with people, it makes for great conversation AND if there are two points of view that are directly in conflict with each other someone just might do some research and find out what is best for all of our fids!

DISAGREEMENT IS GOOD! As long as it is done in a constructive way!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Agree with Tex there, Yeah disagreement makes us all think and thats a good thing.

T

tielgal

Well, I'm no expert, but I think Gilligans a boy, but hey, i could be wrong, it's been known to happan! :D

One thing I do know is, Gilligan is very, very gorgeous!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
bored... think I will post some info on grit
back when I was raising chickens and ducks it was a must, and if you didnt give it to them they would eat the sand out side. (which is worse) but you only need to give it so the babies and when you read below it will tell you why.

What Does Grit Do?

Birds in the wild tend to eat a significant amount of food. After all, they burn a lot of calories flying throughout the day. Birds are not too particular and will ingest some items that are easy to digest and some items that are not. The purpose of grit is thought to help the bird grind up difficult to digest items. By grinding, it is thought that these food items become better utilized by the bird. The grit is mostly undigestible material. It will stay in the ventriculus, or gizzard, for months to years until it is passed in the stool.

The gizzard is the primary grinding organ. This muscular part of the digestive system attempts to grind up large particles, such as husks and shells. With the assistance of rocks or sand, the grinding becomes easy and more effective.

For birds in captivity, their diets are selected for them. Most seeds are already husked or shelled and can be easily broken up by the bird's beak and gizzard. The ideal diet of pellets is even easier to digest. Whether or not birds in captivity need grit is a question of ongoing debate.

Who Needs Grit?

Since the primary purpose of grit is to help remove husks and shells from seeds, birds that ingest whole seeds, like doves, would likely be the best candidates for needing grit in their diets.

In the psittacine world, most parrots are able to remove the husks and shells with their beaks. For this reason, these species do not require grit in their diets. In the passerine world, canaries, finches, etc, are also usually able to remove the shells with their beaks and do not typically need grit to help in digestion. And, as mentioned earlier, birds on pelleted diets don't need grit.

Whether or not you offer your bird grit is a personal choice. Many birds have lived long healthy lives without ever ingesting grit. When fed an easily digested, appropriate diet, grit is not a dietary requirement.

If you feel that grit will help your bird, or if your veterinarian has recommended grit to help with digestive problems, make sure you offer the grit sparingly. Don't just fill a cup with grit and allow your bird free access. Over-ingestion of grit has caused intestinal obstructions and impactions. One suggestion is to offer a very small amount of grit, such as 1/8 – 1/2 teaspoon every 2 years. (Yes, every 2 years). Since insoluble grit will remain in the gizzard for months to years, very little is needed, if any at all. Some people recommend a small amount of soluble grit every few weeks. Consult your veterinarian to determine which is best for your specific bird.

What To Watch For

Grit is a controversial issue because of the problems it can cause. Overuse can lead to impactions and obstructions. Some grit formulations have charcoal included. Try to avoid these mixtures since charcoal can affect the absorption of certain necessary vitamins and minerals.

T

tielgal

Thanks for the information chi, I didn't know half of that stuff!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
See people I am good for something

Oh yes you really are, the trouble we're have is deciding what. :D :D :D

No really you do give us all a good laugh, yep even when its peta bashing. :D :D but expecially when its Tex bashing. :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
NZ- Your budgie is a handsome male English Budgie, i can see it in your siggy.

Ughh debates always get me in a lot of trouble at forums because i always go way too far. So anyway after just receiving a warning from some crazy lady(like I'm going to take that seriously) at cockatiel forum about grates here i am here about to debate about grit.

So anyway here i go will try not to take to far.

Grit is NOT needed for Hook bills. Finches and Canaries, i don't know. I've never really researched them, I've heard yes they do though whether that's true or not who knows. Anyway Grit causes complications and like Darkchi stated in her article, it builds up, and that's how birds get a lot of these complications. You do not ever need grit, as it is provided in cuttlebone. Strong believers don't even feed their birds cuttlebone, but lava rock or Manu instead. I give my birds cuttlebone because it's more convenient, as the closest place that sells manu is about an hour away, and it's cheaper.

I'll come back to this.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Hi - I'm a little confused. The thread seemed to start with Gilligan and moved elsewhere... I think.

Anyway, from a sage old 'keeter and the daughter of a sage 'keet breeder (my Mom's NOT old...)... I have a Senegal now, but only keets in my past... lot's of keets!!

Gilligan is a young bird, but not a baby. As the stripes don't go all the way, he/she is already in teenager/adult transition. The rule of thumb is the smaller the bird's body (not including tail), the shorter the maturity.

Keets are also the ultimate 'prey' animal. Their natural instinct is to fly or stay still until they are comfortable in their environment. In the first few days, it's natural for them to be less active. The key thing is for them to find their water and food source (you can tell by shaved hulls). Try to position the cage in a cornered area (two walls). If not, keep partially covered. Also, regarding training - trim the wings.

Mirrors are not necessarily bad. It's the mirror itself. One that is stationary that shows the 'full bird view' is bad. A small mirror that doesn't give a full image and moves can be of comfort. We liked the round ones that hung from a chain. A very timid keet will be comforted by 'a friend.' Use your gut judgment with a mirror. When I had keets, most had mirrors from day 1 and it wasn't a problem.

As for grit... I'm an anti-gritter. I only used it in minute amounts and that was after Gatorade or Pedialyte didn't help tummy troubles. (Of course, all used with vet consultation or with keet wisdom.) Your big concern isn't grit - it's nutrition as keets are tough to get onto a balanced diet. The good news is keets poop - a lot!! Any change on that front is worth watching, treating, and 'vet-a-going.'

This is where I love mirrors and how you can use mirrors. My mom's trick was to place one of those dangling mirrors in front of a veggie. It gave the appearance (especially since it moved) that the other 'keet was eating the veggie. Mirrors aren't a bad thing for a young one.

This is also the one fid where I'm a clipped wing advocate. They're fast, as they are an ultimate prey animal.

Per Mom (and she had and bred keets for almost 45 years), keep your movements slow, act quickly at any sign of illness, and of utmost importance, have a hearty laugh ready!!

Good luck!

Most Reactions