Unexpectadly out of my depth,..

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Hi - I'm a little confused. The thread seemed to start with Gilligan and moved elsewhere... I think.

Keupi, threads here are usually not linear :D ...

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
US ... STAY ON TOPIC ... for more than three posts in a thread ... that NEVER HAPPENS!:eek::D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
US ... STAY ON TOPIC ... for more than three posts in a thread ... that NEVER HAPPENS!:eek::D

Sorry... gasp... whack me upside with a wing...

It's getting to close to football season and as a PSU gal... I'm too focused on teaching my fid stadium cheers!! My keet (notice, on topic) Fritzy (RIP) could whistle in tune to PSU fight songs... Not that I'm biased. Or off topic... :D

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Exactly my point Meghan!!
She had me fooled to.
I will post an updated photo when I find the cameras battery charger
Its an incredibly dark brown, and very crusty when its baby budgie season.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Exactly my point Meghan!!
She had me fooled to.
I will post an updated photo when I find the cameras battery charger
Its an incredibly dark brown, and very crusty when its baby budgie season.

Now that i look closer it does sort of look dark brown. If it's crusty brown it means she's in breeding season.

Yes an updated picture would be helpful.

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
I know.
She IS female, yet even her breeder picked her as male.
But her baby pictures match Gilligans.
I'm not saying the wee cutie isn't a male, I'm just saying its to early to know for sure yet, it could swing either way.

As for Grit, I wont be convinced any other way, because Pete has so much fun with it and her vet has said its fine.

Online evidence:

http://www.animalz.co.nz/library/library.asp?action=view&tip=89
Budgies are seed eaters but require some greens and fruit to maintain good health. They need a good supply of mixed seeds and grit. Budgies (and all other birds) cannot easily crush their food so they eat particles of grit. The grit mixes with the food and grinds it down into a paste-like texture through the natural digestive system of the bird. Grit can be used in the cage by sprinkling on the floor, by leaving it in a pot next to the main diet or by mixing with the main diet at a ratio of 1:10. (1 part grit to 10 parts main diet.) They also need fresh water daily.

http://rnzspca.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52
Cage Floors must be covered. - Special sanded paper can be bought from pet shops, or you can use grit, clean sand or newspaper. If using newspaper, keep grit in a little dish in the cage as it is a necessary and important part of a birds diet.

http://www.tki.org.nz/r/science/caring_for_animals/animal_care/birds/caring_e.php

Cuttlefish bone and oyster-shell grit provide minerals that are essential for crop function.

Etc

Of course we cant believe everything we read, and we could all find evidence online to back up our claims, even when they are exact contradictions of one another.

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Wait how old is Gilligan?... NZ is right, it's too early to tell if there under about 4 months, or until they've had their first molt. They usually have their first molt at around between 4-8 months, though i find it's usually clear what it is at 3 or 4 months.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
He is meant to be just out of the nest.
He is young and cheeky.
Doesn't like to sit on our hand.
Not scared but prefers to be back in his cage, so he often flies off and hits the floor with a thud.
I will keep at it.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
He is meant to be just out of the nest.
He is young and cheeky.
Doesn't like to sit on our hand.
Not scared but prefers to be back in his cage, so he often flies off and hits the floor with a thud.
I will keep at it.

Are his wings clipped? Because if they are i should warn you now they you will have no luck until he reaches his next molt and he gets them back.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
He has one of his wings clipped.
that's why he keeps hitting the floor when he tries to fly away from us.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
He has one of his wings clipped.
that's why he keeps hitting the floor when he tries to fly away from us.

Clip the other, or get a vet or someone who knows how if you dont know how to clip the other. It's dangerous to only have only one clipped.

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
I agree with your there Meghan, I believe at that age they should not be clipped as they are still learning to fly. If they are to be clipped, at least if both are done they can glide/jump in a straight line without going in circles and crashing.

One of my clients at work is a small pet vet, obviously specializing in cats and dogs. Her theory for one wing clipping is so they cant learn to fly with clipped wings.

Personally, I'm happy for a fully flighted budgie. It keeps her fit and healthy. Birds, esp the lil ones, don't have high chances of surviving in the wild. At least if Pete gets out, she can outfly a cats pounce.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I have to agree with the masses on this one ... it's not a good idea to leave one wing clipped and not the other ... birds can hurt themselves even worse than if they didn't have any feathers clipped at all ...

Get the clip evened out ... on the small guys leaving the outer 4 flight feathers (and clipping the other 6) is more than enough to keep them safe should they fall from a perch or some where else. This will also allow SOME flight and mobility

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
:confused: Never heard of a one wing clip before :confused: Bad idea.

Are his wings clipped? Because if they are i should warn you now they you will have no luck until he reaches his next molt and he gets them back.

:confused: I'm working on only a few sips of coffee, but what do you mean Megan -- "you will have no luck"? My babies have always been clipped and it facilitated the step-up, play, learning, bonding phases. :confused:

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
We went ove the whole one wing clipped thing with Red before... he has Skippa clipped like that to I think

and I also agree with it not being right, as does my vet :p

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
:confused: Never heard of a one wing clip before :confused: Bad idea.

:confused: I'm working on only a few sips of coffee, but what do you mean Megan -- "you will have no luck"? My babies have always been clipped and it facilitated the step-up, play, learning, bonding phases. :confused:

He will have no luck in teaching/training his bird to fly if they're clipped.

Last edited:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
He will have no luck in teaching/training his bird to fly if they're clipped.

ah! Like I said, I'd only had less than a few sips of java in my system! LOL :D

Most Reactions