unknown conversation

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Every night before bedtime me and Sammy sat and have our Lil chats... he will sat on my hand and we talk back and forth. I start asking him if he is ready to go " nite nite " and it starts.
He will stare eye to eye with me and he chats up a storm. when i stop talking , he starts. He stops, i start. Just like a normal huan to human conversation. Its adorable. Trouble is , i cant understand him lol ..... i swear it sounds like he says the same thing over and over. Its just so fast and low i cant make out anyof his words , and no , im not nuts . Lol in the end i ask if he is ready for nite nite again and finally I understand a word ... a slow , whispery " yesssssss" lol then he will step down in his date on the perch. If I put him in before I get that " yes" he refuses yo step down and if I force him to all you hear is the most pityful cry and screaming sound. My husband swears his head is gonna start spinning around when he does this. Lol.
I just wish I could understand our conversations a little bit.
Does anyone else have this issue ? I usually tell Sammy to stop with the Spanish and come back to English lol it really is some of my best times with him though

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
My amazon has a "conversation" that we can't understand. It is in a deep voice and she sounds kind of possessed when she does it:11:. The first time she did it, hubby and I were talking and she just out of the blue started up...we both froze, not knowing whether to run from the room or laugh. It sounds kind of like a telephone conversation?? I always wondered if it was because her previous owner had her in a separate part of the house...can't really explain it...she was in like a porch that had a separate outside entrance. Maybe that's what it sounded like to her through the walls?? I don't know, but when she does it, it is freaky!:eek:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
My patty does that, though the conversation is with herself, after the lights are turned out and she's getting settled in. Sometimes, if she can't get right to sleep, I'll hear the latch on her cage click, then a couple of minutes later, the click, click, click of her waddling across the kitchen floor and about 3 minutes later I feel her climbing up my bed. She makes this journey via the night light on the water/ice dispenser of the refrigerator, which does not shine in my bedroom or the hall to it.....

She'll climb up on my pillow and sleep there.....on those nights, I don't sleep well because I will wake up to turn over, being aware that she's there on the pillow...she's a big enough bird that there's no threat of her getting squashed. I'm not a very hard sleeper, compliments of combat experiences...the one time I know I rolled towards her, I got a beak to the head, so she's aware too.....

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
My amazon has a "conversation" that we can't understand. It is in a deep voice and she sounds kind of possessed when she does it:11:. The first time she did it, hubby and I were talking and she just out of the blue started up...we both froze, not knowing whether to run from the room or laugh. It sounds kind of like a telephone conversation?? I always wondered if it was because her previous owner had her in a separate part of the house...can't really explain it...she was in like a porch that had a separate outside entrance. Maybe that's what it sounded like to her through the walls?? I don't know, but when she does it, it is freaky!:eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bird who sounds like he's possessed! Kiwi talks in this "demon voice" sometimes. He likes to say "pretty bird, pretty pretty pretty pretty" and "NONONONONONONONONONO!" in this creepy monster voice. He seems really happy when he's doing it, too. It's kind of awesomely creepy.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Ya. Larry starts speaking Portuguese to me all the time. I don't understand a word he is saying. He just rambles on and it's adorable. I always ask him 'what are you saying?'
Now, would you believe me if I told you I hear him opening his cage, leaving the house for several hours in the middle of the night, coming home again, going to the freezer, opening the refrigerator to get the ingredients to make some magnificent ice cream seed shake, use the blender (he never cleans it himself) then locking himself back up in his cage, thinking I have no idea what's really going on?
OK. Then you're not crazy hehe :)

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Louise, my Blue Front is a babbler, or a mumbler. She can say 'hello' clearly and that's about it. Every day I take time to read to my birds and she'll mumble right along. The parakeet chatters and the cockatiels do their thing. Barney hangs upside down by a toe just to add a little drama to our together time. Eh, that's what pets are all about!

sunnyvmx

Nov 9, 2012
Media
Moved to Chapala, Mexico six years ago.
Parrots
Seven cockatiels, Pepe (gray pied) and Miko (lutino), and Lola (pearl), Josie (cinnamon) and Jose (whiteface pied). Coco is pure white male and Rocky is gray pied. Lilac Crowned Amazon - Chu Chu
ChuChu has a one sided phone greeting like this, "Hello, how are you? GOOD! Cracks me up. And, of course, it's preceeded by the phone ringing.

He and the new pup have been learning how to play together. He comes down onto the play stand platform and she makes little charges at him, but she's very cautious of his beak. Finally she draws back her little soft nose and offers him one paw. It's as if she will risk one paw, but not her nose. He gently takes hold of a toe and then lets it go. This tickles her and she runs around in a circle and back to do it again.

The other play trick is to grab hold of the rope he's hanging from and give it a good toss sending him swinging wildly around flapping and squawking. He drops p-nuts for her to eat and then she has p-nut butter breath which is an improvement over some of the things she finds to eat.

Most Reactions

Latest posts