Unplanned Cage Purchase

jnesbitt82

Feb 19, 2014
Well, you know how it is. You're shopping for a new bird, making sure you have all the proper toys, food, and supplies needed before their arrival. Then you stumble across the cages. Now, you don't need a cage. It just so happens that if you had a slightly bigger cage, then all those toys, perches, and ladders may not feel so cluttered. Well, thats where I was with my thoughts this past weekend. Long story short, A new 168lb cage is in route to us. It didn't have any reviews listed so I'm hoping its not a dud. What do you guys think? We purchased one in powder coated charcoal color.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've seen that same exact cage in person before when I picked up my ekkies years ago as that was the same exact cage they were in. I do not like the cage due to the door location. It does not work well if your trying to train a bird. Or if something fells down on the left side you can hardly reach it. Except by going through the bottom part of the cage.

OP
J

jnesbitt82

Feb 19, 2014
I guess I was caught up in the extra space. lol The size they have listed is 42 Inches wide x 28 Inches deep with an inside height of 59 Inches
Overall height 70" - 1/2 Inch bar spacing

I also liked how the play area was part of the cage. Hopefully, it will be here soon and I can see it in person.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
They have that cage in our local bird store. It looks like it would be a good cage overall. Let us know how you like it.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm sure your new bird won't mind the extra space and I'm sure you'll get used to the door being positioned that way.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
that is a rather awkward spot for the door, but other than that, i think its pretty cool. what kind of bird are you getting? :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I really wanted a cage like that for my Pi, but couldn't find it here in Canada for a decent price and the shipping was too much from the states. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

OP
J

jnesbitt82

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks Everyone! My cage is now with RL Carriers and is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

that is a rather awkward spot for the door, but other than that, i think its pretty cool. what kind of bird are you getting? :D
I am getting a pineapple GC from a local breeder. :)

I really wanted a cage like that for my Pi, but couldn't find it here in Canada for a decent price and the shipping was too much from the states. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!
I got mine from windycityparrots.com I think they sell for $699 but I got 15% off my first order.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
]i got 2 cages that almost looks like that one.
You get used to the door ,it is not that bad really.
Besides if i need to do anything at that side and i can't reach it,i just pull off the playstand.
I build it so i can rip the playstand and the piece with the bars off.
It isn't original so.
This is mine,
20140222_205920_zps44fc7c4b.jpg

Last edited:

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
Do you think this cage would be okay for an Eleonora cockatoo cause I'm hesitating wbetween this one and a taller one but les large... What do you think?

I like a lot the extra room to play on the side so the higher part can be unclutter for the bird to hang upside down play and sleep...

Audray

OP
J

jnesbitt82

Feb 19, 2014
My cage arrived today! There was some issue with the semi being able to come to my house, so I met him at a local factory. We broke the skid down and loaded the cage into my Durango.

The cage ships in two flat boxes. This caught me off guard as my other cage is welded together. This entire thing bolts together. It is bigger than I thought it would be. The directions are horrible! There is one page with 6 sketches and no words. There are a few things I didn't like. Where the top of the cage opens up, there are no bushings where it hinges. It hinges on two bolts, one from either end, and its metal to metal. I know there was some concern about being able to access the side of the cage without the door. The way this is designed, the cage top under the play area is not bolted down. So the tray can be removed, then the top of the cage may be removed for easy access. According to the bill of lading, the cage weighs 230lbs. The casters are heavy duty and I am able to push the cage around on carpet. I am currently setting up the decorations but if anyone would like more info on this cage, let me know. I haven't seen any other infer for it on the web. Now, the pictures. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 198
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 197
  • image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 233

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've always loved that style of cage. When I see one like that, the door always strikes me as being too small, and 'hard to clean' because of the small door always comes to mind. THAT is the main reason I haven't seriously considered a cage like that.
hacatta showed a pic which has a big door, but the ones I've seen in the US have the small door. Let us know how it works and if it is not too hard to clean or awkward because of the door :)

Most Reactions