Update on Rojo (28 yr old Cherry Head Conure)

freakaccident

Dec 8, 2015
So Rojo is still pulling along at 28 years old now. He thinks he is a baby and wants that attention. He actually clicks as I type sometimes. He also 'Woofs" when the dog barks. Feeding time is a mess of noise. The dog barks for food and Rojo cheers him on. I wish I could get Rojo on video doing it but it is very random. The dog, a miniature pinscher is afraid of rojo. Outside of feeding time Rojo is very quiet for a Conure. He talks a bit here and there but isn't overly loud. We pay a lot of attention to him though.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
This is a great update! I'm happy to hear Rojo is doing doing so well. He sounds like a real sweetheart.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't know how old my cherry headed conure was when I got him, only that he had at least 2 homes prior to mine and was with me for 8 years. (I think the estimates were below his actual age...) He was, by far, not a loud conure. He wasn't necessarily friendly either... or rather, he didn't crave human attention. He was happier being by himself or with his cage buddy. Although I have 3 conures now, none of them are cherry heads, and I miss having one! :)

Hopefully, Rojo can enjoy many happy years with you, yet! :D

OP
F

freakaccident

Dec 8, 2015
29 years and still going. He's becoming demanding. We bought him an out of the cage perch stand. He cries like a baby or screams until you get him out of his cage and put him on the stand the moment we get home. He still barks like a dog when the dog barks, makes kissing noises when asked for kisses, and poos on my shoulder nightly while I watch NetFlix. Still picks at the feathers on his behind even though we pay a lot of attention to him. He LOVES freeze dried banana chips and almonds.

The store we bought Zoopreem fruity pebbles food at stopped selling it. It is beige and no fruity smell now. I made him stick to it. He has started to eat it.

That's the update. Still going at 29.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I so so SO resonate to your post!

HANG IN THERE!

Patagonian HUGZSZSZSZSZS to you two!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I certainly hope Skitty is still going strong at that age! He's only six and I'm about to be 40. lol

Most Reactions